Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wooden hood block question....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wooden hood block question....
    Posted: 06 Feb. 2006 at 9:30pm

Hi to everyone,

Does anyone know if there are dimensions or plans for making the wooden hood blocks (for the windshield to rest on) anywhere on the net?  I do not have a set for my '46 and I work with two carpenters at work who could probably whip me up a set on their lunch break, but I want them to be identicle to the stock ones for the jeep.  I also noticed two styles in photos, ones which are plain blocks and others with a strip of canvas welting down the top length of them as a pad, which ones are correct for a mid '46 model?  Also, were these painted black when they came from the factory, or were they stained and varnished?  I've seen both variations on peoples jeeps in pictures.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Daniel

Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2006 at 9:54pm
look on ebay. i see them there all the time. try typing cj2a or cj 2a
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2006 at 11:33pm
Thanks, but if I get the dimensions I can have them made for next to free, plus I like the idea of making a set.
Bluax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2006 at 2:12am

Aw-rite, Ugly Jeep ... got your pencil and paper handy?

draw a picture of a rectangle on your paper 4 5/8" L x 2" tall x 1" wide.  11/16" from the left is dead center for your first hole.  Continue on and again from the left side measure 3 5/16" for dead center of your second hole.  These are both 1/4" holes drilled completely thru the width of the block.  Now we will enlarge these holes to 5/8" to a depth of 1 1/4" otherwords, countersink.  When completed you will note that both holes are more toward one end of the block and are NOT evenly spaced from each end.

Now that you have the dimensions, UJp, you may return the favor by custom making mine in Burl, medium stained, with ultra high gloss.  BTW, I took these dimensions from one of the black hood blocks.  Although I've had this particular set for many years they are repros.  They do deteriorate because water collects in the counter sunk parts.

Blu

Mountains ta climb, roads ta drive an' rivers ta paddle .... now 'Ride Bambino, Ride!'
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2006 at 8:40pm

Hi, Thanks Blu,

How 'bout a set made from oak?  I had enough of an old hand rail to whip you up an extra set, PM me your address and I'll send them to you.  They aint perfect, but I made them as close as I could to your dimensions, and you can finish them anyway you like.

Now,...I still have questions!  Was black the original finish?  Also, I am assuming the screw holes are offset to the rear of the jeep with the extra wood towards the front, correct?  Also, why the difference in styles out there, as I mentioned in my first post?  Anyone else have any answers?  Thanks again!

Daniel

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2006 at 8:53pm
I've read a few posts in the past on this. I haven't tried to pull them up but I thought the hard rubber ones were early Military. I think the wood that was used was white oak, the same as they use for bed flooring in the PU's. Maybe a search on the "G" may give an insight? From what I can remember there was no "correct" dimensions as they couldn't be collaborated.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2006 at 10:47am
Daniel:

Bluax is having problems logging in again.  He asked me to tell you he was just joking when he asked you to build him a set of hood blocks.

As Gary said, rubber, and wood channel w/canvas strip, were WWII military.  CJ were all wood.

As to size, the 2" tall blocks were used on CJ3A, not CJ2A.  I don't know the exact height, but CJ2A were approx. square cross section, and they were black.

Best evidence of this is a 1945 photo of a new 1945 CJ2A (photo courtesy Bill Oakes):

Sean

Edited by sean - 18 Apr. 2008 at 1:57pm
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2006 at 11:22am

great photo, thanks. 

interesting to note that those are either 650/16 tires, the picture angle is causing a distortion or the front springs are flat because those tires look bigger than the 600/16 NDT's I use to have.

too bad the camera man didn't have color film and take all sides.

Jeff

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2006 at 11:34am
Jeff:

There's a lot of extra weight up front with that capstan winch (and who knows what extras might be under the hood), and the springs appear to be the standard 8-leaf, not the HD 10-leaf.

I've never seen any evidence that Willys delivered anything other than 6.00x16 tires.

Sean
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2006 at 12:22pm

I agree about the extra weight, it just looks like a low rider that's all  .

I also agree that I have never heard of anything other that the 6.00/16's on a 2A but I just had to ask .

That picture makes me want to pull the cover off my 2A and head out, too bad it is only 28 degrees here today, I might need to put the windshield up.

I had also forgotten that the windshield pivot bolt was plated, or at least it appears to be.

Jeff

uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2006 at 4:02pm

Thanks Sean and Gary,

I thought the ones I made looked a little goofy and too tall on the 2a when I put them on this morning.  Does anyone out there have any dimensions on the stock 2A blocks?  Are they just a sawed off 3a style block with the holes still offset or are the holes width and length different?

47 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2006 at 4:09pm
Sean, neat pic.  I agree on the 8-leaf springs.  I think the pic has been distorted by some means--probably lens type etc. 
1947 CJ-2A #87541
Bluax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2006 at 7:15pm

Got lucky on the log-in after around 70 tries!!!

Sorry those weren't the dimensions you needed, Daniel, but I've had at least 3 and maybe 4 different sets of blocks on mine over the past 40 years and as I recall they were all the same size and these are black;  the best that I can do for you.  Like Sean was kind enuf to relay, I was just joking when I put in my order for 'Burl' blocks!

I remain TOTALLY baffled as to why I'm having such great difficulties logging in.   If I don't respond to someone's comment you know that I just can't get on line. 

Bluax

Mountains ta climb, roads ta drive an' rivers ta paddle .... now 'Ride Bambino, Ride!'
Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2006 at 7:19pm

Bluax, it may be your firewall settings. The site and your PC trade info back and forth (how it shows which threads you have read and which ones you have not.)

I know some who have run into that issue on another site I frequent.

I'm no computor guru so don't ask me how to correct it...LOL

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting "...holy cow, what a ride!"
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2006 at 10:03pm

I found me a CJ-2A in Oct 05, or should I say it found me as it happens sometimes. Anyway it is a 46 column shift and even though is need a lot of work it appears to be orginal (minus the engine). It has not even been repainted, it's pasture green. Well the reason I am responding is it has what looks like one of the original hood blocks. I'll try to attach a photo.

The dimentions are 3 7/8" long, 1 3/8" X 1 3/8" the holes are 3/16" with 1/2" counter bore, 1/2 " deep. I'm sure the wood has shrunk some. and I think it is pine

Edited by Mark - 10 Feb. 2006 at 12:08pm
46 Column shift #24465
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2006 at 4:24pm

I made some for my 48, they don't look original but they do the job. I made them taller so my electric wiper arm doesnt' hit the hood, then I changed wipers and now it hits.  Oh well, with my rattle can paint job it ain't so hard to touch up, I just need to take the time to adjust it a bit. I used 1 inch lag bolts from under the hood to bolt mine on, made them out of treated pine and painted them body color. Like I said not original, but functional.

Rob

By the way, how'd you guys insert the photos?

Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2006 at 5:53pm

Rob, I e-mailed Sean and he helped me with the my pitcure.

Thanks, Sean!

46 Column shift #24465
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2006 at 10:15am
Mark, you're welcome!

Rob, check my Photo Posting Tutorial

Sean

Edited by sean - 07 July 2008 at 5:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>