Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mazda Rotary Wankel Swap Willys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2023 at 11:05am
Heres some pictures if you did get a chance to watch the video. 

The wankel willys weighs 2,280 lbs wet.. (full tank) 

Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 8:12am
Well, the first off roadtrip is in the books! I’m happy to report the Wankel Willy’s did everything I needed it to do and more! 

Edited by Millennium falcon - 26 May 2023 at 8:13am
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 10:16am
Amazing. 
That this is as smooth a silk. 
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

Amazing. 
That this is as smooth a silk. 

Thanks! Yeah I agree. It’s so smooth and quiet especially coming from the tdi. It was very enjoyable in the woods. 
Trail_willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trail_willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 1:51pm
Great Vid! Love the super low gearing
Trail_Willys on instagram

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Trail_willys Trail_willys wrote:

Great Vid! Love the super low gearing

Thank you! Yeah it was a big relief to get out there and see this concept work! It’s been in my head for a long time. It sounded good to me in theory but until i actually took it on some trails it was still just a prototype. With over 500 road miles and an pretty good off road test….I’m officially calling it a success!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 7:22pm
FYI;  I am not sponsored by FiTech. (but I wish I was) I must say I've been extremely happy with my fitech EFI.... it has been amazing. I was especially thankful for it on the steep angles. It never stumbled or stalled.. The startups were great. You know how it is when you're wheeling...you start and stop a lot. and depending on how long everyone talks its a different temp each time. hot starts... sitting on a sidehill starts. stalled it on the rocks starts.. it fired the 1st time every time.  rotary engines are notorious for hot start issues and fouling plugs and i have had zero issues.  I probably started this thing 200 times over the weekend... 100 of them were for people at the reunion that wanted to hear it run! haha. So if you're on the fence about fitech I would give it a try. My unit is for anything 100-400hp (4-barrell) they also have a small 2-barrell unit and some much larger high hp unit! 

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 11:17pm
The cornbinder volt gauge is a nice touch
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 2:32am
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

The cornbinder volt gauge is a nice touch

Thanks. This thing is made up of parts from about 19 different vehicles. 😆 
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 9:47am
“Cornbinder” is a new one on me and I have been involved with agriculture for 57 years. Not much experience with the red equipment though.  Is that a city term for “combine”?

Edited by Jeff J - 27 May 2023 at 9:48am
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 10:20am
Never mind, googled it. Cornbinder/corn binder is slang for pretty much anything IH. I seem to remember Case buying them out not long after I graduated high school. We had Case, Oliver, John Deere and Gleaner back then. 
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 5:50pm
Heck Jeff, I only learned that International Harvester was the correct name for our Cornbinder equipment when I went to order parts for some of them from the dealer. I was 12 at the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910