Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2023 - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2023 - 23 Sep. 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2023 at 3:50am
Good Sunday morning everyone.  Don't forget to "spring forward" into Daylight Savings Time today.  Yup, it's our semi-annual time to mess with the clocks, as long as you don't live in Arizona.  They are the only state that has stayed on one time all year long.  But I understand that a number of states are looking at staying fixed in one timeslot.  I believe that Colorado is one that once we move to Daylight Savings Time, we will stay there in that time slot forever more.  No more jumping back and forth.  I'm not sure how that's going to work with Wyoming and New Mexico.  Should be interesting to see how it all works out.  

Anyway, I received one form this past week, from Bashline.  That brings us to 70 forms so far.  We've got 7 weeks left until May 1st, lottery day.  If you're thinking about coming to FCT, please get your form in before the end of April.  

The plow Jeep has been sitting for most of the winter with nothing to do.  I've only been out twice this winter to plow.  It's been a very dry winter for us here in the Upper Arkansas River valley.  Even the mountain snows have been light.  I read that this basin is at 70% of normal snowpack so far this winter.  We just had our first "spring" rain Friday night. We got one tenth of an inch of rain.  Typical rain for us in the valley.  The mountains around us got snow.  Monarch ski area, 45 minutes away, got 11 inches of white stuff overnight.  If our weather pattern does not bring us more moisture, we could have a very dry year, and a high fire danger all summer long.  Thirsty Dirt Ranch will live up to it's name. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 6:43pm
Wish I could send some!   We got an inch just yesterday, I think.   Very soggy.   We're on the north edge of those atmospheric rivers flowing through California.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 7:59am
Good Sunday morning.  This is the weekly Fall Color Tour registration report.  I got 2 forms this week, bringing our total so far to 72.  They were from Vogelzang and Wagner.  I don't have much to report in my Jeep world other than I've figured out where I'm going to add 4 more shelves in the shop to the 6 I already have, to lay out all the pieces and parts that I bought from my friend Dennis.  He's out of the Jeep rebuild business due to a heart attack.  He's OK now but decided to sell off his parts inventory.  I bought it all, and am struggling to find spaces and places to put it all out where I can find a part that I might go looking for.  

So if you happen to be in the neighborhood and wanna help me straighten out some 2x4's and build some shelves, I'll give you a beer and put you to work with me. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 10:31am
We may be wandering around your area about late May or early June. If you’re still in need of help let us know.
Bill T
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2023 at 11:54am
I have been doing the vertical sorting also.    These shelves are fast and easy, offer some advantages over wood.

Edited by willys54wagon - 19 Mar. 2023 at 12:01pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2023 at 3:31am
Thanks Bill, I've always got some project in the works, sometimes two or three.  Stop by if you're nearby.

Thanks Steve, I wish we had a Menard's nearby.  But I've already got the 2x4's for the shelves I'm planning.  It's just that some of the 12 footers have a little curve to them.  I should be able to straighten them out using some heavy duty clamps.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2023 at 6:01am
Good Sunday morning. Here is this past week's Fall Color Tour registration report.  I received one form this past week, from Downs.  This brings our total to 73.  We've got just over one month left before the lottery.  And just a couple of weeks left before taxes are due.  

I know that some of you in the south don't need a heated shop to work on your Jeep. Temps in the south are already getting into the 90's in some places.  Well, not here in the mountains.  It's a chilly 13 degrees here this morning.  Forecasters say it's not likely to get above 30 here today.  My shop is not heated at all and working on Jeeps when it's 25 degrees just doesn't work for this old man.  I'm anxious for spring to arrive at our mountain home so I can spend more time tinkering in the shop.  Folks who have been here know that I have a two barrel stove in the shop, and lots of scrap wood to burn.  The problem is that unless you're within 10 feet of the stove you're not getting warm. All the heat goes up, and I've got a 22 foot ceiling in the shop.  A long way above the floor where I do my  work.  I guess I'll work in the house on my next tile project instead. Have a good week. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2023 at 9:41pm
Hey Mike... why not move your shop upstairs and live downstairs? LOL
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2023 at 3:04am
Hahaha!  Willyt, you're a funny guy!  LOL!  My Jeep would have to go up a flight of stairs to be in the shop.  Now if I moved my shop downstairs I could just replace the sliding glass door with a small garage door and I'd be good to go!  Shocked LOL Wacko
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2023 at 6:05am
Good Sunday morning, and time for another Fall Color Tour report.  We're less than a month away from the lottery, and we've had the first week without any registrations coming in.  That leaves our count at 73.  It's been a quiet week around here, except for the buzz of the tile saw.  I've been focused on a couple of renovation projects in the house.  I got the tile and cabinetry finished in the freezer room downstairs. Now I'm working on putting new tile on the fireplace hearth upstairs.  Since it's an odd size and has a curved shape, every tile has to be cut to fit.  But to take a break from putting up tile, I've been starting the spreadsheet for the lottery.  It takes me a while to type in 73 names, and make sure that I spelled them all correctly.  Then I'll double check to make sure I didn't leave anyone out.  

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2023 at 9:05am
Mike,   Just out of curiosity, Do you have a rough percentage on how many new people have registered this year? It is always fun to meet new friends. Joey has been getting some repairs this winter. The most noteworthy is the right rear fender had to be rebuilt. because of the spare tire it was in pretty bad shape. It didn't come out perfect, but it looks a lot better and now is solid. The spare is now on the back and I think it will remain there until such time as I decide to do a full restore on the jeep. Good luck on the tile job. I have done some of that in the past and I know it can be a job at times.  Mike
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2023 at 5:21am
Hey Mike, lots of side-mounted spare tires have been taken off and either mounted on the back (like military Jeeps) or simply carried in the back where the back seat would go.  Lots of reasons like rusted supports for the tire carrier, or to eliminate a tree catcher.  I hope your back mount is solid. 

We're at about 40% newbies this year.  My count is 29 so far.  I hope they'll be able to join us for the trail rides.  I like taking new folks out to show them some of my "back yard" here in the mountains.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2023 at 3:47pm
Mike, I was able to get ahold of an M38 Tail gate which has the reinforcement on it. It fits perfectly on the cj2a. I've seen the results of not having reinforcement on the tailgate. That way I can keep the original tailgate stock and not destroy it. In my case it was rusted supports and ROCK catcher!  Mike
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2023 at 3:54pm
Hope it works for you. I went with one of the MD Juan M38 tailgates and the tire mount. It broke across the top. Tire ended up in the back seat. Followed one of the threads here on how several people solved the issue and had one made to the listed specs. It held up great. I think you might want to tie the mount to the draw bar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2023 at 2:39pm
3A steve, Did the tailgate you got have the proper reinforcement on it? Mine does. My spare tire carrier is an M38 original. I will see how it fares and will keep a close watch on it. Thanks, Mike
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2023 at 2:47pm
  I once put an M38A1 tire carrier on my CJ3B. I reinforced the tailgate similar to the 3A gate. Then it tore the corner of the body loose from the fender box, so I built a swing-away carrier that bolts to the frame in place of the ag hitch. I’ve never “swung it away”. LOL
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2023 at 2:48pm
Mike, both the reinforced tailgate and the M38 tire mount were MD Juan. The tire was a 215/85/16. The tail gate held up OK. The tire mount split across the top. An original M38 tire mount might be better. 
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2023 at 11:07pm
I had a swing away tire carrier on my 3B for years. Then I found an original M38 tailgate that I used instead.  It definitely is a space saver. It's a little beat up but hey it works and fits. 

My 3B is being rebuilt since the engine died last November. I have my GPW up and running.  
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>