Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

original engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jydresto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 6:33am
im looking for a rather large shell or mortar (diffused please) to make as a gas tank for my civilian paratropper cushman scooter.  Big enough to hold about a gallon and a half of gas....can u guys point me in the right direction. Maybe a germman .88?
A
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 8:19am
OK, careful with the musket ball jokes.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

An Uberti made Model 1885 Hi Wall in 45-70 with the pistol grip stock and Double set triggers is the top of my lust list. I'll do both long range sights and a Malcolm 6X Brass scope.

here is my show off

A c1905 Winchester Model 1895 Deluxe Rifle (28" barrel) High grade wood (no checkering) in 30 Gov. (also known as 30-40 Krag) with the uber desirable Lyman #21 receiver mounted peep sight. Dad bought it in 1968 at a gun show while I stood next to him. Its one of my most prized possessions.

I started to lick the screen when I saw that!, real engineering.

I just have to go and fondle my old Sako....
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
jydresto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jydresto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 12:30am
maybe this is a long shot but attached is my serial numbered block. The stamping is a bit crude- the W in GPW looks as if it was added later. By chance is this one of the buybacks? I understand they are rare.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 5:15am
Not seeing an attachment.  I would like to see it if you can post the photo.

That said, if your block has a GPW prefix in front of the serial number, it is NOT a buyback engine.  It is a GPW engine removed from a GPW and installed in your 2A.  

If you have an interest in selling it, it would be far more valuable to a GPW guy than any buyback engine.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
jydresto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jydresto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 5:43am
thank u- it does have the prefix Gpw on the block. Not sure why the file didnt attach. The w looked a little funny that is why i wondered.  Case solved.
With that said- were Gpw engines easy to find after the war? I i thought Ford stopped production.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2017 at 7:14am
Ford did stop production, and Willys stopped production of MB's. But up until the end of the war, both were building jeeps as fast as they could. When the war ended, the contracts were cancelled, and production stopped. (I've often wondered, did the one that had just started down the line, continue on?) But you can be sure that there were a LOT of engines, as well as every other part of a jeep, ready and waiting to go onto the assembly line at that time. Ford and Willys were not only supplying jeeps, they were also supplying all manner of service replacement parts. There are pictures of engine assembly rooms, test facilities, and storage facilities packed with engines. When production stopped, there were lots and lots of parts already made and ready for the line or to be shipped to using units, that were no longer needed. This is but one small example.
  Whether Willys got any Ford engines in the buy-back program, I don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that Willys was not about to install a Ford engine in a jeep on their assembly line. I'd bet that Ford buy-back engines were sold to outlets like Sears, Montgomery Ward, Western Auto, etc.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 1:56am
Is that 'W' actually a 'curved W'?  That may be why it looks crude.  Somewhere there is a picture of a 'curved W' serial number, but I don't recall where.  The engine in my 2A is a Wilson Foundry 'curved W' GPW block.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 2:19am
Does the serial number look like this?

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
jydresto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jydresto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 2:38am
yes- my cj-2a looks the same as the engine you posted. I have the Ford ‘F’ on the cylinder head and the ‘w’ on a curve- and no stars on the serial number. Thank you all- question answered. Can one of you now point me in the direction where i can get the year the engine was produced based on the serial number? If you re interested to know, the serial number is GPW-I24772
Thanks again,
John
Phoenixville, pa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 3:16am
From "All-American Wonder", vol. II pg. 188, that engine was used in a GPW built on either June 28 or 29 1943.  The engine would have been produced some time before that.
jydresto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jydresto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 3:47am
thanks ol’reliable
jydresto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jydresto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 5:47am
my guess is that it ended up on an army base, never went to the japenese or european theatre of the war and was later sold to the public- where the engine was pulled and put in my ‘47
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 6:12am
In 1963 I purchased a 1947 CJ2A.  I know nothing of its history.  It had a head on it with script Ford in an oval to the passenger side close to #3 and #4 spark plugs.  Really to bad that I sold that Jeep in 1970.  I would like to have more numbers to add to this discussion.     
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2017 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

From "All-American Wonder", vol. II pg. 188, that engine was used in a GPW built on either June 28 or 29 1943.  The engine would have been produced some time before that.

Wow.  Didn't know we could be so specific.  Nice info.

Jydresto,  Some here (Bruce W and others) and some at the G503 site would probably love to get their hands on that motor.  Especially if she's a good runner.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2017 at 4:39am
Now that I think of it, I shouldn't say the jeep was "built" on a certain date; rather, I should say it was "accepted" on that date.  The government inspector would have decided if it could be accepted or not and it might have had to go back for rework.  I don't know if or how one could tell if it needed rework.

BTW, the engine in Ol' Unreliable runs very well for one used in an October '43 GPW.  I'd think about trading it for a newer Go-Devil that runs as well.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 09 Dec. 2017 at 4:43am
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2017 at 4:47am
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Wow.  Didn't know we could be so specific.  Nice info.

Jydresto,  Some here (Bruce W and others) and some at the G503 site would probably love to get their hands on that motor.  Especially if she's a good runner.

Thanks for the plug Tim, but I have two GPW engines now. I think I'm good for the time bein'. Thumbs Up  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cowboy64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 10:35pm
since i'm not the first to get off topic !! Lol..i just found a GPW #73715...unfortunantly she has crack about 2" below dist.....salvage or boat anchor ??
mam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>