Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Must have product? I'm a believer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Must have product? I'm a believer
    Posted: 08 Sep. 2008 at 5:07am
A couple weeks ago I was at my local parts supplier and some how we got on the subject of Kroil penentrating oil. Then Jerry (the store owner) told me he had something better. At that point I was all ears... Better than Kroil????

Ill spare you the amazing success stories Jerry shared regarding this product and just tell you it's called Freeze Off by CRC! It basically does the opposite of heating with a torch.

Granted its only been a couple weeks but this stuff has yet to let me down and I've put it against some pretty tough fittings that haven't moved in 60 years. Best personal story yet.... It freed up the distributor I've been working over a year to move. Took more than a couple, longer that suggest, shots but I was finally able set the timing on my Jeep. Boy did it need it!

I'm sold.... This is the stuff!

CRC%20Freeze-Off%20Super%20Penetrant%20
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Dez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2008 at 5:13am
My bud just told me about this stuff today, I stole a few cans from him lol
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2008 at 4:26pm
So to loosen the distributor you blasted the base of the distributor and shrunk it enough t move? That's good to know....had you tried a torch previously?

I've seen this stuff on the shelves but assumed it was just another gimmick...do you know what gas they are using in it? I assume probably not freon?
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2008 at 7:55pm
I too have almost bought that on several occasions when the torch tanks were empty. I have not bought it figuring it prolly wouldn't work much better than turing a dust off can upside down. I play paintball and have plenty of tanks with on/offs on them too I have thought of tilting them upside down and freezing the bolt with the uber cold liquid c02. if you say it work I may have to go get me a can.

Edited by ovrlnd - 08 Sep. 2008 at 7:57pm
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2008 at 9:09pm
F Bill, no I had not tried a torch. Was somewhat nervous about putting a torch on the block. Previously I had used just about half a can of PB Blaster, adding a squirt ever time I went into the barn. This wasn't a total miracle cure on the dist. Took repeated applications of this stuff and some tapping with a hammer from the underside. Then some serious muscle with my big channel lock's.  However this same method failed miserably before the Freeze Off.

I'm not sure what is in this stuff. They call it proprietary blend. Looks like WD-40 coming out of the can, smells like ammonia. Oh and it doesn't frost the bolt like it shows on the can. LOL

ovrind, it's more than just a freezing effect, it has a penentrating oil too. According to CRC, with the bolt shrunk, the oil can get deep into the threads, and this is what works. 

Heck, says "satisifaction guaranteed" right on the can. Wink

Edited by Scott R - 08 Sep. 2008 at 9:17pm

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Jus*Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jus*Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2008 at 10:05pm
Well, I was just in the local Fastenal this morning (picking up some stick form of thread locker and anti sieze...thanks Gale!), and happened to ask the counter guy about the CRC. He said that he didn't have it in that brand, but DID have it from Loctite (called "Freeze & Release"), so I bought a can. ($14 for 13.5 oz., in case you're wondering).

When I check the contents, it lists Tetrafluorethane as the primary ingredient, along with petroleum distillates, butane, kerosene and isobutene. Says it goes down to -45 degrees Fahrenheit. Also explains the process as causing the layers of rust to "crack, allowing the lubricant ingredient to wick directly into the rust by capillary action."

Haven't used it yet, but we'll see...
Seeya!

<Jack>

'48 CJ2A 197207 "Junebug"

'48 CJ2A 191237 "Turquoise"
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2008 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Jus*Jack Jus*Jack wrote:

He said that he didn't have it in that brand, but DID have it from Loctite (called "Freeze & Release"), so I bought a can. ($14 for 13.5 oz., in case you're wondering).

Shocked I paid $6 and some change for the Freeze Off (11.5 oz) and saw it at AutoZone for $5.00. Maybe CRC is like a crack dealer. Get you hooked on the stuff then raise the price. 

Although Loctite is a good brand, I'll have to find a can and give it try.

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2008 at 2:56pm
Quote ... smells like ammonia.
Ammonia is a great refrigerant!  I can see how this would work good.
 Post Reply Post Reply