Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canvas Top cj3a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fieldsservice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canvas Top cj3a
    Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 3:11pm
Looking for cavas top CJ3A.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 4:49pm
Kaiser Willys offers the Bestop that comes with doors, etc support rods and bows, about $1300. not canvas but a quality top. 

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 8:50pm
I have been well pleased with the canvas top I got from Beachwood Canvas. But, I don’t know if they are still in business.
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 8:54pm
I have read some decent reviews on the canvas tops from India that show up on Ebay. They are not nearly as pricey as others, but I hesitate to buy one. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2023 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I have read some decent reviews on the canvas tops from India that show up on Ebay. They are not nearly as pricey as others, but I hesitate to buy one. 

Yeah, I would like to see one in person
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2023 at 8:49am
What about forum member jpet , is he still making tops?
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Fred46 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2023 at 11:43am
His web site still says no.
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2023 at 2:31pm
It seems so far that the stuff coming out of India is actually "decent" quality. Pete Debella and others are very happy with the tubs from SGI! I've been looking at those tops from India as well. I have gotten a few things from there and haven't been disappointed, YET! However, there have been problems like those worm gears were all made in India! I'm hoping that someone on here bites the bullet and jumps first on those tops and posts about it! If not, it may be me in the Spring!
They are obviously not the quality that jpet turned out! But, they look like they may be worth the cost of $369.00!

Edited by SlaterDoc - 18 Jan. 2023 at 2:33pm
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
cowboy64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2023 at 7:58pm
Right before Christmas I bought the cheap canvas top for a Wrangler from Quadratec.. fit perfectly,, no complaints,, just a woods , hunting, on farm jeep
mam
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2023 at 2:41pm
I did see a post last Summer where someone had bought one of those tops from India off of Ebay. They  showed it mounted on their Jeep, and described the pros and cons of it. I am not sure whether that post was on this forum, or on the ECJ5 forum, but seems he was happy with it for the price.  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I don't trust them. They are using a photo of my CJ-3A, with a New Life enclosure, on their current eBay listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/266107467119

They didn't ask me if it was okay to use my photograph, and it isn't even their top in the photo.

Edit to add... India is a big place, maybe there are other CJ-3A enclosures for sale from other vendors...

Edited by Bob W - 30 Jan. 2023 at 6:11pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 7:03pm
I believe I'd have to appeal to eBay on that one Bob....have you tried to contact anyone?
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
SlaterDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlaterDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 7:39pm
There is a "report item" button that has a few reasons, one of which is copyright violation! which this seems to be!
Once a Navy man, always a Navy man!
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 7:01pm
I just found another CJ-3A top for sale on eBay, from India...
The photograph of the CJ-3A and enclosure is from New Life's website....
And the top bow diagram is from The CJ-3B Page...
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I believe I'd have to appeal to eBay on that one Bob....have you tried to contact anyone?

I just don't have the time. I think the takeaway here is Buyer Beware. Do your research. Maybe these tops are okay? It sure would be nice to see the actual top for sale in the listing!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 7:36pm
Interesting info Bob thanks for the “beware”.
Picture shown vs the tops texted description is a bait and switch.
No black top is shown.
Also they mention both canvas and denim which most certainly are not the same materials.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by willyt willyt wrote:

I have been well pleased with the canvas top I got from Beachwood Canvas. But, I don’t know if they are still in business.

I bought a canvas top from Beachwood for my MB, and I am not pleased with it.   It fit perfectly when new and the construction quality was good.  In retrospect, it fit too good.   The problem is that it shrank a ton, and always leaked a lot ... even after what seemed like gallons of Canvak and some silicone spray at one point in desperation.  I did everything I could to make that top work. 

My impression from that sample of size 1, is that Beachwood tops are intended more for display vehicles... not for drivers that will see weather.   Their canvas didn't seem to offer much protection at all.

My current MB top came from Dave Pizzerferato with Weebee webbing.   Great work, no leaks, I love it.   He cut it very generously and it shrank into a nice fit.

Beachwood offers canvas packs that are installed behind the front seats.   Yes!   Very useful.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by tamnalan tamnalan wrote:

Beachwood offers canvas packs that are installed behind the front seats. Yes!   Very useful.
Dave at WeeBee offers them too.........$58 each or $110 for a pair.
1951 M38
1951 M100
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>