Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Bumpers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bumpers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2007 at 7:56pm
Jack,

That is a nice drawing.  Since I could never print quite as regularly as that, I'm guessing you did that on the Mac equivalent of an Etch-a-Sketch.  Wink  What software is it?
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2007 at 8:30pm
Hehehe....just like an "engineering-type"...can't even letter! <g> But thanks Sam.

It's not quite the equivalent of "Etch-a-Sketch"...more the "dream" of AutoCAD users -- VectorWorks. It's a program that I've used for quite a few years...ever since giving up the Rapidographs and the Clearprint (and I sure do miss those days, sometimes! <g>) It began on the Mac back in the early '90s, I guess, and it's been available on both platforms for the last 4 or 5 years. It's really ideal for the small-practice guys like me, and it ain't too shabby for the "big guys", either. They cover the architectural, mechanical, civil, landscape, display, and theatrical fields with "specialized" versions, and do some pretty "whiz-bang" stuff.

For a lot of "quick sketches" though, I grab SketchUp for the 3D stuff, even though VectorWorks is more capable...it's more just that it's more tedious for quick studies.
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2007 at 12:28am
Nice drawing Jack! Clap  We should get you to do drawings for all the original jeep body parts!  Yeah, that's the ticket!  You could simply reverse-engineer all the parts as you take Junebug apart, and post them to the parts discussion.  Then everyone would have access to the drawings and we could all kneel and pray toward Quitman GA, home of the jeep drawing Guru!  LOL   Can't you just feel the love??! Hug
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2007 at 1:30am
Jack, great drawing!

My 2 bumpers confirm your dimensions (except 1) to +/- 1/16", which is probably w/in manufacturing tolerance.  You've got the hand crank hole at 1/2" from the bottom though.  Mine are 1 1/2".

Bumper length isn't consistent though.  The '46 is 46 1/8", the '47 is 46 1/4".  But since the bumper is not a precision part, I'd bet the design spec called for 46", and manufacturing was just a bit sloppy.

I would expect the bolt holes to be symmetrical around center line, so your distances between outer front holes and weight mount holes (10 5/8" vs 10 7/8") would be accounted for if they flipped a too-long bumper around when punching those holes.

You've got one dimension I didn't think to check: front mounting hole vertical offset.  I just presumed it would be symmetrical top to bottom.

It may be worth noting that some dimensions should be referenced from inside the channel, since a) it has to fit over the gussets, and b) the steel gauge changed thickness.

So another one is the top & bottom lip mounting holes are set back 3/4" from the inner face of the channel.

The '46 bumper is made from .155" steel, the '47 is made from .125" steel.  The difference is quite noticeable when I pick them up!

Sean

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2007 at 5:39pm
No, no, no...you guys ain't gonna sucker ME like this! <g> _I_ am NOT beoming the "drawing guru" on this page! <g> Tha't Sean's baliwick. I just felt kinda bad, always badgering HIM to measure this, or draw that, so I thought that for once...maybe I'd contribute a little bit...and the best part? It's working!

What I'm now getting is some accurate information (Thanks everybody, for that!), and I'll revise the drawing to reflect those corrections. Actually, being in the construction industry, I'm accustomed to things that are built "close enough" in most instances, so my measurements were, for the most part, done with that same mindset. The bumper that I was measuring is actually "curved" across its entire length, so even getting that dimension "close" was something of an act of faith! <g> ("Hmmmm...it _looks_ like it oughta be about...") To a machinist, or a mechanical engineer, those measurements would be much more precise, and I had hoped that by putting them out there, right or wrong, that you guys with better examples would pick up a tape, or a ruler, and go check mine against what you've got, and let me know. Then we'll possibly wind up with a REAL dimensioned drawing for the bumper!

As for the "off-center" location of those holes Sean, I wondered the same thing...and did double-check. I measured things by checking from both ends, rather than from just one side, the way a lot of folks seem to do (and always from the left, it seems!). I think it tends to negate an error if one side has been "modified" in any fashion (manufacturing, repairs, etc.)

And BTW, the hand crank hole IS 1.5" above the bottom...you just missed the 1" portion of that dimension I think, because the number ended up "merging" with the dotted line. My bad, and I should have seen that...but that's why I made sure to mark it "Preliminary"! Didn't want anybody, 5 years from now, running acrtoss that drawing, and taking it for "gospel"! <g>

I'll correct those numbers later today, and re-post it (since I can't edit a post on this version of the forum s/w)...and if you guys spot any other differeneces, please...let me know!
Seeya!

<Jack>

Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov. 2007 at 6:12pm
OK...here's a revised (but still preliminary!) drawing: And I've corrected a couple of dimensions, revised a note or two, but the dimensions between the two pair of frame-mount points and the ag-weight (or fairlead-mounting) holes remains in question. I'd appreciate it if several of you would try to check your own bumpers, measuring both from each end to these holes, and from the frame-mount holes to the ag-weight holes without concern for where they lie, relative to the ends of the bumper. I suspect that that's where the discrepancy lies. After all, the frame was more important to have matched, and if the ends were off by a fraction, it was probably "within tolerance". (And I keep forgetting to note the angle on the bumper end, but mine measure 45 degrees!)

Seeya!

<Jack>

TexBillHS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexBillHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 2:07am
I just got one from Debella  - said it was for WWII and CJ2A - it is half the weight of the original.  Think it will have to go back.  My original has a little curve and a twist.  I think it can get the curve out, but I am not sure about the twist
Old Guy
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2014 at 12:43am
Walck's has a good heavy replacement front bumper and it is Made In USA.
I have one on my Gray Mule.

Edited by 3-48s - 05 Aug. 2014 at 3:50am
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2014 at 3:40am
Wow, there's a blast from the past.......RIP Jack..

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12