Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 45 Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 45 Project
    Posted: 18 Sep. 2008 at 1:33am
I wanted to put my project where it actually belongs here in the project section.

Here is my project

(This link will take you to my original project post that I put in the General Discussion section, I have moved the post to here where it should be)

Edited by Night0wl - 24 Nov. 2009 at 2:16pm
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2008 at 1:45am
I have been away for a while and boy I have missed alot on the CJ2A page. 
One of my biggest issues with my Jeep was finding a place to put it so that I could
work on it.  Well I made a tuff decision.  I decided after much thinking, and thinking and thinkning, that it would be best to move my wood working equipment out and get the Jeep into the garage.  So I did just that.  Moved the table saw, the joiner, the lathe, the band saw, the miter saw and several other thing out to the shed.  I know I know, where in the world did I fit all of that stuff in my garage right?LOL  Well I had it pretty organized.  But I decided to hang those things up for a while and concentrate on the Jeep.  So I got it in the garage this weekend.  It's a tight squeeze but I think I have enough room to do my work on it.  Until now it has been outside under a tarp.  The body is still outside for now.  It is up off of the ground and well covered but I really can't work on it where it is.  I am glad I got the CJ into the garage though.  Now I can start power brushing and not worry about catching my back yard on fire.  Most of my back yard is wooded and covered with old leaves.  Anyway, here are a couple of pics of my new shop!

Looking forward to actually getting some work done!
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Keith.Tracy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith.Tracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2008 at 3:42am
Do you have a body for it?
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2008 at 4:23am
Keith,
If you click on the link for my project you will see the body.  As I said earlier the body is still outside and I don't have the room to work on it right now.  The body does have the tool indents and the split windshield.  Still got a long way to go but it's good to see progress.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2008 at 12:28am
Ok, so appologies all around for my lack of posting my progress and pics.  Needless to say i have been working on the CJ.  This is a pic of my garage.  Well My half of the garage!  If these Jeeps were any bigger I couldn't get around it.  So as you can see I have taken just about everything off.  I have the front axel left to remove and a few other things on the front as well as the springs.  Then it's off to get a sand blasting and then I will need to repair some ruff spots on the frame.  It's funny.  Looking at the post before this one I notice parts I bought that are not even correct for my 2A.  I have learned alot about my Jeep and others while on this site.  Alot of thanks to you guys for filling me in on what I should know.  Also alot of thanks to you guys for helping me come up with the parts that I have been missing for my CJ.  I will try to do better on posting on my own project and not just on others.LOL
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Randy Snyder View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2008 at 5:02am
Looks like you got the "ole Protect the Shin" wrap on the rear bumper!  Smile

I think most of us here have that one in our toolboxes!

Randy
'46 2A #13943

'46 2A #26236

'45 T3-C #436

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2008 at 6:19pm
Yep, but at the hieght I have it up on the stands it is the the "ole protect the knee" .  Made that mistake a time or two.Angry
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2009 at 3:10pm
It's been a while.  Have you been able to do much lately?  I know how these things go.  I had to put my Jeep on the backburner for a couple of years and didn't get started up again until June.  But I have gotten a lot done in the last few months and the Jeep is running great now.

Once you get to the point where you can start working on all the sheet metal and making it pretty the wife will become MUCH more tolerant of time spent on the Jeep.  At least that has been my experience.  She has even issued bonus Willys Points and Willys Point discount coupons on occasion.  What has really helped me is that I decided to paint it a nice bright non-original red color.  Now she loves "our cute lil'red Jeep" and always wants to take it when we run up to the store for little items, short errands, etc.  With the wife on board it is a LOT easier to buy parts and find time to work on it.

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2009 at 3:17pm
Something I noticed about your Jeep was the windshield frame.  It has the rounded flange studs for the top bow holders.  You might want to keep an eye out for a windshield frame that is original to the early Jeeps.  They had square flanges on the studs, as well as a couple of other minor differences.  The fit is the same however.  I also noticed that the inner frame has a handle and not a latch, so perhaps the outer frame was swapped out?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong about these details.  I know a few things but I'm definitely not an expert on the 45s.  1947 was a MUCH better year for Jeeps anyway. Wink

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2009 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Cammer Cammer wrote:

Something I noticed about your Jeep was the windshield frame.  It has the rounded flange studs for the top bow holders.  You might want to keep an eye out for a windshield frame that is original to the early Jeeps.  They had square flanges on the studs, as well as a couple of other minor differences.  The fit is the same however.  I also noticed that the inner frame has a handle and not a latch, so perhaps the outer frame was swapped out?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong about these details.  I know a few things but I'm definitely not an expert on the 45s.  1947 was a MUCH better year for Jeeps anyway. Wink
I did not see the windshield picture referenced, but Jerry's description certainly sounds correct, and my conclusion would be that the inner frame is correct for the earliest 2As but that the outer frame with the round top bow stud reinforcing washer or flange is from a later 2A.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2009 at 10:30pm
Man I am so far behind on my post!!  I almost forgot I had one. 
Jerry, You are correct about the windshield.  I don't know what happened to it that it got swapped around like that.  I do have a 45 windshield though.  It is a little beat up but I think it can be saved.  It has the proper MB style brackets and all.  And the best part?  It still has the original non broken glass!!! 
Anyway, I have just been doing little odds and end stuff.  Like cleaning up pieces and painting them with the correct style of black paint.  Nothing really to post about.  Although I know I should. 
Right now the Jeep is 98% in pieces.  I say 98 because I have redone the stearing column and column shift and that is back together awaiting paint.  Everything else is apard and labled.  Waiting to be cleaned and painted.  If I had it to do all over again I don't think I would have taken it all apart like I did.  I would have gone section by section.  It seams so overwhelming right now seeing it in this form with everything apart.  Not to mention I have to remember or research how to put it all back in the right spot.  I have one bag labled with "?????"s because I either didn't write down what the bolt came off of or found it and don't remember what it goes to.  Not a lot of bolts and nuts but several.  I am sure I will find a home for them some time during the reconstruction.  I hope.  Anyway, I am still looking for some loose parts that I need to make it whole again.  Nothing major but a few small things. 
You may be right about the sheet metal and my wife liking the looks of it.  Right now it is an eye soar to say the least.  But atleast I am able to keep one side of the garage for my work!
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2009 at 2:15pm
I decided to do a little cleaning on the Jeep parts today since I am working from home which doesn't happen very often.  I wanted to find some more numbers so I could update my info on the data page.  I found my axle numbers.  
The front reads 8 14 45
The rear reads  9 10 45 ( the 5 in 45 is really hard to make out )

I really need to get back to working on the Jeep.  Life has pulled me away from it and progress has been really slow.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2010 at 7:49pm
Work on the 2A has been real slow.  I have been working on the small parts when I have time.  Here is a pic of some of the parts I have cleaned up and primed.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2010 at 7:59pm
very nice Thumbs Up

i have to ask, are you running 2 coils ?  Wink

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2010 at 8:11pm
Good eye Low.  I was lucky enough to find two of them!  When I look back on the start of this project I am frustrated that I haven't done more then this.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Hubie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar. 2010 at 11:13am
Nice Project Night Owl.  Can I ask what you are using to sandblast with?  I'd like to go with something non-ferrous; but I'm not having much luck finding anything afforadable.

Thanks -

Joe
JIMO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JIMO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2010 at 12:54am
Dave,  Keep up the good work.  My project is between 5-6 years now....boy did I get sucked in.  I guess I take too much pride in my work.  I decided not to "bubba" it up. (is that a term I learned here?)  But now I can almost see the light.  Keep picking away as you can and before you know it you will be driving it.  Good luck.....JIM 
1946 CJ-2A
1996 F-150
2000 XJ
MITY KAT CRAWLER

"I love it when a plan comes together"
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar. 2010 at 5:26pm
Well, yet another post after a long period with out an update.  I have been plugging away at small parts still.  On another note I did do some major work to my frame last week. (sorry no pics)  My frame is close to the point of being able to blast it and then paint it.  Once that is completed I think I will get my springs and entire axle assemblies cleaned up and painted and installed on the frame.  I think that will give me some motivation to move forward a quicker pace seeing the chassis in that condition.  I have yet another pic of some small parts that I have blasted and primed.  I know it's not that exciting.  Some of you experts will be able to tell what everything is and what it goes to.  Others may not.  I hope to get on some more things outside now that the weather is looking nice.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>