Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Axle bumper spacers FYI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2007 at 4:24pm
BTW:  these wood shims are so uniformly made and fit so well that I would doubt a farmer/user would have done it.  Maybe an after-market supplier.  The history of my jeep, which shows only two or three owners suggests, as well, that none of them would  have gone to the trouble--although one of the first two DID have all four main spring ends bent upwards apparently to compensate for sagging springs. which may or may not have something to tell us about the reason for the "lifts" on the front.

del clear

Together we can figure it out, after all, it's only a machine, if a man can build it, a man can fix it. {Author: bkruetz}
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2007 at 5:18am
Originally posted by dclear dclear wrote:

Do you  happen to have a "shot" 6v relay?  I know a guy who wants to mount an original looking relay carcass on the fender just for looks, since he is converting to 12, I believe, and will have his "working" regular hidden away somewhere.

del clear

Hi, If you are referring to the regulator, I do have an old one that is likely burned out.  It is not the original Auto-lite vrp-4007 but it is an oldie with a steel cover and such.  You guys can have it if you want it.  I was just keeping it to rebuild some day, but if you can use it now, let me know and I'll mail it off your way.

Daniel
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2007 at 2:45pm
Ok, here is the tech bulletin I was referring to:

Bulletin 48-19  dated 4/2/48

It has been found that Bumper Spacer, part No. 640207, two required per vehicle is available when installing a power take-off assembly to prevent the power take-off propeller shaft from striking the axle on full spring deflection.

A number of power take-off units, Part No. 640869 Rear Power Take-off Assembly: 647043, Rear Power Take-off Complete Kit: and 640726, Power Take-off Complete Kit, have been sold through our Parts Department in which was not included the necessary Bumper Spacer, Part No. 640207, and the attaching Bolts, Part No. GM100018, 5/16-24x2”.

These bumper spacers and attaching bolts are available through the Parts Department and should be installed on all Jeeps in which power take-off installations have been made locally. These spacers and attaching parts are now included in kits furnished by the Parts Department.

The necessary bumper spacer has been installed on all Jeeps equipped with Factory installed power take-offs: therefore Jeeps these Jeeps will not require any further attention.

Bill

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2007 at 8:40pm
and that bulletin addresses the rear bumpers, but mentions nothing about the front bumpers..all 4 of my bumper spacers are the same, with the same part number and are cast material, all 4 are flat, none are curved, and sit perfectly flat against the frame.. (doesn't mean they are factory, but they did have what looked like 60 years of the same crud on them when i removed them)...low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2007 at 9:09pm
Who knows what really went on in that factory! Here is a good shot of the rear spacers removed and a bad shot of the fronts installed.
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2007 at 9:20pm
i am curious if your fronts have the same part number as the rears, i would almost bet they do :)
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2007 at 9:57pm
What do you want to bet?
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2007 at 10:16pm
well, i just went out and inspected my 4 that came off of the '45 frame, 2 have been sandblasted, and 2 haven't been yet, and guess what...  all 4 have the 640207 part number, and i have to make a correction, 2 of them ARE slightly bowed, the other 2 are not.....but all 4 will fit at any place on the frame i apply them..low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2007 at 2:34am
Remember, that's a casting number, not a part number.

There are a number of instances where the same casting was used to make different parts:
eg. connecting rods - the same casting was use for all rods, but there were 2 different part numbers for #1 & 3 cylinders, and #2 & 4 cylinders

Sometimes they used the casting number as the part number, sometimes they did not.

Sean

Edited by sean - 02 Nov. 2007 at 9:52pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2007 at 11:27am
I have a tech bulletin related to the front ones. I'll dig that out. As I recall, it is from 1948 and is in regards to Monroe Lift equipped 2As.

Bill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2007 at 6:15pm
Ok, here is a tech bulletin on found on the front spacers.

Bulletin 48-60 10/28/48

When special equipment is installed, such as the Monroe Hydraulic Pump and special drives for winches and water pumps, it has been necessary to install Front Axle Bumper Spacers, Part No. 646671, in order to prevent interference with the front axle on full spring compression.

Beginning with Model CJ-2A, Serial No. 178936, on March 17,1948, Part No. 646671 Front Axle Bumper Spacers were installed in regular production. After this serial number, the insertion of additional spacers, when installing front power take-off driven equipment, is not necessary.

Now, due to a recent change in Model CJ-2A frame, further use of the Front Axle Bumper Spacers is not required. This new frame started with Model CJ-2A, Serial No. 215648, on September 20, 1948.

Bill

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2007 at 6:23pm

Bill,

I just realized that the information in that tech bulletin relates apparent production dates to serial numbers.  It seems that "someone" Big%20smile could go through your collection of tech bulletins and relate some number of dates to serial numbers over the production span of the 2A.   That could be of interest for those curious about when their 2As were built.  Do most of the bulletins that mention changes at a given serial number also indicate the date of the change?

Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2007 at 7:11pm
Sam,

Funny you mention that. I was thinking that myself when I posted that. Yes, most of the production changes include serial number and build date for the change. If I get some time, ha,ha, I'd like to build a table with the dates and serial numbers. Maybe over the holidays I'll get some time to do that.

Bill
dan s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 10:09pm
Here is a little more Willys History on front axle spacer, part number 646671.
Found this in one of my vintage willys manuals.
Dan S

Edited by dan s - 29 July 2018 at 10:11pm
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 2:03am
While I don't know if the wooden spacers were factory, I will say that the hood blocks for the windshield to lay on were oak.
The hat channels had oak inside of them and the spacers to  lower the cross member for the T98 were oak.
So, if they are neat, consistant and look like they may have come from the factory, I'd guess they are made of...oak. LOL
1946 CJ2A 14098
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12