Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sometimes I just shouldn't be allowed on eBay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sometimes I just shouldn't be allowed on eBay
    Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 7:49pm
So found this the other night while wandering around on eBay with money in my pocket.

I mean I can justify it but as the wife said WHY?

In my defense I passed up the big beer glass of the same basic design.

For those not in the know my 48 has been named CHUG A LUG since 1965 right after this song came out. And if you have no idea what song I am talking about here ya go.

https://youtu.be/yyCoJ6Cv6pw

Edited by Mark W. - 22 Jan. 2023 at 7:52pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 8:07pm
Hi-de-ho 
Mike in AZ
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 8:14pm
  Yeah, there’s that: 
 https://youtu.be/yyCoJ6Cv6pw  

But then theres: 

BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 10:22am
I understand why you could not resist the purchase, same thing happened to me when I saw the below coffee cup on Ebay.

My wife also asked "Why?"

I answered her question when a preacher came by for a visit and I offered him coffee. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 10:43am
Both you and your wife are right. I have a ton of stuff like that, that my only child will likely throw away after I die, but they put a smile on my face now, so what the heck? Maybe you should avoid shipping costs and drive Chug out there to pick it up. Then it will be even more worth it.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 11:40am
Classy!
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 11:55am
I don’t know what happened to my Mabel’s mug but this has been hanging around my living space for nearly 40 years…

willyt View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 3:19pm
The first off color joke I can remember grandad telling me was ... what are the three main parts of a wood stove?? The lifter, leg, and poker.

Edited by willyt - 23 Jan. 2023 at 3:21pm
1952 CJ3A (Lil'Green)
early M38A1(Ole Green)
1970 Jeepster Commando
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 6:31pm
I take full blame for turning this topic down the wrong road. I am ashamed of myself, and offer my apologies to Mark, and any others who may have been offended. 

Sorry Mark. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 6:39pm
Oldpappy no problem I love seeing what other crazy stuff people have.

You should see the little Whiskey Jugs I had made up each year when I was a Custom Knifemaker selling my wares at Black Powder Rendezvous around the PNW.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 6:52pm
Ah "Black Powder Rendezvous"

Those were a lot of fun before they invented the in-line muzzle loaders. 

My dad used to make flintlock rifles and we used them during muzzle loader season to hunt deer. The in-line rifles took the "primitive" out of muzzle loader hunts, as well as the fun in my opinion.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 7:48pm
I completely agree the new style in lines do nothing for me. And here in Oregon while there are a couple of inlines that are allowed for Deer hunting they have to have an OPEN IGNITION and the Shotgun primer setup is not allowed.

I'm a traditional Hawkin percussion style rifle fan for the most part. Though someday I will build the .40 cal squirrel rifle I started and had to sell off for one reason or another. To bad I will never get another piece of tight Fiddleback Walnut like I had for the stock. Nor the Louie Pool Lock and Double set trigger as he is long passed away now. Amazing craftsman. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 8:16pm
It is hard to find the FFFF real black powder nowadays, and I have only a small amount left, so the flintlocks are seldom shot anymore. The modern Pyrodex works for the charge but not for the primer.

I have a .50 caliber Hawkin style percussion which I have hunted with, but I have gotten to the point where I just don't want to kill anything, probably due to age, and I haven't hunted in years. Now there are so many deer around here they are a nuisance. They eat up our gardens, and pull fruit off the trees when it is barely ripe. I could shoot as many as I want from my back porch, and may yet. I do like venison.   

Louie Pool hardware was very well made, but he came along after we were building this stuff. My dad used locks made by Russel Hamm, maybe the best available then, and they are pretty good too. 

I have a flintlock rifle my dad started but never finished. It is 40 caliber and Lancaster style stock. I should finish it, and may yet, but I sort of hate to change what he laid hands to so many years ago. The stock blank he bought for that rifle cost him almost two hundred dollars back in the late sixties, which was a lot of money for him at that time. It is curly maple with stripes all through it. 
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 8:48pm
Being 100% transparent, I had too much to drink and found myself of Gunbroker.com

Guess who over paid for a rifle I always wanted . . .

Clap
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 9:20pm
OK, how about the tree main vegies in the garden---lettuce-turnup and pea!!Smile
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 10:25pm
Deer ain't picky. They ate my tomato plants all the way to the ground, they ate my lettuce, they ate my wife's hosta plants and other things in her flower beds, and they ate every pear on two trees some of which were so high I cannot imagine how they got to the higher ones unless they stood on each others shoulders. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2023 at 11:28pm
Around here you see a lot of gardens on the edge of town with 6ft or even better wolven wire fences. To keep the deer at bay.

Edited by Mark W. - 23 Jan. 2023 at 11:29pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2023 at 7:52am
Deer are found of the leaves of peach tree saplings as well. Of the 12 trees and shrubs I planted in the last couple of years, that peach tree is the only one with a fence around it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply