Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

don’t tell mom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bluax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: don’t tell mom
    Posted: 22 Feb. 2006 at 10:40pm

Destined to be a 'classic' !  Luv et .....(sorry that I couldn't log on sooner to commend you on such a delightful read)

B

Mountains ta climb, roads ta drive an' rivers ta paddle .... now 'Ride Bambino, Ride!'
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2006 at 12:19am

Jack, Great story, (I love a good Jeep story) Sorry to hear of your losses along the way. The one thing that you do have is your mom's other woman (or should I say his "secret") Not many among us have something like a vehicle that they learned to drive in, to play with today. I have a couple quilts my Grandma made, but that ain't the same to a guy. I love the Quilts and my kids will cherish them, But I can't rebuild it, and when the color fades I can't paint it. Keep us posted and crack another story free, you have 40yrs of them.

Gary

CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

Doug View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2006 at 10:19pm
Thanks for sharing!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
shouting "...holy cow, what a ride!"
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2006 at 9:16pm

terrific story, that Jeep is part of you, have fun rebuilding it!

Jeff

46socal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46socal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2006 at 3:09am

The story of my 46 2a #12746. she has been in the family for over 40 years. my early memories are riding around my grandpa's ranch with my father. some of the time he was just showing me the sights. we hunted and target practiced sitting there with the windshield down. one time (iam riding shotgun) while looking at some thing out it right side, he turned left.  he didn't know i was missing for a couple of min. most of the time we worked the daylights out of that thing. I spent one sommer spredding grain with it.we grew hay. the jeep has a pto with a belt drum on the back that ran the spredder. my brother and i stood on the bags cutting them open and dumping them in the hopper. Smile     The jeep ran a water pump off the pto one year. I learned to drive in the jeep when i was about 12 years old, the jeep worked the ranch for 15 more years then Grandpa died and we started selling the ranch off.  Cry    Dad didn't want the jeep so he gave it to me.  Clap    On the ranch it never went over 25 mph on the dirt roads. well let me tell you, i thought i was doomed when i hit the pavment with her the first time. The wheels shook and wobled like a California earthquake the steering wheel had so much play in it i wasn't sure who was driving who. All that happened when i got her in a third gear that hadn't ever been used, ever! The 15 mile drive to my house took well over a hour. When i hit 40 mph and all hell was braking loose that was a real bad time to find out the brakes wern't all that swell.  Confused   So the rest of the drive was at a teeth shatering 20-25 mph. Home with my prize. My wife, who was following me in our car. Was laughing and crying so hard she wet her self. When she changed her clothing and stopped laughing, she said she didn't know someone could look so terified and still have a ear to ear grin.  Big smile the rebuild took off with great gusto.we had no money so the work went on as best as i could. A year later i had a running rolling chassy, the body got sand blasted and primed then worked stopped. I put the jeep in storage and there she sat for 15 years. (i lost my wife my brother, grand mother and Father )  Cry   so a couple of weeks ago i got a new body for her,top, tires to get things rolling again. I called my Mom regarding the jeep, she said she didn't rember the jeep. So i called my uncle, he told me my dad got the jeep in 1959 or 1960. Then  hid it on the other side of the ranch,  so my mom would not find out abought it. Mom found out,  Angry   and the jeep became the other woman. thats my story thanks Jack

life is good live it well
 Post Reply Post Reply