Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Agrijeep?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philwarner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Agrijeep?
    Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 6:34pm
I saw this listed as a 46 CJ-2a on FB Marketplace and wondered about it.  I've read that CJs were first marketed for agricultural use with onloy a driver's seat in them and Willys even obtained a copywrite for the name Agrijeep in 1944 but didn't use the name.  Could this be an Agrijeep?

Phil in NW Arkansas
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 8:18pm
  No. Its just another CJ2-A. The Agrijeeps, or CJ2’s, were all 1944 models. They had square front corners on the rear fender boxes, no under-seat tool box, and no relief in the dash for the column shift rod. This one appears to be wearing an M38 or CJ3A windshield frame and an M38 tailgate. It may even be a CJ3A body. 
  If you want to know about the Agrijeeps and CJ2’s, find you a copy of Fred Coldwell’s “Preproduction Civilian Jeeps”. 
BW    
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2023 at 10:51pm
I'm with BW here.

There are a mix of CJ3A and M38 features to this tub.  This sometimes indicates that the tub is a 1970s vintage reproduction tub.  It could also be an original CJ3A tub (give away is the shape of the wheelhouse) with some M38 additions. As BW mentions, the windshield and tailgate could be M38.  Additionally, the toolbox also looks to have some M38 features. 

Could it be an M38?  No. It is not.  There is no glovebox or other dashboard features that one would expect to see.

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2023 at 8:03am
I agree, I think it's probably a 3A tub with M38 features. Tailgate is M38. I think the windshield is 3A. The dash looks 3A to me.  The back seat brackets are M38.  And the huge gas tank opening is pure Bubba, probably done to accept an M38 gas tank with the large filler neck.  Looks like someone had a 3A and added some M38 parts to it.  I wonder what the serial number plate has for a number. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
 Post Reply Post Reply