Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Willys Photos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2020 at 7:02pm
Here is mine in 1945. Owner picked it up in 1945 at the factory. They then drove it into Canada and down to CT where they lived. I have the dealers invoice and the Capstan winch wasn't on the invoice. I asked about that and he said it was a gift and may be the 1st one with a civilian Capstan winch.

The shifter is black, you cannot tell the headlight bezel color. The rear bow bracket has two holes in it that no one knows what it is for.

Edited by Oakes - 13 Aug. 2020 at 7:27pm
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2020 at 10:26pm

It's not the best photo add but it's there.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 15 Aug. 2020 at 10:28pm
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2020 at 7:43pm
It wasn't an advertisement. Certain dignitaries of the industry were given, free, jeeps. Since there was no interstate highway systems it was a great way to have jeeps on hand that could then be brought to auto and agriculture shows in the area. 
The driver in the picture was a show producer that Willys advertised in. The show brought him to NYC for a show and Detroit. He was an engineer before he emigrated here. He used to visit the assembly lines as his heart was in engineering. They lived in CT. 
That's a picture of them in front of the Toledo OH factory. They then drove into Canada and then down to CT where they had a house. 
The second owner was a caretaker for them. He ended up with the jeep and then it was acquired by owner 3. He had the idea of restoring it but then saw my ad and I bought it on a below 0 degree day in CT. 
I found the owners son and he sent me this picture. I also have the dealers invoice which did not list the capstan winch. So I asked how that came about and he said it was also a gift that was on it when they got it. It may be the first civilian capstan winch on a civilian jeep. I have the second owners, the caretaker's, number and he said that Willys would come down and he would collect the jeeps in the area and they, collectively, would clean them up for the shows. When the shows were over they would go back to the owners. Note the picture is signed my Charlie Sorenson. 
I call the caretaker in the next few days but the number is 20 years old and he may not be with us any longer.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS
Evansjl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evansjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2020 at 11:38pm
Do you know where that photo was taken? 
Evansjl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evansjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2020 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by 3-48s 3-48s wrote:

How about this Service Station JEEP-Nice white walls!

Do you know where this photo was taken?   
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2020 at 2:27am
That was the front of the Toledo OH headquarters I was told.

Edited by Oakes - 19 Aug. 2020 at 2:29am
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2020 at 4:08am
Atlas was/is a Chevron/ Standard Oil brand. As a kid I sold Atlas batteries Tires & Accessories we got a nice commission on sales.. I worked at a Chevron co. Service station for a while.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2020 at 4:16am
The camera angle on that Toledo photo makes the 2A look enormous. The gas-station 2A with the half cab looks properly 'to scale.'
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2020 at 3:00pm
The owner was tiny. Look at the size of the steering wheel.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Oakes Oakes wrote:

It wasn't an advertisement.

I meant to say it wasn't the best photo addition, not to imply the photo was an advertisement.  Sometimes I'm too lazy for my own good.  Five more letters but I was too tired to type them?  Embarrassed 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2020 at 12:52am
The photo was professionally taken and the company was listed on the back of the photo. You can't make people that are vertically challenged tall and some overweight people would never be able to get in that front seat.
Bill M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2020 at 7:44am

Description - In this black and white photograph farmers are using a saw powered by a Jeep during a demonstration at the Cesor Farm in New Hudson, Michigan. "Jeep Day" at the farm took place July 18, 1945 to highlight civilian Jeeps and their usefulness beyond the military.

Looks like one of those CJ2 testing vehicles judging by the hood Jeep plaque.
Bill
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2020 at 2:48pm
It has an interesting grill guard.  Looks to deflect as well as filter. 
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2020 at 3:24pm
Great photo. Can't get over the lack of protection with the PTO buzz-saw accessories in that era. That enormous blade is the Wheel of Amputation, even for woodcutters who were paying attention....
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2020 at 5:16pm
  The whole story of that jeep and the others like it, as well as their chaff screens and other equipment, and that day at Cesor Farms is told in Fred Coldwell’s book, Preproduction Civilian Jeeps. You can contact Fred by PM here to get a copy. If you have any interest in the development history of the CJ2-A, you need a copy. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Great photo. Can't get over the lack of protection with the PTO buzz-saw accessories in that era. That enormous blade is the Wheel of Amputation, even for woodcutters who were paying attention....

You should see the pictures of them using jeeps to spray fields and orchards with pesticides. Let's just say there might have been a large turn-over for that job. 
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2020 at 12:20am
Bill M,

Are there any similar pictures where you got that from? As big as that day was, there don’t seem to be many photos for whatever reason. 

Thanks,
Bill N
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
Bill M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2020 at 9:13am
Hello Bill Norris,

there were only 4 photos that came up in the search. I think they are high resolution. Yes I will get Fred's book on the CJ pre production models as I find it fascinating. All the best to you all.
cheers
Bill.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>