Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2023 - Event Date: 17 Sep. 2023 - 23 Sep. 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 9:51am
I would recommmend that the last person on the alt list be admitted to the next year tour automatically.
Just a thought.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 4:58pm
Mike, it would be nice to continue your Sunday status updates for those on the alternate list. I know what it is like to wait and wonder. Thanks for everything.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 4:12am
Flatfender47, what happens if the last person on the Alternate list gets one of the jobs that puts them in a Primary slot?  Do they still get guaranteed admission for next year?  I'm sorry but I'm not feeling it. I don't think I'll offer guaranteed admission just for being at the end of the Alternate list.  It was a generous thought for you to ask for it. 

3A Steve, I can do that.  Just don't hold me to doing it EVERY Sunday.  There will be some Sundays we will be gone on either family trips or Jeeping trips.  But I can sure keep you all informed about changes in the Alternate list.  The biggest change that I can foresee is on May 21st, I will offer 5 jobs to Alternates. Those Alternates will move into Primary slots.  That will significantly reduce the Alternate pool, and move some Alternates much closer to getting a Primary position.  Of coarse, if you're an Alternate who's way back on the list, getting selected for one of the jobs is far better than waiting for months to see if you get offered a chance to replace a Primary who withdrew. 

The other opportunity I see for Alternates will come on June 1st.  If I have not heard back from a Primary by June 1st, I will remove them from the Primary list.  I emailed all the Primarys a message that they made the Primary list, and asked them to reply so I know they got the message. I still have 10 Primarys who have not replied to me.  I don't know if they are aware or not, or if they care or not.  They may be aware that they are in a Primary slot, but if they don't let me know they are aware, then I will assume they don't care after one month, and I will give their slot to someone on the Alternate list who does care. I don't think it's too much to ask for the courtesy of a reply.  If they gave me an email they only look at once a month, well that's a problem for them. But if I can't get a reply after a month and a couple of attempts to contact them, then I'll offer their slot to an Alternate who does want to come. 

My desire is to have 50 Jeeps in Primary slots, plus the 5 Jeeps in Primary jobs. This is one way I have of trying to make sure every slot gets filled.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 10:54pm
Mike would it be possible to post a list of those who have replied to your email? 
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 5:23am
Yes I can, and here's the list of Primaries I've seen replies from in alphabetical order as of 0300 May 10; Booth, Brozek, Bullied, Campbell, Chillemi, Collins, Croge, Curtis, Davis, Denny, Dewberry, Downs, Dusharm, Frantz, Frey, Gernert, Gibson, Gonzalez, Hawkridge, Herrera, Heyniger, Hoffman, Howard, Johansen, Johnson T, Jones, Kjome, Leland, McBryde, McNeill, Murch, Nelson M, Nelson R, Picini, Robbins, Rodgers W, Sanders, Schiefer, Seifert, Sites, Stiffler, Tarvin, Wagner, Wilkinson. 

The folks I'd like to hear from are: Ammon, Johnson K, Luber, Mercier, Reichert, and Tomt.  I know life gets in the way sometimes, but please just let me know that you know you're on the Primary list. I'm sending another email your way today to help you out.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
54willysjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54willysjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 12:19pm
Appreciate it Mike thank you.
54 Willys CJ3B (Rikki-Bobby's Jeep)
42 GPW14359 Cal "Shake n' Bake's Jeep" Dallas TX plant. Missing everything when I got it.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 4:21am
Good Sunday morning.  We're finally getting some moisture here at Thirsty Dirt Ranch.  Maybe now the grass will grow and the wildflowers will bloom.  Yesterday we got a full 1/4 inch of rain.  That's a very good rain day for TDR.  Our average annual rainfall total is only 10 inches.  Pretty dry.  

We are midway through the Alternate job listing period, and so far I've got 6 names for 5 jobs.  It looks like I'll have somebody in every job.  I'm glad for that.  I will announce the winning Alternates next Sunday, May 21.  I will also send them an email to notify them.  Once I hear back from them that they will take the job, I will move their registration form from the Alternate list to the Primary list.  That will give me 55 Primaries.  So far, only one Primary has dropped out.  The first Alternate took his place.  The next 5 Alternates, in order, are: Gunter, Huffaker, Reighard, Komlenic, and Carlson. I have a total of 30 Alternates still on the list.   I still have one Primary I have not heard from yet.  If I don't hear from him in May, then on June first I will give his slot to the next Alternate. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2023 at 4:53am
I heard from my last "missing" Primary yesterday, so everyone is aware and planning to come.  Sorry Alternates, no opportunity for any of you to take someone's place.  But we still have a few days left in the job openings.  They will close at noon on Saturday.  That will give me some time Saturday evening to run the random number generator for each job to see who comes out on top.  I will post the list on Sunday morning, and send an email to each winning individual to make sure they learn of their good fortune.  After the jobs, it will be just wait and see if a Primary drops out.  I predict there will be.  There always has been in the past.  Life will get in the way preventing a few Primaries from coming.  

I just did a quick count and we have 18 new folks/Jeeps in the Primary list so far.  That's 36 percent.  Quite a few.  I'm glad to see that many new faces wanting to join our tours.   
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 4:05am
Good Sunday morning, and welcome to another Fall Color Tours report.  This past week we had another Primary person withdraw from FCT.  I contacted the next Alternate and he chose to fill the Primary vacancy.  The next big news is announcing the winners of the jobs for this year.  I had between 4 and 6 people listed for each job.  I ran the random number generator for each list and the person with the lowest number won the job.  Those people are: 
1. Shop trash; Stuart Snow
2. handwash station trash; Mark Bishop
3. Shop bathroom; Randall Snider
4. Showers; Mark Hansen
5. Radios; Brad Reighard
Congratulations to the five folks above for winning the job lottery.  You are all now on the Primary list for FCT.  I know that each of you will do a fine job taking care of your responsibilities, and helping to take care of all of us at this year's FCT.  I absolutely appreciate your willingness to take on these tasks.
The next 5 Alternates in order are: Huffaker, Komlenic, Carlson, Patrick, and Rodgers J. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
Beach Bum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beach Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 1:09pm
It sounds like the folks on the alternate list should be preparing as if they were on the primary list.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 7:35am
Good Sunday morning everyone.  There have been no changes this week in either the Primary or Alternate lists to report.  So instead I'll give a snow report.  Nancy and I drove over Cottonwood Pass yesterday to see the snow conditions at the higher elevations.  This would give us some idea for when we might be able to start exploring the high country this summer.  I thought I'd share a couple of photos so that all of you enjoying this Memorial Day weekend in shorts and t-shirts would see what we are waiting on before we can get to do any high country exploring. Snow.  And lots of it.  

While the paved roads have been plowed clear, the back country gravel roads and Jeep trails are still under several feet of snow.  It will be July before we can go everywhere we want to explore.  Why is that important?  Because we have not made any final decisions on what routes to take for this year's FCT.  Ron and I had talked about some new places to add to our list.  It will be a while before we can get to check them all out.  So it may be July, or even August, before we publish this year's full list of rides.  We'll probably get a partial list put out by late June.  

So enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.  And please take a moment to remember and honor all those soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines, and coastguardsmen who have served our country and passed on to our memories.  This is their time to be remembered.  

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 10:18am
Hi Mike .... Debbie and I drove thru conditions similar to that yesterday. It was between Saratoga and Laramie, Snowy Range Pass. Lots off snow still there and most camping facilities up high are still closed.

We are planning on exploring the areas you mentioned in an earlier pm about the St.Elmo area. We had planned to be in that area in a couple of weeks. Are they still snowed in?

Thanks ..Bill T.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 1:49am
Willyt, Yes there is still snow up around Saint Elmo.  If you're planning on staying at the Iron City campground, I'm not sure when they will be open.  We may take a drive up that way in the next few days.  If I learn anything new then I'll post it up.  We did drive up the road towards Saint Elmo yesterday, but only up to Cascade Campground, just above the big falls.  The three Forest Service campgrounds in that area are open and snow free.  

Edited by m38mike - 29 May 2023 at 2:01am
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 11:00am
Thanks for the report Mike. Cascade is one of the campgrounds we are considering visiting. We enjoyed visiting the Bannack ghost town and hope to see St.Elmo.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 10:26am
Hello Everyone,
 I had an experience I need to tell you about! First of all I need to tell you that I have an electric fuel pump on my jeep in place of the original one because of vapor locking at over 13000 ft. About a week ago I was checking over my cj2a before the first run of the summer when I discovered that the fuel lines at the fuel pump and the filter were cracking and hard so I decided to replace all rubber line pieces between the tank and the carb. They needed it. Now I am ready for jeeping I thought. The next day I decided to take it for a short run to check everything out. About 2 to 3 miles out it was up to temperature and I started smelling gas. I pulled over. lifted the hood and heard intermittent hissing. I looked at the carburetor. I could see gas sitting on the carb above the float bowl and it was dripping onto the hot exhaust manifold. I just stepped away from the jeep till it cooled down and hoped it would not catch fire! I have seen that happen on engines before. It cooled down OK so I called a friend and we towed it back to my house. I took the carb apart and found 2 very small pieces of rubber in the needle and seat. I had flushed out the fuel lines before connecting to the carb when I replaced the fuel lines and filter. I guess I didn't flush it as thoroughly as I thought. I flushed out the lines again using plenty of gas, Got everything back together and all went OK after that. I t was a close call. My suggestion is that when you change fuel lines and /or filter flush with plenty of gas. It is cheap compared to your jeep. Also Get the jeep outside and run it at high idle for a while with the hood up and keep an eye on the top of the carb to insure that the needle is working properly. Be sure you have a fire extinguisher with you. That may seem like being overly cautious but remember that your carburetor is just above the exhaust manifold on these engines. I hope this helps others to avert having an episode like I almost had. Be safe everyone. Sorry this was so long but I felt it was necessary.   Mike
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2023 at 2:57am
Mike, I'm glad to hear you didn't get a fire started.  That was a close call.  I appreciate hearing the story also because hard and brittle rubber fuel lines are dangerous and need to be replaced.  Modern rubber fuel lines are not affected by modern unleaded gas, but older rubber compounds could get hard or brittle when modern fuel is run through them.  So if you've got rubber fuel line that's older than your kids, check it out.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 8:23am
Good Sunday morning everyone. Here is the latest Fall Color Tour report.  There are no changes to the Primary or Alternate lists from this past week.  But on the facility side of things, I've been busy.  I laid down some pavers by the outside sink so that folks using it would not have to walk in dust or mud.  

I also put some gravel down to make a pathway from the driveway to the pavers.  And I put a new, much better faucet on the sink.  It still only has cold water, but it works much better now.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
mriceflinter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mriceflinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2023 at 10:15pm
Mike, Ya keep that up and you will spoil us more than you have already. Thanks, Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 24>