Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what motor oil are u using in you willys?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 10:55pm
I found this on a Google search.  Was glad to see it because I had already purchased this oil!
"
The BMW MOA (actually, the forum moderator) did a study in which he sent samples of oil to have them analyzed for ZDDP (actually, zinc and phosphorous) levels. That report showed the Castrol GTX 20W-50 having good levels of ZDDP per that study.
I don't have the source material, but this was from another Forum.  We all know that anything said on a Forum is true LOL

47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 3:56am
Welcome to the forum Todd! Always good to hear from another Texan. I hope you know you are awakening a very controversial subject. What kind of equipment are you pouring this wonderful lubricant in?
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 2:17pm
Source threads:

The punchline is that the higher viscosity oils have higher amounts of zinc and phosphorus because the standards set targets for these and they have different levels at different viscosities.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 2:47pm
You might be surprised at what squirting a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder and letting it sit a week or so will do. 

Rings get stuck in the piston grooves, and the oil rings get clogged and stuck by built up carbon. The Marvel Mystery Oil does wonders with dissolving all that. It won't fix worn out rings or bad bores, but sometimes an old engine smokes because the rings are stuck, and it will help that.  

As for weight of oil, multi viscosity oils came about when engines no longer had solid lifters. These old flatheads don't need multi viscosity oils. 

Standard SAE 30 weight is specified, whether you want to be reminded of that or not, but in a worn engine it is okay to run a heavier oil like SAE 40, or add a can or two of STP to your SAE 30 to do the same thing.

I would try the Marvel Mystery Oil first.

Edited by Oldpappy - 30 July 2020 at 2:52pm
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Todd B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 6:07pm
Thank you for the welcome!  I have a 1949 CJ3A, but the info often seems better on the CJ2A site.  I also have a 43 GPW that I am doing a frame off restoration on.  I plan on doing the same on the CJ3A, but for now it is a driver.

Since I have already opening a can of worms by reviving this post I actually have another question.  I replaced my motor oil and the fluid in both differentials yesterday using the advice I found on this thread. Thank you.  I am  going to replace the transmission oil.  I have been having issues finding the correct one locally.  My local dealer does have Amsoil Manual Transmission oil.  I called Amsoil and the tech said this was a GL4 spec oil and it would not damage the yellow metal. He said they made two types of 75-90 and one was GL5 and would cause issues.  This is a synthetic oil.  I was going to purchase some today and use this unless there is a reason I should not.
Todd B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by 47 deuce alpha 47 deuce alpha wrote:

Welcome to the forum Todd! Always good to hear from another Texan. I hope you know you are awakening a very controversial subject. What kind of equipment are you pouring this wonderful lubricant in?

Thanks again for the welcome.  I noticed you have a 55 Willy Pickup.  I have to say I am a little 
jealous. I really want a Willy Truck.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 7:26pm
Napa GL-1`Mineral oil will work in your transmission, it's usually pretty easy to find. Napa can get it in overnight, $20 a gallon. I think GL4 is OK, as long as it's not a Hypoid oil. I've had the 55 for awhile now, Since the virus came along I managed to get a lot of work done on it.   

Edited by 47 deuce alpha - 30 July 2020 at 7:31pm
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Todd B Todd B wrote:

My local dealer does have Amsoil Manual Transmission oil.  I called Amsoil and the tech said this was a GL4 spec oil and it would not damage the yellow metal. He said they made two types of 75-90 and one was GL5 and would cause issues.  This is a synthetic oil.  I was going to purchase some today and use this unless there is a reason I should not.

The Amsoil is if you find it locally, usually it is $18-20/qt.  The one I use for my Nissan (also requires GL-4) is Valvoline MTF.  I find it at O'Reillys which I know you have down there in TX and it is usually $10/qt.

Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
oldmansimek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmansimek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 7:29pm
BRAD PENN oil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

"Hypoid" oil has extreme pressure ("EP") additives ("Hypoid" & "EP" marked oils are synonymous).  It needs to be used w/hypoid gears (differential ring & pinion), because they generate far higher friction pressures than non-hypoid gears.

Transmission & transfer case have no hypoid gears, so don't need hypoid oil.

Straight from Sean

I was told by someone whose opinion I highly respect that synthetic oil might tend to cause additional leakage in the transmission and transfer case. I try to stay with whatever will work and is readily available.

Edited by 47 deuce alpha - 30 July 2020 at 7:46pm
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
Todd B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR OnlyOneDR wrote:

Originally posted by Todd B Todd B wrote:

My local dealer does have Amsoil Manual Transmission oil.  I called Amsoil and the tech said this was a GL4 spec oil and it would not damage the yellow metal. He said they made two types of 75-90 and one was GL5 and would cause issues.  This is a synthetic oil.  I was going to purchase some today and use this unless there is a reason I should not.

The Amsoil is if you find it locally, usually it is $18-20/qt.  The one I use for my Nissan (also requires GL-4) is Valvoline MTF.  I find it at O'Reillys which I know you have down there in TX and it is usually $10/qt.

Thank you for the advice!
1943 GPW
1949 CJ3A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 3:04am
I will be running Lucas Hot Rod and Classic oil 10w-30 it has 2100ppm of zinc. The recommended amount for a flat tappet or solid lifter engine.I have 4) 5qt jugs stocked up along with 2) jugs of Break in oil it has 3600ppm of zinc.also made by Lucas. With a completely brand new Cam and valve train I want to be sure it gets broken in properly.

Edited by Mark W. - 31 July 2020 at 3:11am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 3:38am
Lucas is a good brand of lubricants, so should be a real good choice.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Todd B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I will be running Lucas Hot Rod and Classic oil 10w-30 it has 2100ppm of zinc. The recommended amount for a flat tappet or solid lifter engine.I have 4) 5qt jugs stocked up along with 2) jugs of Break in oil it has 3600ppm of zinc.also made by Lucas. With a completely brand new Cam and valve train I want to be sure it gets broken in properly.
Thank you for the info. I have an MB I am getting back together with a rebuilt engine and replacement cam.  Do you know the name of the 3600ppm oil?  I will check it out.
1943 GPW
1949 CJ3A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2020 at 3:04am
It is Lucas Oils Break in Oil. Thats what they call it. 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
muddyduk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddyduk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2020 at 3:57pm
Morning everyone. Just fired my Dad's early '46 cj2a yesterday here in Waco after sitting since 1974. Found this revived thread very interesting, as I'm definitely on a huge learning curve. Probably be living on this site till I finish the project or run out of money, whichever comes first. Thanks for all the great info!
"A hand in the bush is better than 2 birds."
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2020 at 9:22pm
Summit racing oil with zinc, or PennGrade 30 wt. both avail at SummitRacing

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 5:17am
Shell Rotella T4, 15W40 in my CJ2A with an F-Head.

My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>