Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mazda Rotary Wankel Swap Willys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2023 at 7:58am
Im getting very close to the first start... fingers crossed. 

The list is getting smaller. 

Finally got the fuel tank back in and reassembled the interior. I know the shifters aren't exactly OEM....but i'm pleased that it still looks like an "old jeep" on the inside. My goal was for it too still look and feel like an old jeep. I did my best to stick with that goal. With the hood closed and the engine off it still looks like a flatfender. I will be sewing some new canvas boots for the shifters soon. 

I had to made a new battery tray with a heat shield. I had to switch batteries with my TDI jeep in order to keep the battery in the stock location. Things are are little snug since I moved the engine so far forward. This little battery has been cranking the TDI with ease since 2018 so it should handle the little 1.3L The TDI now has the larger battery that was starting the L134. The angle of the picture looks like the battery will hit the throttle body when it rocks but there is enough room for engine movement. The GPW headlights still have room to flip as well....(barely) haha!  

The Tune up kit arrived today! Wait until you see these funky expensive spark plugs! haha! 

The Fuel Force surge tank is meant to be fed with a mechanical or 12v low pressure fuel pump on a carbureted engine. Since the Rotary does't have a fuel pump I will be using this Holley Mini Might. This is the same Gas/diesel pump that has been working flawlessly on my TDI swap for years. Its cheap quiet and simple. This will go between the fuel tank and the surge tank. It has a built in 40 micron pre filter. Then I will have a standard in line fuel filter between this pump and the high pressure fuel pump. And lastly there is a 10 micron filter between the High Pressure pump and the throttle body... haha! I think filtration is covered! 

Im so ready to hear this thing!!! 

This is the first time its been off the ramps since I started this project!!!

AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2023 at 8:46am
This project is really coming along nicely Seth. I'm always impressed with how quickly you get through this stuff. Were you able to retain the same ground clearance as the stock crossmember or were you able to gain a little?
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2023 at 10:35am
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

This project is really coming along nicely Seth. I'm always impressed with how quickly you get through this stuff. Were you able to retain the same ground clearance as the stock crossmember or were you able to gain a little?

Thanks! Once I get started on something I dont like to stop! haha! 

Ground clearance has definitely changed for the better. The 5 speed is much smaller than the big sm420. I will still have the low spot where the rear output of the transfer case is....which is a bummer but overall i gained a few inches. 
Abe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2023 at 2:30pm
I like your build, can't wait to hear it on youtube.
All your videos are great.Star
1948 CJ2A Studebaker I6
https://www.youtube.com/@AbeYoung
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2023 at 4:30pm
Definitely can't wait to see the video on this one and hear it run. Really liking how stock it looks with the hood closed. 
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2023 at 12:04am
Originally posted by WellFedHobo WellFedHobo wrote:

Definitely can't wait to see the video on this one and hear it run. Really liking how stock it looks with the hood closed. 

Thanks! Hopefully I’ll have some videos for you guys soon! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2023 at 3:50pm
It wouldn't be an engine swap If I didn't get out the copper and solder haha! My EFI has its own temp sensor and readout on the display... But I Still wanted to retain my mechanical dash gauge. I tapped into  the heater hose where the hot coolant exits the rear iron. this is where the stock Mazda temp sensor is. a 3/4" copper T with shark bite fittings is a perfect fit. I made a little bushing to fit the stock Willys temp probe. I did the same thing on my tdi Swap. I know it wont be as accurate as it would be in the head... but it will at least give me an idea... and I can compare it to the digital temp. 

Thankfully mazda used a very simple 3-wire alt with an internal regulator. So I got that all hooked up. 

Time to fire this thing up!

Fresh amsoil in the engine, trans and t-case.... (Don't worry i'm running premix so i can use synthetic oil) 

I buttoned up the wiring and Hit the key..... The FiTech powered up and I entered the initial setup information. The EFI is indented for conventional piston engines but thankfully Many others have run fitech and holley snipers on rotaryies so im not flying completely in the dark. I started with the most common settings of 4cyl. 140CI, Mild/stock cam.. 750 rpm Idle, and 8000 rpm rev limit. and left everything else at the default setting. Hopefully that gives me a good starting point. 

Primed the fuel pump and cranked.... Boom! fired up instantly went to a high idle and ran smoothly! As the engine came up to temp the idle settled down to around 1000-1200. Tomorrow I will Adjust the IAC and Idle screw as per the instructions. But so far im pleased.  A quick blip of the throttle produced and amazing sounding and incredibly smooth rev with a nice signature rotary fireball at the end!

I will post some videos soon... All that's left is to hook up the throttle cable mount the pedal and install the electric fans. Then I can start driving it and let the ECU start self tuning. I'm sure it will take some tweaking but thats what its all about! 

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2023 at 5:07pm
Fantastic work as you're famous for, Seth! Love the exhaust flame-thrower shot!

Years ago I did an autocross in a new VW GTI in Los Angeles. The local SCCA chapter guys set up the course. I asked one of them what car in their chapter held the lap record. He said a Triumph GT6 powered by a Mazda 13B rotary. Wait til the Jeepers out on the trail hear your exhaust...
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2023 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Fantastic work as you're famous for, Seth! 

I agree,  totally amazing what you have done.   I bet it is thrilling to hear run for first time.

Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

. .  Love the exhaust flame-thrower shot! 
. Wait til the Jeepers out on the trail hear your exhaust...

Note to self ->  do not follow the wankel Jeep too close.  LOL
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2023 at 9:36am
I’d be nervous about starting a forest fire driving that rig on the old logging roads around here!
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2023 at 11:18am
At the Daytona 24 Hour race, the Mazda RX-7s were the most fun to watch at night. Downshifting in the infield, their exhausts shot flames three feet long. Yeah, Seth may have to install a US Forestry Service-approved spark arrestor to his jeep's tailpipe...
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 9:16am
The last two things needed for the first test drive were throttle cable/pedal and radiator fans. I finished that stuff late last night... just need to wire the fans and tidy up the rest of the wiring. We're on the home stretch now! I take off on Sunday. I would expect a driving video early this week!

I used the largest fans I could fit without hacking things up! haha! They will be controlled by the FiTech ECU. 

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 9:25am
I spy under the workbench. Classic under bench storage. Every working shop should look like that. Looking forward to the video. 
BTW, I can take possession of the Jeewankel anytime that fits your schedule.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
WellFedHobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WellFedHobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

I'm kinda jealous of the spare parts pile under there. 
Brad
1948 CJ2A #158011 "Sunk Cost Fallacy"
1945 T3-C #1431

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2023 at 7:13pm
Good eye! Here’s a junk your! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 1:55pm
The jeep is running!

Just buttoning up a few coolant leaks and she will be ready for the road! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 2:07pm
 The day has finally arrived.... 3/8/2023 Rotary Swap complete

Here is a ride along video with all the sights and sounds! First impression FUN! The EFI is learning well and reliably starts and drives. The power is impressive. Far exceeds the power and torque of the stock engine. and the usable RPM range is incredible. it just keeps revving and wanting more. I shifted around 6500rpm a few times in this video and it had lots more to go. Trail testing will be very fun and interesting. Once good weather gets here I will take it out for some off roading. Thanks for following along. I will post more updates as they come.

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2023 at 3:13pm
Great... now we're losing a valuable forum member to ricerdrfting.com.

43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>