Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 45 Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2011 at 7:41pm
thanks for info.  i was hoping you could do a wheel in there.  that alone will justify the price of buying one.  i dont have that big of an air compressor, but i should be able to do some at a time.  i dont get paid by the parts done on this project!

thanks again for the product review.

eric
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2011 at 8:55pm
The wheels aren't easy to do in there mind you, but I did it before I got an outdoor hopper style.
I made a bin with some tarps and saw horses outside to catch the media in.  Doing a wheel in there is much easier.  If I could make a recommendation.  Take a wheel with you to HF.  Most of the stores have one of these set up.  See what it is like to maneuver the wheel around in there.  With and without the rack shelf in place.
Good luck.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2011 at 9:02pm
Lookin good ClapClapClap

let me know when its a roller ,  good excuse to go on nite manuvers with a trailer  WinkWinkWink
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2011 at 11:52pm
Got my springs all blasted and primed.
I steam cleaned my front and rear ends and plan to prime and paint them with my springs this week weather permitting.  Then I will be able to put them all on.  Looking forward to seeing these parts go on.
Next will be the cross member and the tranny/transfer case/bell housing which are all done.

Edited by Night0wl - 08 Mar. 2011 at 12:03am
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 12:03am
That almost looks like a pattern on a Navajo blanket. (you're waaaay too neat.)LOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 12:06am
Good observation there Gale.  I was just trying to keep the springs with the right set.  I don't know if it would make a big deal or not to get the mixed up but I don't want to do that.  So as you can see I lined the up as per each set..
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
fritz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 12:09am
uff da.  i thought i was ocd.  i will bet a ten spot you took a step back and looked at it and made adjustments to them to make them straighter!  seriously though, well done. 
eric
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 12:26am
NightOwl, there is a special super slick spring paint that allows the springs to slide.  Dont know if it would be worth it to paint just a couple sets of springs though, probably comes in gallons.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 12:39am
Gallons?  That's a lot of paint Ralf.....
I definitely don't need that much.  I will look into it though.
Fritz, I am proud to say that I set them up in that order the first time.
Again,  I was just trying to keep the sets in order. 
Funny story about the U-bolts.
I was sand blasting them and I thought.... What's up with this u-bolt it's bigger then the others!  Did I miss something or did some one replace one of these things years ago.  Then I looked at the front and rear end and noticed that the front needed one larger u-bolt to go around the diff casing.
I never noticed that before.  Sure enough the hanger for that side has one set of normal holes and then another set of holes that are farther apart to go with this larger u-bolt.
You learn something new every day!
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
fritz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 1:51am
nice.  beers on me when we meet then!
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 9:10pm
Well, Ralf's comment about the paint for the springs got me thinking.  I didn't know that the springs needed something in between to cut down on friction.  So I did some research and found some good information.  Your springs really need to move freely to work properly.  Some spring shops sell Teflon inserts that go between each leaf.  I opted to go with this paint.  It is available at Tractor Supply and is used widely in the farming community on farm implements, to keep products from sticking to the equipment.  It has graphite impregnated in the paint.  I called the company that makes it and got some good advice on application and uses.
It supposed to be black but is more closer Charcoal.
You really need to mix this stuff up because the graphite sinks to the bottom.
I painted the areas that will be touching other springs.  The paint drys fast and will enable you to put more then one coat on if you need it.  I plan to let the the paint dry, put the springs together, then prime some of the needed area and then do a final coat or two.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 9:12pm
 By the way I bought the quart size for $12.99
I chose to use a brush because I didn't want to mess up my sprayer with this stuff.
Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 9:22pm
Lotta work! Shocked

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 9:23pm
Good deal on the graphite paint.  I did not know that it was readily available. I made a couple plywood boats and mixed powdered graphite with the epoxy to toughen up the bottom for sliding over rocks. 

1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A

1941 J-3 Cub
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Lotta work! Shocked

Chad,
This whole project is a Lot of Work!
But I want to do a good job on it and I am currently out of work right now so I have extra time on my hands to work on the Jeep.
Besides I was given some more uses for it.  One good idea I think is to paint the bottom side of your mower deck with it and this will keep the grass from sticking to the deck and really help with discharging.

Night0wl
45 CJ-2A
My Project
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 9:41pm
How about under side of fenders?????????????????
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A

1941 J-3 Cub
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 9:47pm
I saw a TV program on old school Vette restoration and thye separated the leaves and slathered them with grease.  Then they installed them and wrapped them with cloth an drove around a week.  Then they took of the cloth, cleaned the exposed surfaces with mineral spirits and then sprayed them black with a rattle can.  Seems like a lot of work compared to the ez- slide paint.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A

1941 J-3 Cub
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2011 at 10:02pm
That paint also works well on snowblowers, I am told. Not that I use them here in Texas...lol.
Nice work on the springs!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>