Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter Options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter Options
    Posted: 21 May 2023 at 10:10pm
I got the garage sale willys running yesterday, appears alright, good oil pressure, lots of smoke from mystery oil in the cylinders but cleaned up pretty quick, all looks good. I really just wanted to hear it run to decide a course of action. I got the tranny drained, flushed clean and refilled. The starter did not appear to fully engage so I pulled it off to test it. On the bench it spun good with 12 volts but the drive did not extend as far as it should, there is some wear to the drive gear and the ring gear that indicates it might have been an ongoing problem. My question is this: The body is a 47 2A, but I think the engine must be a later model 3A. It has a 124 tooth ring gear and a 9 tooth starter drive. The starter is an autolite MZ 4163 12F. The carb is a solex that is mounted sideways, it has a vacuum advance distributor. I’m wondering if it may be a commercial engine set up. It is a 12 volt conversion. I’m thinking of putting a 12 volt hi-torque mini-starter on to replace the MZ 4163. Does anyone have any experience with them or know a good source? Thanks in advance, any input on the manifold setup would be greatly appreciated!      
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 10:27pm
Hey Stan,
I believe the manifold is a DJ3A thing.
I have one of the high torque starters on one of my 3As, and can give you some info, but you might need to share which bell housing you have.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 10:33pm
I have one of the high torque mini starters which came on an engine, trans, and transfer case I bought.

I do not have it in a vehicle yet but I did mount it into a junk frame to see how it ran, and that starter spins it over with authority. 

That is an unusual intake manifold and throttle linkage, so I am thinking it was for something other than a Jeep originally, but I have no idea what something.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 10:39pm
I found the thread talking about the little starters...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 10:41pm
https://www.rareelectrical.com/

I got mine from here.  Love it!!
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 11:29pm
Thanks Tim, pardon my ignorance but what do I need to be looking for on the bell housing? Also, don't the 2A's usually have a 10 tooth starter bendix?
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I have one of the high torque mini starters which came on an engine, trans, and transfer case I bought.

I do not have it in a vehicle yet but I did mount it into a junk frame to see how it ran, and that starter spins it over with authority. 

That is an unusual intake manifold and throttle linkage, so I am thinking it was for something other than a Jeep originally, but I have no idea what something.

Thanks Pappy, I'm seeing quite a lot on this old jeep that looks unusual. Any comment on the vacuum advance distributor? I attached a picture of the manifold that shows a willys application. As Tim suggested, I'm gonna look at the DJ's, I think the setup may have been for a YF carburetor.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

https://www.rareelectrical.com/

I got mine from here.  Love it!!

I think ya'll sold me on the little starter, just need to find the right one without getting skinned! I'm gonna beat the bushes tomorrow and see what I can find. Has anyone heard of this company?
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 11:56pm
Since you have a vacuum advance distributor, I am going to guess that that engine came out of a pickup, a wagon, a Jeepster, a later CJ or a later DJ.  It is likely not from any stationary engine application as those really do not need a vacuum advance since they they run at one RPM all the time. Again, this is a guess. I would call it a SWAG, not a WAG.

BTW, & IMHO, The vacuum advance is a good upgrade, I would keep it. OTOH, The Jeep police would harass you for it. I personally do not care about keeping my Willys in factory correct condition. I like my rigs to run well. If it is stock & runs well, fine. Yet if it is not stock & runs well, that is fine as well.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 9:16am
I second the vacuum advance. Better fuel mileage and better idle. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 9:42am
I personally do not care about keeping my Willys in factory correct condition. I like my rigs to run well. If it is stock & runs well, fine. Yet if it is not stock & runs well, that is fine as well.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the input, always welcome! At my age I agree, if it works, leave it alone. It looks like you and Tim was right, the engine may have come out of a dispatcher.This old Jeep was owned then sold by a local company that specialized in automotive electrical, but did a lot of work on Jeeps of all sorts. I found some info that mentioned the sideways carburetor, maybe a YF. Amazing what you can find on the internet!
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 11:10am
  This Jeep Police officer has no problem with a vacuum-advance distributor that is a Willys-Overland part, be it from a truck, wagon, DJ or whatever. What concerns me most is that of all of the vacuum-advance Go-Devil and Hurricane distributors I have seen, only one had a good advance can on it (That one is, in fact, on one of my CJ2-A’s now😉). Vacuum advance that doesn’t work will certainly not be better than a good non-vacuum-advance distributor. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 11:48am
I bought a starter from Snap Rebuilders in Salt Lake City, $225 with shipping. They answered the phone when I called, the guy knew exactly what I needed. They shipped it the next day then UPS hauled it around two weeks before they delivered it. I got it installed and works great,( looks like a toy).
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 12:06pm
The intake is defiantly a supersonic/truck/wagon/Jeepster/DJ model that would have had a YF carb, as well as the Vacuume advance dist.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

The intake is defiantly a supersonic/truck/wagon/Jeepster/DJ model that would have had a YF carb, as well as the Vacuume advance dist.

Lee

Thanks for the input, the engine was installed by a local jeep hustler who then sold it to a local preacher. It presently has a solex on it and seems to run pretty well. The old 1948 2a that I'm working on has a Nova II engine which also has a YF on it, turned 90 degrees. I have an extra YF that I'll probably rebuild to replace the solex.   

Edited by 47 deuce alpha - 08 June 2023 at 12:24pm
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by 47 deuce alpha 47 deuce alpha wrote:

Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

Lee

Thanks for the input, the engine was installed by a local jeep hustler who then sold it to a local preacher. It presently has a solex on it and seems to run pretty well. The old 1948 2a that I'm working on has a Nova II engine which also has a YF on it, turned 90 degrees. I have an extra YF that I'll probably rebuild to replace the solex.   

A good running Solex is a rare bird if it works run it…. Good luck with your project whatever path you take 👍🏽

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply