Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 45 Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2010 at 8:05pm
More cleaning of parts.  I was focusing on the brakes today.  Found these markings on my drums.
 I'm not refering to the R on the stud but the F on the drum itself.

Edited by Night0wl - 24 Mar. 2010 at 8:06pm
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2010 at 8:28pm
Well, that is pretty cool.  A Ford drum.  You could probably get something for that if one of the GPW purists wanted it. 

I had a GPW radiator in my 2a when I got it.  I ended up swapping it for a nice 2a radiator.  I still have a GPW complete front axle, since no one seems to want to pay for shipping on that puppy.

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 4:45pm
Been plugging away t the resto bit by bit.
Not a great picture but the frame is almost complete.  Here is a pic of the frame.  It has two coats of POR15 and so far one coat of POR Self Etching Primer.  It is awaiting the last of the application of POR Chassis Coat Black.
I have been working on the suspension parts and should have those ready to install in the next few weeks.  I also have everything I need to rebuild my tranny and transfer case so that will be next on the list.  Slowly but surely moving ahead.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 6:49pm
Good idea on the roll around work stand Dave.....alot easier on the back to work at waist level than stooping over all the time.  Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 7:18pm
Chad,
Yes, and it was cheap too!  I am able to roll it outside and work on it in the driveway and like you said it really helps having it at this height.  I will have to mock something up though when it's time to put the front and rear end on so that I can still move it outside easily.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 7:28pm
Are the running vehicles staying outside these days?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 7:49pm
That's pretty funny there Jeff!LOL
Another reason for the rolling frame/cart was so that I could move the frame to the other side of the garage to work on other stuff in "My" space.  Then when I am done it gets moved back over so my wife can have "her" parking space in the garage.  So to answer your question, my personal vehicle and my work vehicle stay outside.  My wife gets to park in the garage.  Gonna have to build that addition outside to make room for a bigger shop one of these days.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2010 at 2:57pm

So progress has been slow but it has been progress non the less.  Here is a small sample of parts that I have completed.  I have plenty others that have been blasted and primed and are awaiting final paint.  My frame is done and is waiting on one final coat of POR chassis coat black.  I apologize for not having done a good job on my rebuild thread.  There is always something else to do then work on my Jeep.  I know it's not much to look at and I could have done closer pics of each but this was much easier since I needed to clean in the garage some.  I have tried to mix the parts up some so as to not get bored on one particular part or area for to long.  This helps but takes up more room in the garageBig smile

Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2010 at 3:05pm
Thumbs Up
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

fritz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2010 at 3:20pm
nice work dave.  slow and steady is good!  by the way, that must be the toughest f'n laundry basket ever.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2010 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by fritz fritz wrote:

....... by the way, that must be the toughest f'n laundry basket ever.

I was thinking the very same thing! Big smile

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2010 at 7:08pm
HAHALOL  I didn't even think about that. 
That basket is 15 years old or so.  Had it from my college days.  It's big and sturdy.  I can stand on the thing and it will hold me up.  I was pulling the stuff out and didn't want to set the tranny on the driveway so I grabbed that basket.  I didn't give it a second thought that it would hold the tranny uplthere was no doubt it would.  It is used for recycling cans and glass now.  I put the stuff in there and then take it to the recycling depot.  Works good. 
Thanks for noticing!Big smile
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2011 at 6:30pm
Nice 60' degree day, so I decided to paint the frame it's final coat.
It turned out good.  I had 2 runs when I wasn't paying attention!Angry
But all in all I am pleased.
Now I can start to put stuff back on!!!Big smile
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
fritz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2011 at 8:46pm
Now the fun really begins!  you get to start bolting on all the nice shiny bits.
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2011 at 12:41am
Yes, I am looking forward to actually putting stuff on.  Kida get's old, taking stuff off and cleaning all the time.  Next are my springs, I sandblasted most of them today.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
fritz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2011 at 3:43pm
dave, i was going back through this and noticed your cabinet sandblaster.  i am thinking of getting the harbor freight version.  is that what you have?  how does it work?

eric
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2011 at 7:19pm
Eric,
Yes I have the HF version.  It works well I think.  I have no other cabinets to compare it to though.
Some things I have noticed about it.
1.The light leaves something to be desired at times.  A lot of this has to do with the glare that comes from my shop lights or outside seeing as I have it right next to my garage door. 
If my lights are off and my garage door closed it's not to bad.  I find myself repositioning my head to see better a lot of times.  It does come with several replacement covers for your light and glass.  These are plastic covers to keep the glass over your light and main window glass from getting scratched up from the media.  So a new one of these helps you see too.
2.  You need to make sure the clamps are good and tight on all the hoses.  I have had mine come off a time or two.  To much psi maybe.  I use a regulator and set it at around 90psi.  It seems to work best here with the black diamond media I use.  Also I'm not crazy about the inlet being on the front of the machine.  It gets in the way and can easily be broken.  I'm careful with it.
3.  The rack/shelf inside does not come out unless you take the hose off the siphon feeder.  I cut my shelf to make it easier to take in and out without disconnecting anything.  This is good if you have an odd shaped piece that is hard to maneuver with the shelf in there.  I have sandblated a 16"rim in there.  With the shelf in and with it out as well.
Some Positives:
4.  It is inexpensive compared to others I have priced.
5.  The vacuum system works well and keeps the air clean inside so you can see. (I use my shopvac with a throwaway filter.  I have cleaned this filter a few times to extend it's life.  I wouldn't use an expensive filter for this.)  I have my shopvac running outside and blowing away from me while I am blasting.  I don't want to breath any of this stuff.  Silica or not!
6.  Parts are available through HF.  I haven't needed anything yet but I called to check the other month on the plastic covers and they had most all parts in stock at reasonable prices.
7.  It comes with several ceramic tips.  I haven't replaced my first one yet but I plan to do that just to see if there is a difference.  I don't know if mine is worn out or not, it seems fine.
8.  I like the door at the bottom to change media.  I have done this once and it was easy to do with that door.
Hope all this helps.
I have an 80gal Ingersoll Rand compressor and it has no problem keeping up with this cabinet.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2011 at 7:27pm
My compressor
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>