Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pinto engine in a 2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pinto engine in a 2A
    Posted: 20 Nov. 2005 at 3:15am

Does anyone have info on the 2000cc or 2300cc Pinto engine swap into a CJ2A? I have seen the Novak adapters website, but need some more detail. Has anyone performed this swap? At my altitude, my flathead is really down in power, but I don't want to go over the Buick V-6, and the Ol' Pinto swap seems a good idea.

Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2005 at 9:45am

Are you sure you have it tuned right?  My 2a does just fine.  I have taken it up the canyon to Nederland and she did 45 up most of the way.  The metering rod is probably the stock one and should be replaced with a high alltitude rod.  Also, valve adjustment is critical.

Lew

Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2005 at 11:06am

Lew,

Where can you get a high altitude metering rod. I live in Cheyenne and would be interested in that to give me some more power (that is when my 2A is back on the road).

Morgan

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2005 at 11:20am
The Pinto engine makes a GREAT combination without overpowering everything else....The way I did mine (the 2A pictured in the Seat Belts thread) was by using a C-4 automatic adapted to the Dana 18 by way of an Advance Adapters adapter. (The Pinto auto is a C-3, or at least the early '70s ones were...and that's basically the same as a C-4. The adapter just deals with the output shaft and replaces the tailshaft so these are the same. The differences between a C-3 and C-4 are internal and of no concern in doing this swap).....Mounts are a simple rubber biscuit type homemade affair (no problem, I believe I used the motor supports off the Pinto and modified them) Possibly could use what Novak sells for the swap I don't know.......I know their swap is used with the T-90 and is a less expensive way of doing it, but the C-4 is a really good combination with 5.38 gears....A real 'usable' vehicle. It will easily run 55-60 (a good bit more if the windshield vibration doesn't scare you to death!) And with the gears and the torque multiplication of the automatic, it works like you wouldn't believe off-road. I would advise it in a heartbeat as long as you take the cost into consideration.No more involved than a V-6 swap and MUCH cleaner. If I was building another and was faced with that decision, I wouldn't consider the V-6 for five minutes......Let me know if you have any more questions.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2005 at 2:18pm

The Carburator shop, I think they are in Calf. but not sure.  They sell a high alltitude rod for about $80.  I thought that was pricey so I electroplated mine to make it larger.  I do Zinc plating at home with a simple set up.  I just plated it several times until the size leaned her out.  I think she could still use one more plate but right now she will hit 60 if I rap the motor out.  Not good for those long stroke motors.  For Cheyenne she would run like a raped ape!  I drove up the pass above George town last fall and she did great.  I guess it depends on what you want out of your jeep.  I prefer to save the history and plan on using another '47 for a trail rig. 

Lew

Lew Ladwig
Madman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2005 at 10:16pm

Thanks Rocnroll! My low end torque on the flatty doesn't allow much in the way of wheelin in 4 hi. I would definately have to lean the carb up in the flatty (new solex) but I think that up here may just not have the abilities.

Lew, is that metering rod for the carter or for a solex? I installed electronic ignition, but the running rich really dogs it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2005 at 10:33pm

The metering rod is for the original carter.  I don't know much about the solex.

Lew

Lew Ladwig
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2005 at 12:22am
Madman, I'm at about 400 ft. here in Alabama but that 2A I did the Pinto in did fine at 7,000 ft. when I came out west a few times. Admitedly, if I was going out there to stay any length of time, some carb jetting would be beneficial but I wasn't disappointed by any means. I was using a Weber replacement carb.(not the 'hot rod' Weber, just a small replacement for the stock Holley/Weber that came on a '71 Pinto)
Drifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2005 at 2:34am
Oh sure, chad.  Rub it in that mine is still in pieces...AND that I have to sell off the parts jeep and put the one I'm working on in storage while I am away in nashville on my internship

Eh I still like the figures of the v6 swap...about twice the horsepower with adding only 10 lbs in the front end.  more power without the shoehorn-a-v8 in I have heard that some kind of special exhaust manifolds fit inside the frame rails, but from what I've seen they generally run fender-well-exit headers

Guess I can take the welder up with me and do what I can on small parts and brush up on some skills  and just ferry parts back and forth as I come back on weekends or whatever for the gf.

Still got that present Chad.  Gonna call tomorrow.

Luke

Luke

?? dj3a
-(to be tagged as 48 cj2a)
00 Ford Ranger
07 kia rio

in Ripley TN
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2005 at 9:17am
You told me that swap shouldn't take longer than a week or two, what's the holdup?   Oh yeah, I bought another DJ yesterday.
Drifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2005 at 3:17am
and how overdue on your project are ya? 

By the way not sure if I said but those axles looked pretty good.   how is the engine coming?

had more questions but you know how it is when you get on a subject you like and forget those questions

oh, where did you get those seats in the tan jeep?

by the way I got a hardtop that would look great on that one

Luke
Luke

?? dj3a
-(to be tagged as 48 cj2a)
00 Ford Ranger
07 kia rio

in Ripley TN
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2005 at 8:37am
Yeah, but I didn't say "I think I'll be able to get it done while I'm off on vacation." either. ......The seats in the '48 are from a boating/outdoor supply store out here on the highway.
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2005 at 2:45pm

Wow so you just plate the metering rod to increase its thickness. That's pretty slick and beats the heck out of 80 bucks. I'll have to remember that.

Morgan

Post Reply Post Reply