Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A VS CJ3B Frame

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
RJK_OC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJK_OC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A VS CJ3B Frame
    Posted: 12 July 2018 at 4:12pm
that's helpful. As I progress with this I will share what I end up running into and share with the forum.  It sounds like this will be pretty easy with some achievable modifications.  
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by RJK_OC RJK_OC wrote:

Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

I used a 3B frame on my build, if you want to check it out. 

That would be great, can you point me to some pics / info?  

Build thread:

I found a few minor differences - mostly related to the front sheet metal. The tub will bolt right up. If you have early 2A fenders, you will need to trim some sheetmetal around the front shock mounts. The later style mounts take up more real estate than the early sheet metal allows. late 2A and 3A fenders should fit just fine. The lower front fender skirts/tabs that mount to the frame may be different. I can't recall. But i simply trimmed those tabs off the lower part of the fender.  Next is the radiator mount. Again depending on what year grill/radiator style you have, you may need to do some work. If you have the early radiator, you'll need to add stud mounts to the front crossmember. The later style, where the radiator mounts to the grill should be fine. But I don't have direct knowledge of that. My steering column is custom. But I'm sure everything will line up properly, including pedal holes. 

hope that helps. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 3:30am
The Wheel base (80") and spring length is the same between a 2A and a 3B both changed with the CJ5 (81") and longer springs.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
RJK_OC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJK_OC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 3:05am
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

That would be great, can you point me to some pics / info?  
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 2:19am
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
RJK_OC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJK_OC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 12:55am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Body mount locations  are identical between all flatfender jeeps after MB GPW.
Other small changes did occur . 
Those minor changes will depend on the specific vintage.

M38 frames have several notable peculiarities yet they can also work very well for a CJ.

Thank you!  
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 12:37am
Body mount locations  are identical between all flatfender jeeps after MB GPW.
Other small changes did occur . 
Those minor changes will depend on the specific vintage.

M38 frames have several notable peculiarities yet they can also work very well for a CJ.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

RJK_OC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJK_OC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 8:41pm
Looking to revive this thread as it came up in a search that i was doing.  I have a similar question in that I am looking to put a 3B body on a 2A frame.  I ended up getting a great deal on a almost perfect 1947 CJ2A frame.  Someone along the way dropped in a F head into it and destroyed the original 2A body in the process.

All that said, I am thinking about putting a new 3B body on it and am looking to see if anyone knows how different the body mounting locations are from a 2A to a 3B.  Considering a repro body..

Cattrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cattrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2007 at 3:23am
Cry
I tried the search, but didn't come up with anything other than the weelbase being 1" longer....

I won't be pulling the tub off the 3B for a while so I was trying to look ahead.

Jeff Cattrell
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2007 at 2:34pm
I think you will find some repositioned body mounts, not certain about that, might be thinking of MB differences.. Tranny crossmember mounts differently, frame on 3B is more like a CJ5 frame, thicker and tougher than a 2A frame. For a daily  driver it would be a positive change.

Do a search, we have talked about this before.....and I think there were better answers. Embarrassed
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Cattrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cattrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2007 at 3:25am
What are the differences between the 2A and 3B frame..other than the front bumper?

I am thinking about putting a 2A tub on a 3B rolling chassis I have.....but I havn't looked real close at the 3B yet, anything I should know about??

Thanks,
Jeff Cattrell

Post Reply Post Reply