Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good site?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good site?
    Posted: 22 Dec. 2005 at 11:00pm
I have a couple of generators in my pile, What is correct for a early 2a? Where can I find numbers for these items like, starter, generator, distributor for each year? Am I asking too much? Is there a common site for a given serial  or part # for that year vehicle? I'm talking about specifec #'s for Auto-lite or delco #'s  Am I dreaming?
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2005 at 6:33am
I have GDZ 4817 for 6v CJ2A
GEG 5101D (Correct for an MB) may have been used for the very early ones. I am sure we will hear more opinions. I will add the results to the site.

Russ

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2005 at 8:54am
Gary:

Finding all the correct Autolite numbers is a matter of getting hold of a few manuals.

The original Willys "Popular Parts List", and the '45 Maintenance manuals have the best numbers, and an Autolite Service Manual for the time period has lots of good numbers too.

CJ2A were only delivered w/GDZ-4817 generators and MZ-4113 starters.  Standard distributor was IGW-4177A, dustproof was IAD-4008.

After 1949, if you went in to buy replacement parts, you would have been given different parts (those currently in use for CJ3As).

Sean
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2005 at 7:17pm

Sean, You are right. I probably need to buck up and get the right manuels. I never had any motivation to be "Correct" in the past and now that I have to be, I need to be more specific in the manual. Can't keep asking for info that I should have. What maneuls would you recommend? My Jeeps span from #10021 to #58500.

PS;  It still would be useful to have the Autolite and Delco-Remy #'s for ALL their uses on all the different Willys products. Dreaming?

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2005 at 9:24pm
I have an excel spread sheet I started with 6v and 12v gens for jeeps from MB to the CJ-6. I will be adding it to the site soon.

Russ

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2005 at 9:31pm

Russ,         

Great work!

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2005 at 9:28am
Gary:

I'm on the road for the holidays, so don't have access to my manuals right now.  When I get home (@ the 28th-29th), I will post more numbers.  The ones I mentioned above are just those that I've memorized.

Willys "standard parts lists" are totally useless for electrical information.  Those manuals refer you to the OEM maufacturers manuals.

With sn/10021 I would say get the '45 Maintenance manual.  It has all the early info that later manuals don't.  Willys "popular parts list" covers from '46 thru '51, and has both Autolite and Delco numbers, although a few of the earliest numbers aren't listed.

Having both the '45 and '47 standards parts lists is real handy for seeing what actually changed in the early years.

The '65 CJ2A-CJ6 "service manual", published by Kaiser, lists both Autolite and Delco numbers, but only the most current ones.  Older parts which have been superceeded are not alwyas listed.

An Autolite service manual covering whatever years you're interested in is the most comprehensive for Autolite parts, and same for Delco.

Unfortunately, these is no such thing as "one manual that has it all".

There is a copy of the popular parts list online:

Parts List of Popular Parts

Sean

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2005 at 9:34am

Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

Gary:

There is a copy of the popular parts list online:

Parts List of Popular Parts

Sean

I went to the link, and there is a nice copy of the index.. Is the rest of the manual online? If so, how do you access it? I hit "NEXT" at the top of the screen and got something totally unrelated..

Edited by F Bill - 24 Dec. 2005 at 9:35am
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2005 at 10:07am
Quote Is the rest of the manual online?

Right there.  Just click each index subject.

Sean

Edited by sean - 24 Dec. 2005 at 10:12am
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2005 at 10:12am
THANKS! BOY DO I FEEL STOOOOPID!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2005 at 10:16am
The page doesn't make it intuitive that those are links, so don't fell too bad.  I remember thinking the same thing when I first found it!

S.
jydresto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jydresto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 1:30am
hi gang-
I pulled the 4 small screws off the rear of the generator. When the small cover came off, there was a lot rust in that cavity. Should oil be in that area?
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 2:19am
Originally posted by jydresto jydresto wrote:

hi gang-
I pulled the 4 small screws off the rear of the generator. When the small cover came off, there was a lot rust in that cavity. Should oil be in that area?

No, just some in the bushing. Do you still have the dust shield around the brushings?
uncamonkey
jydresto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jydresto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 2:27am
well, i have a long thin sheet metal belt that covers the holes where the brushes are. I guess that is the dust shield? 
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 2:47am
Yep, that is the dust shield. it sounds like somebody was fairly sloppy about adding oil to the engine.
uncamonkey
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 3:12pm
There is also a band of thick "paper" or gasket material under the metal band.
BOULDER 48 2A
 Post Reply Post Reply