Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do TO your jeep today? April 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2023 at 1:10pm
The tank is from a local farm/hardware store. Paul B. Zimmerman hardware. Quite the amazing store. I have yet to go there and not find what I was looking for and then some. The whole setup was $350. It’s a 40 gallon tank and the pump is a 5gpm 70psi demand pump. I’m impressed by it, it has better pressure than my house. I put a switch on the dash and a plug in the back and route the wires through the knockout for the rear seat. 

Edited by Agas46cj - 22 Apr. 2023 at 1:16pm
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2023 at 2:57pm
haha! i have been to paul b's! and bought my dewalt impact driver from them. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2023 at 7:07pm
Best hardware store ever! They’ve recently remodeled and are 4x bigger. They even have kroil on the shelf. 
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2023 at 10:13pm
I reinstalled the intake manifold on my 3B.  The backstory here was I paid a substantial sum (over 2k) to a professional engine builder to assemble (no parts) this and even provided the very specific assembly instructions for the not very stock block.  The guy apparently thought he knew all that was needed.  After totally assembling the Willys, I filled the cooling system.  That was followed by multiple antifreeze accumulations on the floor, spouting from both the head stud nuts and the head gaskets.  So the top end all came back apart again, new head gaskets, this time hopefully installed correctly.  The guy replaced 4 head studs when assembling because the end ones that came with the block kit were too short for the heads used.  I assumed he got those from Dart as the studs have special seats for specific to the block.  That apparently wasn't the case so I chucked those up in the lathe and remachined the block ends.  When I was putting the last head on (left side) I found another stud he inexplicably cut the seat off for some reason.  I have another ordered to replace that.  It is also going to need some lathe work.

I still need to pull the pan as there was more than a little antifreeze in it from the leaking stud nuts under the valve covers.  While it's off, I'm going to lop the front right of the sump off to give my front pinion yoke/u-joint a little more clearance.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2023 at 11:50pm
I prefit  and figured out the clamping on the front section of my hard top roof.tomorrow I will JB Weld it together.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2023 at 7:55am
I did the bi-annual repack of the front wheel bearings, and pulled the push rod cover on the 153 to address a persistent old drip. Turns out it was kinked so I’m replacing it with one from my spare engine. I should have it re-installed today along with an oil change.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
jpoole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpoole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2023 at 10:33am
Finished the brake system repairs on the M38.  After more than 30 years of owning and driving flat fender jeeps I got to drive one with brakes for the first time :)

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2023 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by jpoole jpoole wrote:

Finished the brake system repairs on the M38.  After more than 30 years of owning and driving flat fender jeeps I got to drive one with brakes for the first time :)

Yeah, always nice to have brakes.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2023 at 2:45pm
Yesterday got the front section of the hard top glued up.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 9:09am
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

I reinstalled the intake manifold on my 3B.  The backstory here was I paid a substantial sum (over 2k) to a professional engine builder to assemble (no parts) this and even provided the very specific assembly instructions for the not very stock block.  The guy apparently thought he knew all that was needed.  After totally assembling the Willys, I filled the cooling system.  That was followed by multiple antifreeze accumulations on the floor, spouting from both the head stud nuts and the head gaskets.  So the top end all came back apart again, new head gaskets, this time hopefully installed correctly.  The guy replaced 4 head studs when assembling because the end ones that came with the block kit were too short for the heads used.  I assumed he got those from Dart as the studs have special seats for specific to the block.  That apparently wasn't the case so I chucked those up in the lathe and remachined the block ends.  When I was putting the last head on (left side) I found another stud he inexplicably cut the seat off for some reason.  I have another ordered to replace that.  It is also going to need some lathe work.

I still need to pull the pan as there was more than a little antifreeze in it from the leaking stud nuts under the valve covers.  While it's off, I'm going to lop the front right of the sump off to give my front pinion yoke/u-joint a little more clearance.
Sounds like you've got it figured out, but just fyi, one of my coworker's son just started as a designer at Dart. If you have any questions, I can relay to him. He's a serious car nut and I'm sure would love to help. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2023 at 10:00pm
  I installed a complete new exhaust system from the manifold back on Lefty.  

The original plan for Lefty was to just make it start, run, go, steer, and stop, and let someone else enjoy it from there. But I keep finding things that I would want fixed If I was keeping it, and I can't let it go the way it is. I never did like the common muffler shop version with the muffler directly under the gas tank (a contributor to vapor-lock) and the outlet at the LR corner. The oval muffler doesn't sound right either. This jeep has soaked up a lot of my time and collected up a lot of my spare parts, but it's a much nicer jeep than it was, and should be a pleasant, reliable driver. Maybe I should have done a "Project" thread on it.
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Agas46cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agas46cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 3:58pm
Today I did the trackick front brake conversion to disc brakes. Very happy with it. I also replaced the master cylinder with a joes motor pool new one(early MB style). I made no changes to the master cylinder and no proportioning valve. It locks the front in gravel and pavement. Stops quicker and easier. Even my wife noticed the difference when I had her drive it. This has me considering doing the rear axle next at some point. Next up for this weekend however is I’m going to make up a slack adjuster for the brake pedal, put in a roll cage and 3 point belts. I might also remove the inner windshield to take it to a glass shop. 
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 5:20pm
I pulled the Koenig king winch off the pile and put it on saw horses. That could mean something, or, it might not.
 But thinking about doing something is where doing something usually starts.

Now that I ordered a plasma cutter, that there winch install project just got moved to front of line.

Ready to get "reconditioned".

Edited by jhg - 27 May 2023 at 8:54pm
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 7:55pm
I have knee replacement surgery scheduled for Wednesday, so am not able to do much to a Jeep unless I can do it sitting down.

I do have a rolling stool and a L134 engine on a stand.

So, I rolled my stool over and installed the oil pan and tappet cover on the L134 which I recently finished getting ready for installation, and then I painted it too. 

Already have freshly built transmission and transfer case for this project, and a set of freshened up military surplus M38A1 axles. 

Once I am recovered from the surgery I can start assembling a JEEP. Big smile

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 9:52pm

Great pic!  Hope you don’t mind that I saved it!
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 10:29pm

...After more than 30 years of owning and driving flat fender jeeps I got to drive one with brakes for the first time :)

Cool old jeep. The scars, cuts and weld-ons are pretty interesting.

1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 12:07am
Brakes are required anywhere outside of Mississippi Wink 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
JonJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 7:23am
Nothing 😀

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>