Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mazda Rotary Wankel Swap Willys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 5:35am
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

I envy your fab skills. 
Very nice, & quick too. How many hours do you have into that?

Not sure I want to admit it but I probably Have 40+ hours in that silly piece haha! That includes the design and actual shop time. 
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 5:35am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Really interesting and innovative! That cradle is impressive looking! 

Well done sir!

Thanks man! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 6:32pm
Here is the transfer case video! Thank you again Barry and Tom for getting this transfer case to me! 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 30 Jan. 2023 at 6:38pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 7:41pm
I can’t seem to find my notes on completed D18 weight but I know it’s very close to 75 pounds total with park drum and twin sticks. So yeah the Suzuki @ 43 is notably light.
I’m toying with the idea of putting a two speed transfer case into a Mighty Mite. It would have to be mounted vertical with the outputs positioned straight down below the input.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

I can’t seem to find my notes on completed D18 weight but I know it’s very close to 75 pounds total with park drum and twin sticks. So yeah the Suzuki @ 43 is notably light.
I’m toying with the idea of putting a two speed transfer case into a Mighty Mite. It would have to be mounted vertical with the outputs positioned straight down below the input.

I’m sure it would work for that. I’ve seen guys double these up with Toyota and sidekick cases and they mount them at all sorts of funky angles. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 7:37pm
I needed to close up the old hole in my tub from the pto before the engine goes back in. 

I will build the trans tunnel Once everything is in its final resting place. 

JeepFever...I'm sure you know how exited I am for this part. haha! I guess I need to stop swapping engines haha!

PAD ... Paper aided design. 

The pto didnt fit well with the gpw tub. I cut the crossmember out to fit it when I built this jeep.....but it was actually a good thing since the sami case needed the extra space too. 

Time to go back in..... Hopefully for good this time. "Knock on wood"

Nice and cozy~

Edited by Millennium falcon - 31 Jan. 2023 at 7:49pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 7:43pm
Do you guys want to see the weigh comparisons between the 13b and L-134? 

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 7:47pm
Absolutely yes !
Lighter weight = better all around performance
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

I will build the trans tunnel Once everything is in its final resting place. 

JeepFever...I'm sure you know how exited I am for this part. haha! I guess I need to stop swapping engines haha!

I have been tempted to make some comment about how after all this AMAZING work,  you still have to make a cover.  haha . . .  (and now that you mention itLOL  

Hopefully fairly quick,  the components are not sticking up too high. 

Wow  . . just WOW.    Great work Seth!    

-Ron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2023 at 9:05am
Thanks Ron! Haha! 

Here’s the full weight video. 

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2023 at 9:28am
Seth, excellent powertrain weight comparo! The jeep's performance will definitely be much livelier with the 13B on the mass reduction alone, plus the added power. Do you plan to fit a tachometer to the Wankelized Willys?
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2023 at 9:35am
That’s a huge weight loss ! 
The original military stipulation was to come in at under 2000 lbs.
You could be very close when complete.
The only disadvantage to less weight is if it’s fording very deep water. 

Zero aftermarket parts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2023 at 9:37am
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Seth, excellent powertrain weight comparo! The jeep's performance will definitely be much livelier with the 13B on the mass reduction alone, plus the added power. Do you plan to fit a tachometer to the Wankelized Willys?

Thanks! Yeah I’m pretty happy with that. It reduced the vehicle weight by over 10% and added 100hp. The fuel injection system Im using has a small touchscreen that displays rpm and other data and allows tuning. To I’ll just use that as my tach. I may as an analog one down the road if needed. 
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2023 at 7:05pm
Looking forward to this build. My first car was a 79 Rx-7 so I have a soft spot for the rotary motors. So this is like combining my two favorite things! 
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2023 at 6:35pm
This weeks project was the exhaust... here is the stock system for reference.  From the engine back it goes 2.25" pipe into two catalytic convertors....The a y-pipe.. From there it splits into 1.75" up and over the axle. at the bumper there are 2 mufflers... one on each side and a tip. My setup will be much more simple. 2.25" crossing under the transmission. Staying high and tight straight back on the passenger side and exiting out between the spring and the tire in the same location as my tdi exhaust. It has proven to be a protected spot over the years..... I will be running one straight through "turbo style" muffler and no cats. 

Im using all stainless steel components. The cost really isn't much more and it looks and lasts. 

Im also a huge fan of v-band clamps and used 3 of them on this setup. They are so nice for assembly and anytime you have to work on things. 

My stainless tig welding isn't that great but somehow my stuff seems to hold together. haha! function over form. 

Here it is all finished and ready to install. Im sure it will be loud but im just using stuff I had on hand. Ill drop back and punt if needed. 

All the important pieces will be well above the skid plate once its all said and done. My exhaust wrap will be here next week... most of it will get a good  volcanic ash wrap which will help with noise and heat. 

More updates coming soon. Happy friday! Cheers! 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 03 Feb. 2023 at 6:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2023 at 9:23pm
Here’s the exhaust video. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 10:51pm
This time I used Volcanic Rock based exhaust wrap.. it doesn't contain fiberglass and is much more pleasant to handle. 

Everything that's near the passenger compartment is wrapped. 

Next I moved on to cooling. The RX7 radiator looks like it was meant to be in there. I will be adding dual fans. 

Im planning to add a little patina to the front of the radiator so it doesn't stand out as much. 

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 11:20pm
Nice you’ll have to let us know how the volcanic wrap helps.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>