Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Head light wire routing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head light wire routing
    Posted: 02 Feb. 2023 at 10:35pm
I should of had this included in my regulator wiring post.
How does the headlight and parkings lights wiring travel from the hole in the firewall to the light block on the inner fender?
Thank you,
John
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2023 at 12:53am
  Again, the Service Manual may be some help. 

Parking light wire goes just like you said it, from the hole in the firewall to the junction block on the fender. Headlight wire goes to the dimmer switch, then two wires (high and low beam) go from the dimmer switch to the junction block. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2023 at 8:39am
Once you exit the firewall with those wires Brice described, gather them into a bundle working towards the fender and wrap them in Harness Tape (not electrical tape) so they can run flat on the fender at about the height of the bottom of the junction block and parallel to the horizontal crease in the fender. the bundle should be a about 3/8 of an inch wide and is held down by two steel clamps that are bolted to the inside of the fender.   Here's an image of the end of it.  I would add a couple of extra wires running from under the dash to the grille and just tape them off, in case you decide to add turn signals or something else one day.

Don't use electrical tape even if tempted. it's glue will melt in summer and create an unholy sticky mess.  You can get the real thing here;   http://vintageconnections.com/Products/Sleeving-and-Wrap   I have no affiliation with them. 

Edited by Qcanuck - 03 Feb. 2023 at 8:40am
John M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2023 at 5:46pm
Okay. You were answering my question best. But a little more info is needed. After coming down the firewall does the wire just jump across to the fender to the seam that goes to the junction block? Or does it run across the firewall to the body panel when catch the rear of the fender then come around it to the junction block?
Thank you.
John
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2023 at 6:12pm
I think vintage Don had a good video that might help you out. Here it is:

43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2023 at 12:51am
This thread with images might help:

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2023 at 8:24am
To answer your question, yes. The harness "jumps the gap" and wires split off to the brake switch and dimmer switch. Here are a couple pics from my Jeep. I've got some pics of an unrestored original that I used for reference during my restoration.

Dave
John M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2023 at 3:14pm
Okay guys I think you all have given me the info I need. Especially Hamhog your picture and words, jumps the gap, is exactly what I was asking about. But others helped me on some questions I would of been asking later.
Cheers,
John
 Post Reply Post Reply