Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

spring dimensions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downrangeking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spring dimensions
    Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 8:14pm
I am trying to track down spring dimensions to see if mine need to be rearched before I put them back together.
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 9:41pm
Good question, can I pile on?  Looking in the manual which I am beginning to find a useful tool:

CJ-2a, CJ-3a, and CJ-3b springs are the same

Front               Rear
Leaves                              10                    9
Length                           36 1/4"                  42"
Width                             1 3/4"                     1 3/4"
Load to attain
design camber                640 lb                   800 lb
Stack Height                     2.09"                      1.832 "
Design camber                  3/8"                              1/4 "

At what points is the length measured?
Hod do you measure stack height and is that w/o load or with?
What is design camber and how do you measure?

The old springs I took off look good now off the jeep but sure were not while on.

Steve
Ames, IA
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2008 at 10:52pm
Length is measured eye to eye (center of), stack height I'm assuming would be the thickness of the leaves measured at the centering bolt. (but that measurement doesn't make any sense since it wouldn't change appreciably and there are different leaf packages.) Maybe someone else has the definitive answer to that.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2008 at 5:35pm
$155 for a set of 9 leaf rear springs and $35 shipping looks like a good deal?

I just bought a set locally for $135 each plus tax.   What is the down side?
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2008 at 5:59pm
The down side of new springs are the appearance doesn't match the originals. The originals had tapered springs whereas the new ones have the modern "rounded" edges. Kinda depends on the look you're going for. Plus I've seen some "new" springs that once they're installed, they appear really flat, almost look like original worn out springs. I got some new ones from Ron Fitzpatrick that didn't have the flat look when installed, but I've also seen others that even though new, looked completely flat when installed. Can't think of any way to tell prior to buying and installing them. (I still had original rears, which I had re-arced the proper way by an old time spring shop and they look great.)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
misterberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2008 at 9:17pm
How is design camber measured? Question
I know of a guy in Yuciapa ,CA that has over 50 sets of original springs (tapered type) Thumbs%20Up
so having the eye to eye measurement is great but I sure would like to know how to measure the design camber when I sort thru them.
James Berry

'48 2A ser.187593 "Jeep Jeep"

It's a "Lefty"....
Moved north from California-
Now waving the Canadian flag -
A Canuck back home in Edmonton
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2008 at 3:34am
Spring length is measured along the curve, eye center-to-center.

Design camber is how much arch is left when compressed w/the spec load weight.  If less than spec, the springs have lost some strength.

Sean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2008 at 5:12am
Sean ...as usual you are the fountain of knowledge!Thumbs%20Up

Is there any way of determining the arch without mounting it to measure it?
Could you recommend a proceedure for measurement with the springs out of the jeep?

James Berry

It's a "Lefty"....
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2008 at 3:56pm
James:
Quote Is there any way of determining the arch without mounting it to measure it?
Willys didn't specify the unloaded arch height, so no way of knowing offhand.

Quote Could you recommend a proceedure for measurement with the springs out of the jeep?
Rig up a mounting system to replicate the frame pivot & shackle, then put the required weight on it & measure remaining arch?

I've never done it, but there's no way I know of other than putting the required load on the spring itself.

Steves data specs the heavy-duty front spring.  The standard-duty, 8-leaf, front spring is:
Leaves                              8
Length                           36 1/4"
Width                             1 3/4"
Camber load                   525 lb
Design camber                 5/16"
Sean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2008 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

Spring length is measured along the curve, eye center-to-center.

Design camber is how much arch is left when compressed w/the spec load weight.  If less than spec, the springs have lost some strength.

Sean

With design cambers of 1/4 to 5/16 inch, these springs would be almost flat with stated load.?   Stated load would be max load?   That doesn't seem right to me?

This is all new to me and I am just asking dumb questions.  The following has some info on springs and camber.  Still digesting it all my self.

The more questions I ask, the more I wonder if replacing springs is a crap shoot.  Most sources say avoid foreign springs yet some are satisfied.   Some say avoid rearching and others say it is ok or the best. 

My final conclusions so far seem to be 1) buy from a reputable seller with experience, and 2) avoid used springs unless you know the history.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2008 at 4:34pm
The third conclusion I have is you don't know what you have, until you put in on YOUR jeep!

Steve
Ames,IA
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2008 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by willys54wagon willys54wagon wrote:

With design cambers of 1/4 to 5/16 inch, these springs would be almost flat with stated load.?
Almost

Quote Stated load would be max load?
Yes.  GVW is 2937 lbs.  Add up the spring loads: 2 x 800 + 2 x 640 = 2880.

Quote The following has some info on springs and camber.
That's about wheel camber.

In our axles, wheel camber is permanently set by the king pins, it does not change when the springs are compressed.

Sean

PS, here's a good example of worn out springs.  They have reverse arched!

Edited by sean - 26 Aug. 2008 at 4:47pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2008 at 5:55pm

Still exploring springs for the front of the cj.   In looking at northstar Willys, I see that the front springs (10 leaf) are the same for the cjs, wagons and  trucks (excluding cj5 .    My Manual (handy things when we read them) do show the exact same specs for 10 leaves for the cjs and trucks and wagons 4wd.  Even for the L6-226 4wd.

Just found this interesting and it might expand where we look for springs.  I will have to look a little more closely at the extra springs that came with my wagons. (price is right). 

Steve
Ames, IA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2008 at 6:09pm
[/quote]That's about wheel camber.[/QUOTE]

You made me me get my dictionary.   Camber is defined as "a shallow convex curve on the surface of a road, a roof or the deck of a ship............"   

So there can be camber on a spring and it can be measured but the  the range of 1/4 to 5/16 is beyond my level of accuracy.   But I can ID the neg camber which we know is a problem.

In talking about camber on autos we are then talking about a measurement or adjustment to the camber of the road?  There is no actual camber on the auto.  I know I have too much time on my hands.

Steve
Ames, IA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2008 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by misterberry misterberry wrote:

How is design camber measured? Question
I know of a guy in Yuciapa ,CA that has over 50 sets of original springs (tapered type) Thumbs%20Up
so having the eye to eye measurement is great but I sure would like to know how to measure the design camber when I sort thru them.

In thinking this through :

1) find  two pipes about 2-3 feet long that would fit in the eyes of the spring
2) insert in eyes and  center  pipes and set on drive way with arch up.
3) drive one front or rear wheel of your cj on the  spring as determined by where the spring goes.
4)  Measure the space between spring and driveway.

OK gents, have I had too many beers or not enough?

Steve
Ames, IA
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2008 at 6:29pm

Here's a pretty decent description of the three usual alignment properties on cars, toe-in, caster, and camber.

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html 

Camber is the deviation from vertical of a wheel.  Postive camber is when the bottom of the wheel is tilted in towards the vehicle and the top is tilted out away from the vehicle. negative camber is when the bottom is tilted away from the vehicle and the top is tilted in towards the vehicle.  Normally, the camber of front wheels is adjusted postively such that there is a theoretical intersection between the projection of the centerline of the kingpin to the road surface such that it intersects with the road at the centerline of the tire.  take a look at the link for pictures so you don't have to struggle to understand my explanation! LOL
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2008 at 4:34pm
Another place, w/slightly better illustrations:
Wheel alignment - a short course
Camber, caster & toe-in are all part and parcel of the steering geometry.  The CJ-2A has a degree of all 3.

Toe-in is, of course, easily adjustable by tie rods.

Caster is only adjustable by tapered shims between spring pack & perch.

Camber is fixed by the knuckle king-pin bores.  Not adjustable.

Sean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misterberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2008 at 9:16pm
Gee Steve
I think that may actually work !Clap
It almost sounds like a Bubba solution....but then Bubbaications are hard to undo and cause more harm than good.Disapprove
Any other opinions on this solution or modifications to this??
James Berry

It's a "Lefty"....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>