Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Filter Canisters - again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rufus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Filter Canisters - again
    Posted: 09 June 2008 at 5:51pm

Greetings,

I'm a new member to the group but have already done a lot of research here.  There seems to have been quite a bit of discussion about oil filter assemblies in the past and I'm not trying to resurrect a horse that's been beat to death but I've had a hard time trying to pin down the correct (or close) unit for my jeep.  Apparently, 3 or 4 different units were used on the 2As and I finally settled on what I think is a Fram F4-18P2 (4-3/8" ID, mounting tabs welded on, traces of orange paint visible under multiple coats of other paint).  A Wix No. 51006 cartridge fits in it and, according to their website, this corresponds to a Fram C-4P2 cartridge.

I'm in the process of restoring it and my question at this point is in regard to the decals.  Some earlier discussions talked about the different sets used on the various canisters and the availability of these sets.  I think that the ones that I need are DZ49 or DZ50 in the photograph shown in this post:

I read that there was "a guy on eBay" who sells them (and sure enough, there is) but I also read that some members were having some made that were better.  Has this happened? Are they available? If not, are the ones on eBay any good? Also, how do you determine whether to use the DZ49 or the DZ50 style? I've already made one blunder with this so I want to get it right this time.  I would be glad to learn anything about this if anyone can help me.
1948 CJ2A No. 211507
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2008 at 7:57pm
Hey Rufus!...and WELCOME to the Page!!!!

Hey, if you're in Tally, I'm only about 60 miles away (used to work over there), so we should see about getting together sometime! (Maybe even start our OWN "JeepJamboree"! <g>)

I also want to commend you for obviously having already done a lot of reading on this page! It's pretty informative, no? I wish that I could give you an answer to the question about the decals, but I know that there are some folks around here who can, and will...although I'm also not sure just how certain they can be either!

Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
Rufus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rufus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 6:09pm
Hey Jack! . . . Glad to hear from a local!  I actually live in Wacissa (a little village south of Monticello) but I work in Tallahassee and most people never heard of Wacissa.  I like your ideas and I would like to see those '48s of yours for comparison.  If you ever thought about getting one of the old 1/4-ton trailers for your jeep but weren't sure which one to get then you'll want to come on down to my place - I've got one of every kind that you could look at.

Yes, I've done a lot of reading (lurking) on this web site (and G503 and the 3A Page and the 3B Page) but I still can't find a clear and concise list of the oil filter units and which ones were used with which Serial Nos. and photographs of correctly restored units to use for reference.  GaryArf did a good job of showing photographs of the various units that he has seen on 2As but they aren't painted and don't have any decals on them.  I finally decided on this unit (I don't have permission to pictures in so follow the link):

I have seen pictures of other 48 CJ2As with this one and I don't like the kind that has the bands that hold it on to the bracket.  I've sand blasted, acid washed, primed and painted it (orange with black top) and now I just need to find the right decal set.  I hope somebody can help me out here 'cause I'm ready to get my jeep back on the road!
1948 CJ2A No. 211507
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 7:19pm
Heheh..yep, I used to drive through Wacissa twice a day, every weekday, on my way to/from Tally! ...and I didn't know that ANYbody actually LIVED in Wacissa! <g> (Just kidding!...but it IS even smaller than Quitman! <g>)

I understand what you mean about the confusion over oil filters/canisters...but to tell the truth, I'm not sure just how much it CAN be narrowed down. One of my '48s had one on it, and I presume that it's original, but the other one came without one, and my solution was to buy a repro from Walck's. I've still got the decals from that, since the general thinking on this Page seems to be that they're not _quite_ correct. I know that there's been a lot of discussion from time to time about the various decals, but I've never seen a real resolution, or a good supplier. Maybe somebody else around here will chime in with some more definitive answers!

As for your pics, you say that you don't have "permission" to post 'em, but I suspect that you mean that you have yet to figure out the roundabout methods that this system uses for the posting of them. I've been successful in doing so, but I gotta tell you...it ain't simple! <g>

I'll send you a PM, and then we can "chat" outside the thread, and not take up everybody's bandwidth!

Seeya!

<Jack>

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 7:53pm
Rufus,
    If you have a parts list (I'm using the'49 version). There's a shadowy drawing of your type of oil filter and it has a hint of decals that can be seen, nothing clear, but the shapes and placement are visible (page 27).
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
klevan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klevan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 9:38pm
I got mine from Willys Works in Tucson:
520-888-5082

Ken Levan
1946 CJ2A #75863
ALbuquerque
Rufus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rufus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 4:11am

Got your PM Jack; we'll chat!

Gale,

I do have a copy of the '49 Parts List and noticed the faint shadow of the decals but, as you pointed out, it is not clear. However, it does seem to support the decal sets that I referenced in my earlier post but I just can't make out the details. Thanks!

Ken,

I've never dealt with Willys Works . . . maybe I need to give them a try once I figure out which set to get. You have the MB style canister so, as far as I can tell, it would take a different set of decals than mine. That looks like an MB air cleaner too (instructions stamped into the sheet metal rather than a decal). That is one good looking jeep you have there; very nice! What kind of tires are those? I have only been able to find NDTs and NDCCs in 7.00x16s. I like the looks of of yours.

1948 CJ2A No. 211507
Rufus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rufus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 5:13am
Well there must be some CJ Synergy going on here. I just discovered a post in the Projects forum by Special_Purpose who is as new to the group as I am and provided a link to photos of his 1948 cj2a #203968 and one of them squarely nailed my question:

Wow, what a piece of luck! This decal would be the DZ49 in the examples that have been referenced.  Now all I have to do is find a vendor that sells this one.

SP: I don't know if you'll ever see this but I hope you don't mind my making reference to you or your photos.  You just solved a riddle that I have been pondering for months and for that I heartily thank you!
1948 CJ2A No. 211507
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 5:33pm
Rufus: I got a set of 6.00 x 16 NDTs from Kaiser Willys, in Andersonville, SC...here's the URL:

Kaiser Willys

And if we ever get together, you can take a look at them here, first, if you'd prefer. I've got 'em mounted on a good set of rims, but not yet on a Jeep (saving them for Junebug)...

Seeya!

<Jack>

Brachus12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brachus12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 5:58pm
I thought they were in Aiken? I havent dealt with them yet. A little too far to drive to avoid shipping costs and I'd get stuck with the SC sales tax too.

Brachus
47 CJ2A #101361 "Bugger"
42 GPW 75248
SPEN Trailer
62 M170 13758

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/brachus/Willys
Rufus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rufus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 6:18pm
I don't remember if it is Aiken or Anderson but I have dealt with Kaiser in the past and had very good experiences with them.  I would say that they are on par with Walcks and I always check their price on a part before ordering anything.  If you can avoid the tax/shipping double-jeopardy thing I would recommend them.
1948 CJ2A No. 211507
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 6:43pm
Yeah, now that I think about it, I think it is Aiken. Hey! They're ALL alike t' me! <g> (And when I married whatshername, I made her write it down...but I done fergot where I put the blessed piece o' paper!)

I drove up there on a trip.! That way, I didn't have the shipping or the tax!
Seeya!

<Jack>

Rufus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rufus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 3:34pm
Well, for those of you who may be interested, here is the short story in pictures:

Used oil filter canister that I got from Russell Deese Jeeps.  I went with this type because it does appear on 1948 models and in the 1949 parts book.  I could have gotten a larger or smaller one with the straps but I like the simplicity of the welded-on mounting tabs. I also got the mounting bracket with the special clips and screws. A little wet sanding revealed the layers coating it: OD, black, primer, blue, orange (original color) and then plenty of rust!

Sand blasted, acid rinsed, primed, painted and decals applied (Thanks again for the reference photos Jus* Jack!).

I used PlastiKote engine primer and paint.  Fram orange wasn't available so I went with Chevy orange.  The decals are "stickers" that I got from a dealer on eBay.  I had heard rumors of other sources for them but this was all I could find.  I don't know how accurate they are but they seem pretty close to the original (I stopped by for a visit with Jack after he sent me the photos and saw his canister on "Turqoise" in person). I sure wish I could get the rest of the jeep to look this good . . .
1948 CJ2A No. 211507
Brachus12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brachus12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 3:56pm
Great job! Bugger has the same filter so I'm saving your photos for reference.

brachus

47 CJ2A #101361 "Bugger"
42 GPW 75248
SPEN Trailer
62 M170 13758

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/brachus/Willys
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 5:15pm
Man! If I'd known that you were gonna do THAT nice of a job, I'd have sent my old one along for you to do! <g> That really looks great Rufus!

(And for the benefit of those who haven't had the pleasure, I should pass along the fact that Rufus did "stop by"...only drove about 100 miles out of his way....to visit me last week for a few hours. This is a VERY nice guy, and is yet another great example of the kind of folks who seem to wind up as members around here!)

Now, with this part of the project out of the way, I suppose that you'll just want to go back and re-address some of the other things you've done, to match this quality? <g>

Great visiting with you, Rufus, and I hope that you managed to make amends with your wife, for having come home so late! Maybe you're still doing dishes? <g>
Seeya!

<Jack>

Rufus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rufus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2008 at 5:53pm
Thanks, guys.

Brachus, If you want the full size photos give me your email address and I'll send them to you.

Jack, I return your complements!  I really enjoyed visiting with you.  The wife had left one of our little ones with my parents for the evening so she was relatively OK. I probably lost a few Willys Points (but, as Vern says, you never really have them anyway) but it was worth it.  I'll see ya 'round!
1948 CJ2A No. 211507
Special_purpose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Special_purpose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2008 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Rufus Rufus wrote:

Well there must be some CJ Synergy going on here. I just discovered a post in the Projects forum by Special_Purpose who is as new to the group as I am and provided a link to photos of his 1948 cj2a #203968 and one of them squarely nailed my question:

Wow, what a piece of luck! This decal would be the DZ49 in the examples that have been referenced.  Now all I have to do is find a vendor that sells this one.

SP: I don't know if you'll ever see this but I hope you don't mind my making reference to you or your photos.  You just solved a riddle that I have been pondering for months and for that I heartily thank you!

I saw this the other day and forgot to comment on it.  I'm more than happy to take whatever pictures I can that may help anyone on their project.  I think my oil filter looked pretty good compared to some I've seen, and it's actually easier for me if I take pictures and then blow them up on the computer to look at them.  Much easier on these old eyes.  If you have any other areas that I might be able to help with just let me know.

by the way, very nice restoration job on the filter.

bill
48 cj2a
69 jeepster
 Post Reply Post Reply