Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

electronic ignition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: electronic ignition
    Posted: 21 Nov. 2005 at 11:49pm
I want to put electronic ignition on my CJ2a. The engine is stock, it still has a 6 volt generator. I need some recommendations.
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2005 at 12:00am

Edited by trader_reed - 30 Apr. 2006 at 7:11pm
tjboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2005 at 12:27am
I've cleaned the points and set the gap correctly, the engine runs fine. I want something better. Thanks for your help.
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2005 at 11:19am

Haven't heard a single thing bad about them. people who use it are happy with the performance. There was someone in upstate CT supplying the correct Pertronics for the L head but I lost the address.

http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/ignitor.htm

Edited by Ritt - 22 Nov. 2005 at 11:21am
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2005 at 11:37am
lots of discussion about the merits or lack there of on a vehicle of this vintage on numerous Jeep sites.  Personally I put one in mine 4 years ago and instead of carrying points as a back-up, I bought another unit.   
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2005 at 9:08pm
.........and I've had the same points in mine for well over 4 years and see no need for a backup.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2005 at 9:20pm

like I said lots of opinions on the merits or lack there of.  I carry a spare because I move my vehicle about 200 miles away from home in the summer.  I also carry a spare water pump, fuel pump, fan belt, and spark plugs.  Back at home I have another starter (rebuilt), original radiator (not rebuilt but doesn't leak), manifold, etc etc lots of stuff.  Guess I may be a little over the top but what the heck, I can always sell the stuff on EBAY

to each his own on spare parts.  when I had the points I always made sure I had a spare of everything in the distributor.  They may have been used, but they worked.  I hate being "out of the water".

Just Jeff being Jeff that's all 

Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2005 at 8:28am

Jeff,

Very interested in putting one in. I remember someone in CT selling sets for the L-134 but lost the e-mail address. Where did you get yours?

Do you select by distrib. number or are all the sets the same for the 4-L134 engine/Autolite. They don't seem to go back in years in their ads.

Thanks,

Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov. 2005 at 9:47am

If I remember correctly, I ended up calling Pertronix directly.  I do think you need the info off of your distributor.  If unavailable (tag missing), and it is original, they should be able to help.  If not let me know and I will get the model off of the one they sent me. 

http://www.pertronix.com/

Being a Yankee I ended up calling around to get the best price.  I think it came out of upper state New York (?)

Jeff

Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2005 at 9:17am
jp magazine hada a big write up on the ele ing. it seemed like a good idea to me. i was thinking  about it.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2005 at 8:39am

OK, Found the site where other 2A owners had bought the conversion. It's in Norfolk CT and he IS familiar with CJ2A distributers.

http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/index.htm

Rit

1948 2A,

Post Reply Post Reply