Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non CJ engine identification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 9:43am
A little update:  the motor is definitely NOT a CJ motor; the block is missing the throttle linkage studs on the back.  I searched through pictures of intake manifolds, I found that matches a DJ-3a so I think that that is the engine which is in the jeep now.
"If the women don't find you handsome, then they should at least find you handy" -RedGreen
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 10:43am
I have a 58-59 DJ-3A engine in my jeep. They are the last version of the 134L.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 11:06am
The 804380 casting number on the block was created for the M38 (MC) in 1950.

2ndgearhero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I have a 58-59 DJ-3A engine in my jeep. They are the last version of the 134L.

What does your throttle linkage look like?  Is there a stud on the block which allows the linkage to pivot?
"If the women don't find you handsome, then they should at least find you handy" -RedGreen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

The 804380 casting number on the block was created for the M38 (MC) in 1950.

what's strange is that it doesn't have the throttle linkage studs on the back of the block, I think that the M38 had that.  I actually sourced a complete CJ-2a motor locally that I think I may just rebuild so that it solves a lot of the head scratching/correct part ordering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 1:34pm
after more digging, I think that I may have solved another aspect of the mystery...

the throttle linkage came from a DJ-3A:

here is an article about the DJ-3a throttle linkage:  http://www.ewillys.com/2017/06/12/dj-3a-gas-pedal-linkage/

pic of linkage at block:

Link of a DJ-3a manifold (641095) http://https://www.willysjeepparts.com/Manifolds.htm

picture of the manifold:

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by 2ndgearhero 2ndgearhero wrote:

after more digging, I think that I may have solved another aspect of the mystery...

the throttle linkage came from a DJ-3A:

Correct.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 3:14pm
The block will most likely have the holes for the throttle plate on the back of the block MY 58-59 DJ-3A block does. And it had the CJ throttle pivot attached to it when it was in dads version of CHUG. I modified the Pivot to improve it but its still bolted in the same place.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

The block will most likely have the holes for the throttle plate on the back of the block MY 58-59 DJ-3A block does. And it had the CJ throttle pivot attached to it when it was in dads version of CHUG. I modified the Pivot to improve it but its still bolted in the same place.

I put an inspection mirror in the back and found dimples where to CJ throttle plate would bolt, of course I was working with about 1" of room between the block and the firewall so I couldn't see if I would need to drill them out/tap them.

I have a bead on a proper CJ motor.  Think I should do the swap?
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2023 at 5:26pm
Unless you are into having this rig perfect as it came from the factory, I would use the original "replacement" engine if it runs well.

If the "replacement" engine needs serious work, I might try to source a "correct" engine. I would do this only if the rest of the Jeep is very close to original.

OTOH, If this were the case, I would sell the rig to someone who will take that journey with it. I have done that one time & that is enough for me. I am just not into that journey. I like to drive my rigs way too much to go that route again. Yet, I do see the value in that process, thus the sale.

Otherwise, I would do whatever is needed to get the Jeep back on the road fairly quickly.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndgearhero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2023 at 9:04pm
well, I compression tested the engine today and things are not looking too keen:  Cylinder 1: 60 psi, Cylinder 2: 100 psi, Cylinder 3: 110 psi, Cylinder 4: 70 psi.

I am going to get a differential tester to narrow things down to where I am losing compression, maybe a head gasket (fingers crossed)

If I am looking at anything more then I am also looking at yanking the motor anyway so if that is the case I can put the "correct" motor in
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2023 at 11:17am
When is the last time this engine was used on a regular basis?

If it has sat in a shed for years to decades, the rings may not be seating as well as they could. I have had a few engines that had bad compression from sitting. The numbers were low like yours are with the serious differences that yours has. A differential compression test, a "leak down test", showed bad rings. Instead of pulling the engines apart, I added some MMO & drove it for a few weeks & about 500 miles. They smoked a bit at first, but after a while that cleared up & the compression numbers came up. I ran those engines for many years after that. This was in the PNW, so very comparable to your situation. 

IMHO, Since the FCT is a few months away, just driving it for a while is worth a try. You have nothing to lose except a lot of work & expense. Of course it is your Jeep, time, & money. Thus, you get to decide if you want to try this.

IHTH, Cpt Logger. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12