Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dana 18 Shift Rail Seals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 9:36pm
If you do come down to pull a housing/cap from one of my D18s, bring that wonky one and we'll trade. I want to investigate this mystery further.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
cyates176FA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 9:49pm
You’ve got yourself a deal! I’d be curious to see what you came up with. One way or another, I’ll get the Jeep back on the road. I think I’ll know something by Friday if the deals they’re ordering will work. I’ll PM you and we can set it up. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 1:41pm
Well, mystery has been solved. Took the part to Oldpappy, and it was either a sleeve or part of an old seal. I couldn’t determine it from looking, but he made quick work of getting them out. 

Appreciate everyone’s help and input. I know I struggled to understand exactly what I was looking at, and I suppose the same goes for the rebuilder at the shop. 

Looking forward to getting it back together and getting the Jeep back on the road!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 1:50pm
Enjoyed the visit, come back anytime. 

Those shells were cut off so smoothly I think someone did it on purpose, maybe because they had gotten some imported seals that were undersized. Being cut so smoothly it was a little hard to see them.

Edited by Oldpappy - 01 Apr. 2023 at 1:53pm
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Enjoyed the visit, come back anytime. 

Those shells were cut off so smoothly I think someone did it on purpose, maybe because they had gotten some imported seals that were undersized. Being cut so smoothly it was a little hard to see them.

Some of the early OE seals had a 2 piece outer, I would bet that was the case with the seals that were removed.

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 4:03pm
Imagine that Bruce and oldpappy were right!
Not at all surprised that these two guys knew what they were talking about. What’s surprising is that the transmission shop couldn’t tell by looking! Definitely wouldn’t be taking anything to that shopConfused
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 4:04pm
Now that is something I did not know, and had not encountered, but it makes some sense out of this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 6:10pm
To be honest, this type of part is probably not something that the shop deals with. They’ve rebuilt a couple of T18s for me in the past without any issues. So I still feel confident in their abilities. The two-piece seal is certainly an explanation, and makes sense. 

Didn’t doubt Bruce and Oldpappy’s advice; just had to base it on what was present at the time, and what I was told by the shop. I couldn’t see a sleeve, and I didn’t recall the seals looking mangled when they came out - so I thought, as did the shop, that it was just an odd part. 

It’s a learning experience for me, certainly, as it’s my first time rebuilding a transmission and transfer case on my own. And having Oldpappy take the time to show and help with it is an invaluable resource. 
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 6:37pm
oldpappy is a credit to the flatfender community. Need more like him!
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 6:56pm
Thanks for the kind words, but I learned most of what I know from Bruce, and the FSM. Wink

You do have a FSM don't you?

Edited by Oldpappy - 01 Apr. 2023 at 7:21pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 8:05pm
I have the FSM I got from KW. It’s been pretty good so far. This forum has been a very valuable tool, especially for troubleshooting. Also being able to save all the Rick Stivers videos on YouTube. I only had to disassemble the T90 once after the rebuild, haha! 

I appreciate all the patience and help today, Oldpappy. Hopefully at some point I can help other folks out the way y’all on this forum have helped me out. 
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 8:38pm
I grew up not having enough money to hire someone to fix my cars, or anything else. 

So, when something broke I had to figure it out on my own. In those days we didn't have the Internet, but just about any shop manual for an automobile, or a washing machine was available at the public library. I don't even know if that is true anymore.

You learn by doing, and if you learn a bit here and there it adds up. You can already help someone if they happen to run into the same thing you just did. It is called experience, and it comes to all who keep at it. 

This forum, and others like it are a valuable resource, but unfortunately too many people have moved off these forums into Facebook groups. I have avoided that so far, guess I am just not a "social butterfly". Cry

Glad I was able to help, makes me feel worthwhile.

Edited by Oldpappy - 01 Apr. 2023 at 8:41pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyates176FA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 9:29pm

Just to bring the project full circle. Seals pushed in without issue. A little bit of gasket sealant around the edges, and they went in nicely! I’ll have to look into the two-piece seals that were mentioned earlier. Never heard of them, and certainly wouldn’t have thought to look for that. 

Now to get the cap back on and the whole thing back in the Jeep in time to enjoy this East TN spring! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234