Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T90 Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdamT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T90 Question
    Posted: 27 Mar. 2023 at 10:20pm
So I've been piddling with this jeep for around half a decade now, it's a 50 CJ3a with a 231 even fire. 

I drove it some when I first got it and fixed some wiring issues and brake issues, I crawled under it one day and realized the bellhousing was cracked and also the bottom was cut out of it to fit the flywheel, it's got a hacked up adapter on it. 

So I tore the t90 apart while I had the engine out to work on replacing the bellhousing. Problem is the t90 is shot and so is my budget for this year after ordering an Overdrive. 

So the question is can I run a sealed rear bearing in the t90 to keep pieces of metal out of my overdrive and transfer case just Incase the t90 gears explode or chip? LOL 

Edited by AdamT - 27 Mar. 2023 at 10:40pm
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2023 at 10:40pm
You do not want to install your overdrive if your transmission is in poor condition.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2023 at 10:57pm
Agree with that. Don't risk something as expensive as an overdrive compared to the cost of rebuilding or replacing the T-90.

I have a 71 one piece bell housing from a Dauntless that has been drilled and tapped to fit a T-90, so would work with a T-90 or a T-86. 

Rebuilding a T-90 is fairly easy, and not overly expensive.

If you want that bell housing I am in a neighboring state. I would take $80 for it.

Edited by Oldpappy - 27 Mar. 2023 at 11:00pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
AdamT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdamT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2023 at 8:04pm
Pappy I might take you up on that, I'm going to have to machine the adapter I have right now down to fit the new BOP bell housing, and that might not go very well.

Here's some pictures of the gears.

Light shining through the splines on the mainshaft.

Missing dogs on the input shaft.

The input shaft bearing is more like a slip fit than a snug or tight fit, turns out someone rebuilt the transmission and didn't put a lock ring behind the bearing on the input shaft and had the oil slinger turned around with a shim next to it, do you guys think I should just hold out and look for another transmission or maybe buy one from herm?
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 2:00pm
I've got to believe that a guy in Kentucky is close to a lot of possible sources for a "nice price" used T90 in decent condition.   There's Harry Sheets near Crawfordsville, for example.  He surely has a few.   There's the upcoming Willys meet at Hueston Woods in early June - I bet you can get a lead on one there.

Herm is a good source but he won't be cheap and he's cranky to deal with.   You might be just fine with a local opportunity at much less cost.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 2:16pm
 The WWII jeep's T84 transmission was designed to be isolated, oil-wise, from the transfer case.   I don't think that's true for the postwar T90s and transfer cases.   

Us T84 guys can have a problem with oil being pumped from the transfer case into the transmission at highway speeds, and overflowing because there's no real path for the oil to flow back.   A sealed main shaft bearing on the t84 helps mitigate the problem.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 3:50pm
if your going to buy a T90 talk to Richard Darr at Washougal Classic  Jeep  he does almost all of Herms transmission work as well as a number of the other big jeep parts guys..Hes the wrench behind the web sites..
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2023 at 4:11pm
I've seen a lot of T90 pieces in far worse conditions than those.  I'm another that would be looking for a replacement, if for nothing else, parts.  Used T90's aren't usually worth much more than scrap prices but even if you locate one, the probability that it too doesn't need rebuilt is going to be pretty high.

Your adapter may be part of the reason for the wear on that input shaft.  Those need to be dead on if you expect things to last.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
AdamT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdamT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2023 at 11:51am
Well I went ahead and grabbed some NOS gears from Ron Fitzpatrick, I'm really impressed by the speed and ease of using him.

I did have to buy a Crown input shaft and 2nd gear, funny thing though my current input shaft is only 11" everything I have read states it should be 11.5" for a J input shaft.

Thanks for the input guys; I will start a build thread soon and maybe show off my 1 of a kind Rochester Dualjet to Motorcraft 2 barrel carb adapter, that year had a really funky intake. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply