Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Auction Listings / Classified Ads/ Jeeps for Sale Sightings!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946 column shift on ebay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98tj4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1946 column shift on ebay
    Posted: 13 May 2008 at 4:31pm
search ebay motors, cars and trucks, willys, newly listed, and there it is. If i only had the money, it is right down the street from me.

can't get link up, anyone help?

Edited by 98tj4 - 13 May 2008 at 4:32pm
Is that where that goes?

98 TJ wrecked
08 sahara
47 CJ2a #128849
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 5:04pm
You mean this one?

1946 Col Shift

Located in Salt Lake City. Wonder what the reserve is?
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
98tj4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98tj4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 11:23pm
that is the one, thanks!
Is that where that goes?

98 TJ wrecked
08 sahara
47 CJ2a #128849
healey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote healey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 2:38am

I noticed it hasn't got the shovel/axe indents.  Per Harold West's History Section the "MB* style ax and shovel indents under the driver’s doorway (up to about # 29500)"  The VIN on this 46 is 25276, so it seems like is should ...but I know...never say always or never when it comes to this stuff....Oh, also it's missing the bow pockets on left side.

This is a very solid looking jeep, though.  I noticed there appears to be a spot for a pto lever between the seats.  I love all the tail lights on the back!  I wonder what he'll be asking for the counter weight he plans to sell separately(?)

Someone should be happy with this one, wish it were me!!! 

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 2:43pm
Regarding tool indents:

I believe the actual transition occurred at an earlier VIN than Harolds' data indicates.  I've remarked on this before and have collected data which corroborates it.  It's more likely that Harold had info indicating that VIN @ 29500 had indents, so it was presumed that all prior vehicles also had indents.

That presumption is not binding, since we already know that Willys did not use tubs in the same order they received them from ACM.  Valid matching would be between indents and ACM number, not VIN number.

Data I have so far, for VIN numbers:
  • # 22666      has indents
  • # 24668      no   indents
  • # 25882      no   indents
  • # 26236      no   indents
  • # 27575      no   indents
  • # 28302      has indents
  • # 28367      no   indents
  • # 28506      no   indents
  • # 28592      no   indents
  • # 28921      no   indents    ACM 18751
  • ------- current accepted division, @29500 --------
  • # 33225      no   indents
  • # 35291      no   indents
  • # 36834      has indents    ACM 12275
Everything prior to VIN 22666 has indents.  Most everything afterwards does not.  Based on this, I conclude that the indents were eliminated from Willys production after approx. VIN 22668, but as you can see, VIN # is NOT an absolute indicator.  It's likely that there were eliminated by ACM shortly after approx. ACM # 126xx.

The most telling is the last one, VIN 36834, which does have indents.  But it also carries ACM # 12275, which shows it was an early production tub, which didn't get used until much later than normal on the assembly line.  It was special tub, which was sent out for additional body work, to accommodate a built-in generator, or welder.  By the time it returned to Willys, and got back on the assembly line, VIN numbers had marched on the the 36xxx range.

Harolds #29500 was likely one of those that, for whatever reason, didn't get used until somewhat later in the assembly process.

Sean

Edited by sean - 09 June 2008 at 4:12pm
lurch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 3:18pm
Here's another data bit:  I have 33XXX with indents. Sorry I can't recall the whole number.  This jeep has no special mods. Maybe a shipment of tubs got delayed and delivered after non-indented tubs started being used.

What is the actual time difference between #22K & 36K?  Probably 8 weeks? There were steel shortages and pent up demand for vehicles and WIllys probably used whatever was on hand at the time 
old iron
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 4:20pm
Hey Lurch, when you get to reading the whole VIN number, can you get the ACM # too, and let me know please?  I'll add it to my list.

Sean

Edited by sean - 14 May 2008 at 4:22pm
healey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote healey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 11:50pm
One thing that might complicate this even more is what number is used for the VIN.  In Wisconsin, I've seen the engine serial number used for the VIN and on other registrations I've seen the body serial number used for the VIN.  I think the engine serial number is higher than the body serial number on a "matching numbers" jeep since there were more engines made than tubs.  Could the variation we're observing in the indent/no indent VIN number be due in part to what was used for the VIN?
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by healey healey wrote:

... Could the variation we're observing in the indent/no indent VIN number be due in part to what was used for the VIN?
When I say "VIN", I don't mean what's written on a piece of paper.  I'm talking about the frame/tub "serial number".  "VIN" is just easier to type. Wink  I put absolutely NO stock in what paperwork says.  Only the stamped numbers count.

This is too early in production for engine numbers to be that much greater than frame/tub number.  Engine numbers at this time would only be in the range of 4-500 greater.

Sean

healey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote healey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 12:36am
Makes sense!  I like the way the indents look.  My "old" 46 had them.  My "new" 46 does not.
Katzmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katzmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 4:48pm
Just to continue the "indents" line... My 2a has number 25882 and no indents. But they might Confused has gone in a former resto... Cry 
I'm going to CA this summer. Do some of you know where to look for some Jeep stuff shops Cool We have no special plan for ouer trip around CA, so if you can come up with some nice adresses Clap I will be happy Thumbs%20Up
CJ2A 1946 Nr. 25882
Polynorm 1953
XJ 4.0L Limited 1990

Denmark
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Katzmad Katzmad wrote:

Just to continue the "indents" line... My 2a has number 25882 and no indents.
Cool.  Can you get the tub ACM number off the gusset?

Sean
Katzmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katzmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 6:50pm
Embarrassed Hmmm  i'm not sure where to look... Are you talking about ingine number?
Gusset????
That word is not in my Danish book... Ouch
CJ2A 1946 Nr. 25882
Polynorm 1953
XJ 4.0L Limited 1990

Denmark
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 8:46pm
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2008 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Katzmad Katzmad wrote:

Embarrassed Hmmm  i'm not sure where to look... Are you talking about ingine number?
Gusset????
No, it's not the engine number.  It is stamped into the body sheet metal by the body manufacturer, "ACM".  It will be approx. 10000 less than your serial number.

See the link bkreutz posted above:
http://www.cj-2a.com/oldsite/techtips/CJ2A_ID/index.html
The lower right corner of the second photo shows where it's stamped:

Sean

Katzmad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katzmad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2008 at 6:22pm
Tak for informationen! = Thanks for the information!  It's nice to learn more...
When I got the Jeep, it was in boxes, and the tub was gone. But from old pictures of the Jeep, all are without indents.
I'm still working to get it as close to original as possible here in Denmark. It's a loooong way to US for spareparts... Last summer I got a new canvas top and some other stuff, and next month we go for some more. So if one of you can come up with som nice Jeep stuff adresses in CA...
I have som pictures of my 2a:

CJ2A 1946 Nr. 25882
Polynorm 1953
XJ 4.0L Limited 1990

Denmark
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2008 at 8:06pm
NICE-LOOKING, Martin!

I find it hard to imagine how much time and effort must go into doing something like this, given the distance (and added expense!), and considering that you started with it in boxes. Very impressive. You must now really be looking for the minutiae! Congratulations!

Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
 Post Reply Post Reply