Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HIgh Beam Dash Light

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2019 at 2:56pm
Sean's parts list shows it after serial #32433.
BOULDER 48 2A
DonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2019 at 5:32pm
The high beam indicator should be red in color. Willlys issued a Service Department general letter dated May 8, 1946 informing Pennsylvania dealers that Headlight Upper Beam Signal Lights were required by law in Pennsylvania and a kit had been developed to retrofit vehicles without the light, part number 642543. The letter also states that the light will become standard in all production vehicles.

DonH
1946CJ2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2019 at 5:45pm
Interesting! Thanks Don. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Joe B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2019 at 8:49pm
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME PHOTOS OF THAT DASH LIGHT...………..I HAVE ONE,BUT THATS ALL I KNOW...………..I THOUGHT IT WAS A LIGHT WITH A TOGGLE SWITCH SOMEWHERE.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Joe B.
'46 CJ2A South Texas
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2019 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Joe B. Joe B. wrote:

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME PHOTOS OF THAT DASH LIGHT...………..I HAVE ONE,BUT THATS ALL I KNOW...………..I THOUGHT IT WAS A LIGHT WITH A TOGGLE SWITCH SOMEWHERE.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Joe B.

Joe,
There's a photo on the previous page of this thread. Last entry by Jaksjep. Light is circled right above the fuel gauge. 

Edited by smfulle - 08 Oct. 2019 at 8:55pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2019 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Joe B. Joe B. wrote:

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Joe B.

It seems the topic waters are muddying.....the light with the toggle switch is the instrument /gauge light.

Original topic was referring to the tiny high beam indicator light.

Just so we're on the same page.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Black Sheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2019 at 10:47pm
DonH

Thanks for that info! That may help support why a number of 46' model have no indicator light. Cool info to know
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2019 at 12:47am
 Cool info, had never checked but my earliest ‘46, serial number 24054 does not have the high beam indicating light. Never stop learning about these seemingly simple machines. It has the floor cutout for column shift but no tool indents. Had been changed to floor shift before I got it. 

One more thing to look for when trying to date a find. 

Glad to learn something new

Mike

48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2019 at 1:14am
My 48 lefty came with a red high beam indicator light. Seems original to me.
Black Sheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2019 at 3:15am
Mike
My 46’  #23665 has no indicator light nor tool indents. It also has a chain driven engine. I have found a gap in the numbers that show some jeeps with tool indents after this number. There are theories and true documents about this occurrence but I’m still in the learning process of this history and not able to differ between facts and maybes. But it has been a cool and very entertaining to chase this 46’ model.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2019 at 1:34pm
This is a picture of a fairly original 46' (18,xxx) I just looked at... Not sure if it is factory? My 48' has the red indicator light located above the fuel gauge.

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Joe B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2019 at 1:36am
HEY AGAIN
I GUESS I HAVE THE DASH LIGHT JUST ABOVE THE SPEEDOMETER.
IS THERE SUPPOSED TO BE A TOGGLE SWITCH FOR THIS?

THANKS IN ADVANCE...…….. I HOPE THIS SHOWS UP

Joe B.
'46 CJ2A South Texas
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2019 at 2:29am
Joe,
On my '47 it is directly below the circled area ggordon's picture just before your post. Right on the underside lip of the dash. I believe later models had it integrated into the headlight switch.

I purchased a replacement but a few minutes of disassembly and cleaning the original brought her back to life.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2019 at 1:53am
My jeep, #13396, has a red high beam indicator light installed in the same position as the indicator light pictured above in jeep #18xxx.

Additional info ... 

I talked to a guy whose Dad was a Willys dealer “back in the day” (in NJ), and he was surprised to see an indicator light (he called it a tell tale light) on the dash of my jeep. He said that it was dealer installed equipment, and he believed it to be the original light.  

Based on my conversation with him, I think it was dealer added depending on whether or not the state where the jeep was sold required a high beam indicator light. 

So, the indicator light wasn’t standard equipment from the factory, but parts were supplied to dealers to comply with local law. 

That’s how I understand it, and that may explain why some early 2As have a light n others don’t.  

Also, since the light was dealer installed, that may explain the variety of locations for the light on the dash ... it ended up where ever the dealer installed it. 

That’s my 2 cents .... hope it adds to the discussion. 
chris

2A #13396
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2019 at 2:20am
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12