Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine lifts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2023 at 1:34pm
  I bought a HF engine hoist over 15 years ago and it still works great, I did install an axle and a couple small pneumatic wheels and a trailer hitch on it to make it easier to move around off of smooth surfaces so I could use it for more than just lifting engines.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2023 at 12:38am
I have a HF one too.   It's fine.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2023 at 9:20am
HF unit here too. Folds up nicely. Almost new when I got it at garage sale. $100.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2023 at 10:55am
I use a chain type come along.
Multiple use and takes up little room.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2023 at 11:58am
A couple of decades ago at the place I had before this one, I had a steel I-Beam mounted in my garage with a heavy duty chain hoist mounted on a trolley. It was great for pulling engines, removing / installing bodies, and unloading heavy items off a truck or trailer. Been thinking about rigging up a similar set up in my barn.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2023 at 3:47pm
I have often thought about building or buying a small gantry. There are times it would be very handy. I do have a chain hoist attached to the center roof I-beam in my shop. I used it to unload a sheet metal brake and remove/install the main cylinders in the forklift. It’s okay as long as it doesn’t need repositioned. There isn’t always a beam in the correct location to secure it to. Whatever is under the load must be moved before the chain hoist can be lowered unless it’s on something mobile. I usually have overhead clearance issues when hoisting with the forklift.  I find it hard to beat the flexibility and maneuverability of the engine hoist. I work a lot of tighter spaces where nothing else is practical or portable enough. A lot depends on a person’s shop space. 

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2023 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

A couple of decades ago at the place I had before this one, I had a steel I-Beam mounted in my garage with a heavy duty chain hoist mounted on a trolley. It was great for pulling engines, removing / installing bodies, and unloading heavy items off a truck or trailer. Been thinking about rigging up a similar set up in my barn.
My shop has an I beam between the trusses and a trolley hoist setup left from the previous owners. It's super handy and it gets used for many purposes. 

It would be nice to build some tracks along the trusses and have the ends of the beam on wheels so you could place things anywhere in that bay, rather than in just a straight line.

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2023 at 11:47pm
My old shop crane is handy because I can put in the bed of my truck whenever I need to pickup or deliver heavy things like engines, but I want to get one that folds up, or disassembles so I can tuck it under the cover for long trips so things stay dry and I don't have that boom hanging over the cab. The truck I have now has a longer bed so what I have may fit in behind an engine with the boom lowered, but haven't tried it yet. Like to have the crane behind the engine I am hauling so I can pull the crane off first to unload the engine. 
AndyinTexas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyinTexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2023 at 3:28pm
If you have the space to use a tractor and own one, put a three-point boom on your tractor and use that. It's much cheaper than a picker and you can leave it outside.

You can also hang a hoist or come along on the end, and you have two ways to raise and lower.

Edited by AndyinTexas - 15 Jan. 2023 at 3:29pm
"the user formerly known as oldscot"
Willy Nilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy Nilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2023 at 6:30pm
I also bought the 2-ton version at Harbor Freight, worked quite well.  Don't forget the leveler that they also sell.  Try to wait for a sale.  DO NOT get the 1-ton version unless you are lifting a Go-Kart motor.

Here is the problem with renting.  First you need the lift to get the engine out of the jeep, and you want to be all ready to pull the engine before you rent it.  You will need the lift again to get the motor on an engine stand.  That all can be done first day.  But then sometime later after you get the block stripped on the stand, you will need the lift again to get the block off the stand so you can take it to a machine shop.  Then four months later, you will need the lift again to get the machined block back on the stand.  Then six months later after you have reassembled the engine on the stand, you will need to get the lift again to get the engine back into the vehicle.  And you better have the engine bay and bell housing prepped and ready to go that day and coordinate to have at least one helper to guide things and get some bolts started.  So I count at least four rentals.  

I much prefer to buy a new lift for a couple hundred bucks, or a used one for less if you can find one, and then when you are finished at your leisure sell it to someone else and get your money back.

Edited by Willy Nilly - 29 Jan. 2023 at 6:40pm
1946 Willys CJ2A military clone
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 5:34pm
Check out your local Craig's List, under 'Tools.' I see pre-owned engine lifts regularly for sale. NAPA would be my 2nd choice if you need one immediately. 

Friends don't let friends, particularly 2A Page friends, shop at Horror Fright. 

Edited by LuzonRed47 - 30 Jan. 2023 at 5:36pm
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy Nilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Friends don't let friends, particularly 2A Page friends, shop at Horror Fright. 

Why?  A 2-ton lift at NAPA is $554.39 right now, while one at HF is $319.97 without any discount, which they have all the time.  The two look almost identical, and I'm positive both are made in China, probably the same factory.

One year ago, the HF unit was I think $249.  After whatever discount that was available at the time, I think I paid closer to $200.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 7:09pm
I agree....if you were going into a commercial endeavor I might do something different but as a general backyard hobbyist you have a good point IMO.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 8:37pm
Purchased the Hobo Frt 1T folding lift last fall and it has served well on my 3A engine swap. It was used multiple times.
core 134 into back of truck for trip to machinist.
unload 134 after machining, put on stand for final assy..
pull tired 134, .
swap finished and tired 134s on stand.
install fresh 134 into 3A.

Now its folded, stored in the corner till someone local asks "hey you know where i can find a hoist"?

Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 8:51pm
  A little off subject, but - When I undertook a good-sized sheetrock job it soon came to me that I would need a panel jack. So I bought one at Horrible Fright for about $140. It wasn’t great but it did the job. When I got done I advertised it on CL for $125. A guy scooped it up in less than a day and said, “I only need it a couple of days and I already have it sold for $100. A rental is $50 a day.” 
  The Horrible Fright scaffold I bought for the same job has a similar story. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 30 Jan. 2023 at 8:53pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy Nilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by muley muley wrote:

Purchased the Hobo Frt 1T folding lift last fall and it has served well on my 3A engine swap. It was used multiple times.

That's interesting,  because you lose extension on the 1T compared to the 2T at the same load.  I was concerned the 1T would not give enough  reach to get the engine back to the firewall.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 9:34pm
Years ago, when I was in my twenties I did a lot of sheetrock work without a panel jack, just made "T" supports out of 2X4 stock.

Rented a panel jack when we finished half of the basement of this house for added living space and boy howdy did that make the job easier and faster.

I have bought tools I needed for a one time job and sold them a few years later for more than I paid for them since prices keep going up.
Stevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 7:31am
2 pages of replies thats a first, but a lot of good stories. A few weeks ago I just bought a new cylinder off Amazon. At my age I didn't need a new lift. Works great but the replies were fun a read.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>