Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tool indent measurements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocahaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tool indent measurements
    Posted: 15 Dec. 2008 at 12:41pm
What are the dimensions (length, width, depth etc) of tool indentions for a cj2a? I have searched the past topics and not found this info.  I use my jeep for hunting and would like to be able to carry tools with me . I'm not trying to fool anyone by adding indents and jeep is not ever going to be restored to original.  Could someone provide drawings, pictures or just dimensions to include location (From lower edge of body etc. )   Thanks in advance for any help.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2008 at 2:05pm
That's going to be a complex drawing.....but while you are still in the planning phase..Tools can be carried without the indents, as many reenactors have done by using the brackets with spacers behind them.
 The indents are an attempt to get the shovel and axe tucked in tighter to the body, so they don't get in the way. THE M-38 put the indents on the other side of the jeep , which would make getting in and out for the DRIVER  easier. In either case you will be needeing the axe head bracket, the half moon  like shovel bracket, and the footman loops and one other ty off bracket that also holds the axe head up.

Proper shovels to fit the jeep body are tough to find, as they have a different drop to them than modern ones. You might go to the www.G503.com  tool boards and check out posts by John Barton  regarding the correct axe and shovel shapes for a jeep.

If you really do not care about originality, just get some light rectangular tubing wide enough to clear the handles, and use pieces of it to inset into the body centered where the bend in the side is.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2008 at 2:44pm
www.dlbensinger.com sells the replacement panels...
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

rocahaja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocahaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2008 at 12:40pm
To FBill and Lowenuf, good replies from both of you.  Thank you for you replies. 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2008 at 12:17am
Unfortunately Arizona's tool indents have alot of bondo in them but I did the best I could using it's visible features and also using the Getty photos.

These dimensions are only approximations.  As I said before, mine have bondo in them.  In the two views I am dimensioning the indents on their theoretical sharp edges.  The edges are actually radiused.  I have the radius at 1/8".  This could be 3/16" or 1/4".  Mine have too much putty in them to tell.  on the back side it looks like the inside radii are about 1/8" so with 16ga material the outside radii are about 3/16"  Once again these are approximate dimensions.

The shovel indent is approximately 1" deep.  The axe indent is approximately 19/32" deep.

Several members have jeeps with good tool indents.  Perhaps some of you can check your indents to these dimensions and suggest some revisions.

Edited by jpet - 22 Dec. 2008 at 12:18am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2008 at 4:09am
This is what I get for  Sam's tool indents:

There are only some subtle differences from my original dimensions.  The main features are:

Changed the radii to 3/6 (inner radius)
Added 15° angle to top side of axe indent (See profile view)
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
rocahaja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocahaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2008 at 2:00pm
These are both great drawings and they are exactly what I hoped for.  Thanks to both of you for taking the time and making the effort to help me out.
Thanks agian.
 Post Reply Post Reply