Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Special Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Bows (Update)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CW48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2008 at 2:32pm
For a very good site on the Top Bows check out www.nulltime.com/jeep. Also take a look at the CJ-3A site.
Happiness is a Southbend Lathe
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2008 at 11:59pm
Yeah, that's Sean's website.
1946 #27869

Take a look at my webpage:

<a href="http://wyowillys46.awardspace.com">Wyowillys46</a>
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2008 at 12:16am
  SEAN  WHO ???????Wink

I know who it is...very imformative and precise..Thats why I say this is the best site on the internet for information and  all the talent that is wrapped up on here....
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
del clear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote del clear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2008 at 2:12am
I have a complete set of top bows which I have good reason to believe are originals.  I am only missing the short bar that runs longitudinally from the wind shield to the first bracket behind the front seats.  If any of you need measurements, pictures, etc., let me know, and I'll do my best to get information to you.  I also have the rotted original canvas, complete with window frames in the door panels.  My jeep is/was the version with the socket sticking into the entry cut-out right where a farmer would catch his galoushes on it.  Consequently the door frame front rod is a bit short.

I need the two sockets--we talked a lot about them a year or so ago, but the project seems to have died.  Anyone making them or know of a source?  Gary?

del clear

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2008 at 2:20am
del, do your 4 vertical bows have the pins at the top, or are they "notched"? we bought a parts vehicle last fall from the 2nd owner, and received a partial set of boes, and the gent claimed they came new with the 2A, and mine are notched, no pins....low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2008 at 2:38am
Del:

I have Garys socket right now.  It is a very convoluted one-piece compound stamping.  I don't have the skill or the means to reproduce it exactly, and I suspect a commercial fab shop would charge quite a lot to even attempt it.

I haven't given up noodling about how it might be done easily though, and I will get an accurate engineering drawing at the very least.

Sean
mrkringles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrkringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2008 at 2:19pm
Wow, take a look at this set of orginal top bows on ebay.....and there is still over 5 days of bidding to go!   I think I'll wait for John's new sets.

John
1946 CJ2a (Finished)
1953 Willys Truck (Finished)1954 M38a1 (In progress)
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2008 at 11:49pm
  I will bet the sellar is happy !!!!!!Smile
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2008 at 12:00am
i bet the bidder is too...
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2008 at 12:27am
Getting close to the price of a corn flake!! LOL
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
del clear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote del clear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2008 at 4:11am
Low--

Sorry for the delay--but I have "forgotten" to check this thread, and I have not been getting automatic notices about the replies herein.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but my 4 vertical posts are off-set on the bottom end where they go into the body pockets, and then curved 90 degrees on the top where the roof cross-bow is inserted.  The "stops" in the vertical pieces are in the horozontal section that results from the 90 degree bend, and are simply smallish v-shaped punches that forces a little tab of metal into the tube so the cross-member will not jam into the curve and get stuck.  I see nothing that looks like a pin or a cut-out notch.

Let me know if this is not what you want to know.
del clear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote del clear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2008 at 4:22am
Sean---

Yeah, I have seen a couple of these and know about the compound curve in the base plate.  I was wondering if one could fabricate them with two separate pieces then weld them together.  Seems like a "C" shaped curve butt welded to a flat side tab cut to fit the curve could be saccomplished then the hinge hole part spot welded to that, making a socket for the door frame rod to sit in.  I agree that the "shaped" curve made out of one piece of steel puts a real crimp on the home-shop's capabiity to make that bend.  It is possible that a "welding" solution would require heavier gauge metal, but maybe that isn't all bad, since the originals were quite light and flimsy. 

My thinking is that if one were to make them all mount below the lip of the cutout and extending the door hinge rod to compensate accordingly would be the way to go.  I cant believe that the 46 model which stuck up into the pathway of your overshoes was EVER a good idea.

When I saw "doug's" prototype in Missouri last year--at least I think that is when/where I saw it--maybe it was just a picture I saw--it seemed he was quite close, even with that compound bend.  Too bad he hasn't followed thru.  Maybe WFB could drive Lefty up and see what's happening.  No where in Iowa is very from anywhere else.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2008 at 3:54pm
Del:
Quote I was wondering if one could fabricate them with two separate pieces then weld them together.
That's the only alternative to on-piece stamping.

I've been thinking about it, and it's a trade-off:
  1. have a one-piece stamping die made - very expensive
  2. make 2 simple pieces, align, weld, grind, smooth - very labor intensive & time consuming (ie, expensive)
Still thinking

Sean
del clear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote del clear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2008 at 6:13pm

Sean

It feels good to be back in the loop again--Just heard that my neighbor up the streed died last night, so now here I am back in a funk over mortality.  My social life is good, however, and that keeps me going.

On the hinge brackets.  Look at it this way?

There-s probably not a large market, in any event--so some inefficiency in hand-based manufacturing might be justified by the  high costs of sophisticated machined production tools, which depend on volume to amortize their high initial costs.

I "sort" of tried to make the pieces one day and the curved plate was relatively easy.  One could easily fabricate a home-made die of hard wood, even, and make a bunch of the crescents in a vise, since that's not too much of a curve.  Cutting out the flat-plate would be realtively easy, even if sawed by hand on a sabre-saw or similar setup, and free handed.  If that crescent were made of a little heavier metal--say like a hinge rather than thinner sheet-metal, it would be pretty fast if a guy set up a jig for a good welder to stick that crescent butt  up against the plate and weld-away.  Grinding could be held to a minimum, or left to the purchaser to complete.  I'm obviously NOT the welder to do this, but I've seen some pretty good, neat welding that would look OK.  A good welder might be able to saturate the market in one day of welding if the component parts were all there.  After this step, securing the socket assy to the backing plate would seem really easy--either spot-weld them together or, tack weld them, or, even let the four bolts that hold the whole thing to the tub hold it together.  Maybe the purchaser could gorilla glue or super glue them together before tightening down.  Seems like they might be feasable in the 25-50 dollar range, and the schmuck doing them would at least see some spare change for his "trouble" even tho it would be primarily a labor of love and service to the greater gods of jeepdom than the an offering to the sleaze bags in the banking industry.  OTOH Maybe one could get a reverse mortgage with variable interest rates on the equity in the home to purchase the 40,000 worth of tooling to do this right.

Again, good to be back thinking CJ2A again.  Have any leads on good, servicable springs.  I want to replace all of mine--to straighten things up--and cant locate a source of good replacements.  I suppose I should cast the net wide and see what happens.

del
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2008 at 3:01pm
Hey Del

Good to see you back posting again. I've missed your input and insight to life and Jeeps. With spring on the way if you get out West be sure to drop in for a visit. Glad things are going well for you. Ones golden years should be enjoyable.

As to your comment about things being close here across the river. Remember Iowa is the largest state in the union....... Or am I wrong again?

WFB the geographer  
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2008 at 4:46pm
Quote: "Remember Iowa is the largest state in the union....... Or am I wrong again?"

Before you're trounced by all them guys in Texas and AK, not to mention about half of the other states (!), lemme just say that it probably SEEMS that way! <g>
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2008 at 6:03pm
Shocked Hello What?   Hoot Mon!

Well I think we have Rhode Island beat anyway. Wink
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
del clear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote del clear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2008 at 6:47pm
Drive across Iowa on I-80 on a humid late August day around hog feeding/eating/defecating time, which seems to be 24-7, and you'll THINK it's the biggest state in the union.  As you try to hold your breath till you get thru it, the state grows and grows and grows.  Only thing that approaches it is a six mile long cattle feed lot in West Texas/Southern New Mexico/SE Arizona.  Puts a whole dimension on getting immersed in the local atmosphere.  Enough to make a vegetarian out of a fellow.  OTOH, cattle and hogs are vegans, so that might not help.

I wonder if WFB remembers reading somewhere that methane gas has a deleterious effect on the memory, good judgement, and overall social and political correctability?
del clear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>