Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering shaft

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering shaft
    Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 12:13am
Can a steering shaft for a CJ3A, 647693, be used in place of a 2A shaft, A742? If so, what if any modifications are required?

Thanks, 
Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 12:41am
Are you talking about the Sector Shaft or the Worm Gear Steering Shaft?   The Sector is interchangeable.
The Worm Shaft is not.  The 3A shaft is approximately 2" longer.  I guess you could cut it then add the threading back on the end.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 12:43am
  The 693 shaft is an inch longer than the 742. You could use it if you change the mast jacket tube to the 914054, late tube, but that will move the steering wheel closer to your chest, and you may not like that. If you are a good welder or know one, you might shorten the 693 shaft and make it work. I know some dont like the idea of any heating or welding on steering parts, and I respect their paranoia. You may need to drill a hole for the horn wire if your jeep is a ‘45, ‘46, or ‘47. But yeah, it’s not a direct interchange but it can be made to work. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 9:38am
Thanks. I saw one for sale and thought about getting it, but it looks like more problems then it is worth.

Micah

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 10:31am
I shortened one of those. Cut 1" out of the middle of the shaft, beveled the cut edges, drilled holes on either end of the cut for plug welding and put a fitted "splint" inside the shaft then welded the joint and the plug welds to the "splint". The "splint was also hollow so my horn wire can pass through.
My local drive shaft guy would not touch a steering shaft, said his insurance forbid it.
BOULDER 48 2A
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 11:14am
As a former owner of a driveline shop I would not touch steering shafts either because my insurance company would not cover the liability issues. The exception was if I used ALL factory fabricated parts in the assembly of a steering shaft. The insurance company had no problems insuring me for automotive and truck driveshafts as long as I used generally accepted industry practice.

Had I been shortening a jeep steering shaft I would have shortened it by taking material of the upper end to the right length and in a mill re-splined the end with the proper tool in an index or in a lathe use the proper knurl (a little harder to do, but not impossible). Then re-threaded it in the lathe. Job done.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 29 Mar. 2023 at 11:16am
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 11:15am
I don't have one in front of me to see whether this would work, but seems the logical way to shorten it would be to cut the top end off and re-thread it for the nut, but a reinforced splice welded as Terry describes would not give me any fears. 

I had a good long shaft Ross box which I used on my CJ2A and while one would think the long shaft would have given me even less room it actually made more room between my belly and the wheel which is where I needed it at the time. I am 6'1" and at that time weighed 265 lbs. I have since lost 47 lbs and that CJ2A seems to have plenty of room for me now, still with the long steering column. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 11:56am
Talked to the seller and they are guessing as to the part number. Does anyone know the exact lengths of the two shafts and the worm gears? 

Micah

WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 12:22pm
Good Afternoon Terry:

One of my other afflictions is to hang out at the local airport with some of the EAA guys.  What you are describing is similar to the FAA approved repairs on a fabric covered tube air frame. 

The only difference is how you may have made the cut.  It appears that the 1" you removed you did so by making the cut perpendicular to the shaft length.  The FAA repair manuals want you to make the cut diagonally across the tube.  I dont know the exact calculations on how it is figured, but as I recall the distance between the point and the heel of the cut was between 2-3 inches in length.

Obviously this has two great advantages, it increases the welded surface and spreads the stress out over a longer length of the tube and does not concentrate at one short point.   There are also two holes drilled in the outside tube on each side of the cut that are plug welded, similar to what you did.

The insurance company has been quoted a couple of times for reasons that a commercial shop can't do this job.  While I don't blame the agents or your local folks, I have had nothing but bad experiences with the underwriters and the insurance companies, any time I actually needed to collect.  I spell ALL companies with 4 letters!  

Regards,

Walter
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 12:32pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 3:31pm
Thanks Pappy. Looks like what he has is for the 3A. 

Micah

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 5:04pm
Kind off of subject here, but does anyone know of a good way to repair the threads at the top of the steering shaft for the steering wheel nut?  I have one that I buggered up the threads pulling a steering wheel off a long time ago.  Maybe someone here has used one of those split die thread chasers on one?
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 5:28pm
I just use a thread file on threads I need to clean a little. Something like these: 

I probably bought mine at NAPA or Harbor Freight. 

Edited by Jeff J - 29 Mar. 2023 at 5:30pm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

Thanks Pappy. Looks like what he has is for the 3A. 

Micah

Yes, I understood that from the first post. The 3A shaft is longer than the 2A shaft and that is why the discussion has centered around shortening one. As Bruce said the longer shaft can be used if you also use the longer "mast jacket", which is commonly called a steering column tube. That is what I did when I installed a later steering gear in my CJ2A. 

I like it for two reasons. The longer column raises the wheel up off my belly, and the horn wire exits the bottom of the box eliminating that brush used on early Jeeps. Getting a good solder joint on that thing has never been easy for me.

I think most of the new reproduction mast jackets/tubes they sell are the long version which have to be trimmed to fit the shorter shafts used in earlier Jeeps. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 29 Mar. 2023 at 6:12pm
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 7:20pm
  Wink Sorry. The Service Manual and the Parts List both call it “Column”, Walck’s and Kaiser-Willys both call it “Column Tube”. GM calls it (or did) “Mast Jacket”. “Column” would include the mast jacket and everything inside it. I spoke GM for many years before I started speaking jeep. I’ll be more careful. LOL
  Late ‘48 CJ2-A’s with the new frame and other updates used the longer “tube and cam”, same as the CJ3A & B. 
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 29 Mar. 2023 at 7:45pm

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 7:30pm
Nothing to be sorry about, "Mast Jacket" is just as accurate a description as any. Just a lot of the young pups may not know what a "mast" is. Wink 

I have a complete steering gear I took off that 47. The previous owner supposedly "rebuilt" it, but judging from the fact he installed a 15/16" Pittman arm on the 7/8" sector shaft caused me not to trust what he may have done, or the parts he may have used, on the "rebuild". So, I installed one I rebuilt myself. One of these days I will tear that one down to see what is inside, it does have a pretty paint job. 

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2023 at 9:03pm
'Mast' ...... 'propeller'......so many boat terms. LOL
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply