Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frame issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frame issues
    Posted: 16 July 2019 at 2:48am
hi everyone

I have bought reproduction cj2a frame for my 1948.  My old frame was beyond repair or it could have cost so much money, stating I don't have welder and other tools to fix it.  So I bought new reproduction frame Willysacres in Barrie, Ontario.  The problem that I have is .....frame is only 29 inch wide, not 29 1/4 according to manual.  It's only 1/8 narrow on both sides.  Will I have a problem later installing engine, transmission and transfer case?  Is there easy fix for it?  

Raj
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 3:43am
Raj,
I can see possible complications with being to narrow causing some problems with motor mounts, trans cross member, leaf springs, body mounts.

Is it a repro 2a or 3a frame? There are some major differences that make some attaching components incompatible. Most significantly is the front engine plate that im going to be putting on your engine. You may want to post a pic if you're unsure. You should also report to me the measurement of distance between the left motor mount and the front cross member.

Joe
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Raj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 8:11am
thank you Joe

I will do that tomorrow.  Yes it's repro frame for 1948 CJ2A.  Bought it from Willysacres.

Raj
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 10:35am
Just a thought... (I am not familiar with repop frames) it may be better to think in terms of dimensions and placement of holes and fixtures instead of just out to out width...(though Joe makes a great point about spring hangers)

Seems like a phone call to the folks that made the frame may help clarify.  I have to believe these are assembled in a  jig at a minimum.

Final thought is there are still solid original frames out there... just talking out loud Wink
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 1:10pm
Have you contacted Willys Acres about it?

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Raj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 9:21pm
hello again Joe

Can you check ur email?  I have sent some pics let me know if that makes any sense?
Raj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2019 at 9:24pm
i have contacted Willysacres but they never sent any response back.  Guy who running the show is Marcus and he is so unreliable, stay away from Willysacres.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 1:00pm
I doubt 1/4" is going to present any issue that can't be resolved. 

As Joe said, might be some conflicts with motor mounts, and possibly cross member, but a few minutes with a rat tail file would probably take care of any of that.
 Post Reply Post Reply