Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

voltage regulator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Deleted 

so much said in so few wordsThumbs Up
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 8:42pm
  Yeah, Muley, and you know why. 
BW

Thad, Things can be done today that were not possible 50 years ago. I never could get my head around how the voltage regulator works, exactly, but I do know that positive ground and negative ground are different and cannot be mixed. Add to that, there are “type A” and “type B” generator charging systems and they cannot be mixed. Today, it may be possible for a simple thing like a diode or a transistor to be placed inside a regulator so it could function properly on neg or pos grd. I don’t know, I’m guessing, but it seems feasible to me. There were no diodes or transistors in general automotive use before the early sixties. That’s why the regulator was a big box full of wire coils, relays, and contact points. Even the first alternators used a similar regulator. Pretty much everything was neg grd by then, but you still could not mix GM, Ford, and Chrysler regulators to control any one of the different alternators. If one regulator says pos grd on it, it’s probably not going to work on a neg grd system. If the manufacturer of the other one says it will work either way, it probably will. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Thad Thad wrote:

I searched for the standard vr 2 voltage regulator and see its only $80 on amazon. If you look at the sticker on the top it say pos or neg. From what is being said on line I still do not understand how this can be if the polarity is really important. Sorry for my density!!!

Simply put:
Electro-mechanical VR's (usually with 3 relays) don't care about polarity.

VR's with modern electronic components like diodes or transistors work only with one polarity or the other --- POS or NEG.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 30 Jan. 2023 at 8:56pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12