Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fixing a bent MB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixing a bent MB
    Posted: 09 June 2023 at 12:13am
Since it’s summer and I’m not doing librarian stuff, I’m helping my friend Dave Delight of Quick Draq Heep Restorations.

Today we were working on a modified MB that got a little bashed while on the trail. Here’s a short vid of what happened and how we fixed it.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 12:24pm
Great repair!

Reminds me of a 74 Ford pickup my dad brought home in the early 80s. He had gotten it cheap because it had been T-boned by a Harley hitting the passenger door which was folded in so far you could use the arm rest from the driver seat. 

He asked me "Can you fix it?" I said "If you buy another cab" but he wouldn't go for that he just wanted it stretched out so a new door could be hung, and said he didn't care how good it looked.

I used pretty much the same approach as in the video. I parked the truck between two stout oak trees, chained the driver side to one and using a pair of large come-along winches chained to the passenger side and the other tree I started pulling, while using a 12 lb sledge hammer and a floor jack to try and work out the bent floor board. 

When the door was caved in by the wreck it had pulled in the door opening pretty good. I got it straightened as much as I could but still had to cut an inch wide section out of the cab spread the door opening and weld it to make it fit the new door. It looked pretty bad, but the door would open and close and it suited dad well enough that he drove that old truck for about 20 years.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 9:16pm
Stan's body work skills, learned in the aftermath of the "Evanston Incident" are serving him well years later.Thumbs Up

Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2023 at 12:13am
That's a pretty clever way to do that! I ended up using a large pipe wrench to bend mine back out, but I wasn't as large of a bend
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2023 at 3:19am
i once fubared a Nissan low rider pickup that dove out from behind a mini motor home and committed vehicular suicide on the right front corner of my 1966 Ford F250 camper special. I was able to limp my truck home as I was only about 8 blocks away. The Nissan ended up out in a horse pasture. The right front fender was pushed in enough to damage the almost brand new ft tire. I had to deal with the fender before I could replace the tire so I drilled 4) 3/8" holes in the dent and put eye bolts in them then ran chains from them to a tree in the front yard and backed up until the dent was almost out. While the tension was on I beat on that 14ga fender with a hammer. Then drove to the tire dealer to try to talk them into agreeing a 17 year old crying football player driving the toy pickup his mommy bought for him was a road hazard and they should cover it under my warranty. No dice. But it worked out State Farm the mommies insurance totalled my truck. That I drove in to pickup the check. The Nissan ended up at pick-a-part.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2023 at 8:16am
I used my wench to pull on the bent left front fender on BamBam while jpet used a hammer to caress the sheet metal back into shape. 

64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2023 at 11:43am
A solid practice for reversing collision damage to a vehicle- well done.

Used to do this every day.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2023 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by muley muley wrote:

Stan's body work skills, learned in the aftermath of the "Evanston Incident" are serving him well years later.Thumbs Up

Absolutely!  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply