Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frankin Willys Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murphy744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frankin Willys Rebuild
    Posted: 18 July 2019 at 12:38am
I picked this up a couple of weeks ago from my uncle. Its a 1948 CJ2A, with a Supersonic engine, and Ford head. Looks like someone did a poor job building it years ago. I found lots of bad welds on the frame and body, as well as, resin poured on the floor??? The engine runs great, and shifts great...no slipping out od second gear. I'm not sure what direction I will go.....for sure not a period museum piece. I really like the look of the MB grill, so maybe....For now, just getting her stripped down, and start going through the frame, engine and other components. Looking forward to the sicknessClap

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 3:43am
Looks like a great place to start.  Thumbs Up  We've all seen worse. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 5:17am
I would say you're way ahead of the game. Gonna be a fun ride!
    1945 CJ2a 11495
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2019 at 10:51am
I don't like to think someone did a bad job in the past so much as they did a decent job of keeping a vehicle (from when 10-15 years old was a lot) alive long enough to get it to me Wink. Anything can be straightened out and sorted, and everything that you find was done to get it just a little bit further down the road... to you Thumbs Up

Looking forward to following along Smile

Edited by mbullism - 18 July 2019 at 10:54am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
murphy744 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murphy744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 12:56am
Made a little progress tonight. I got the passenger side sanded down to the metal. So far pretty solid. I have a few holes to fill, and a couple of places (rear corner, and lower door area that needs to be patched. Typical damage to the rear corner, where the tire carrier use to be mounted. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 3:17am
Bondo all over the floor?  Looks familiar...
murphy744 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murphy744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2019 at 8:34pm
Finished wire wheeling the outside of the tub today. Also pulled the tool box, to expose the worst of the rot. The trans hump is in really bad shape, as well as the passenger side floor pan. Other than that, looks like some basic patch work and filling the 1000 holes drilled into the tub...Smile

murphy744 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murphy744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2019 at 7:18pm
Made some progress today, I got the tub off and sitting on a stand. Time to go to work on the chassis.

murphy744 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murphy744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2019 at 4:56pm
Big milestone today, finally finished pulling the engine, trans/transfer case out. Getting close to a bare frame to work onClap

67galaxie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67galaxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2019 at 3:41pm
Great start!
murphy744 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murphy744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2019 at 1:35am
More progress. I wanted to have the frame sandblasted, but, decided to just wire wheel it. I was able to remove the PO reenforcement on the front end to expose the original Frame rails. I ordered up new frame horns from D&L Bensinger. I'm pretty sure I can salvage the cross member. Except for the front end damage, the frame is in excellent shape, with nothing but surface rust.

murphy744 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murphy744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 12:38am
Little more work on the frame. New rails, crossmember, upper shock mounts, and battery trey.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 12:45am
 Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
murphy744 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murphy744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2019 at 5:06pm
Got everything burned in. By no means a professional welder, but my grinding skills are awesomeSmileSmile
Need to finish cleaning up the frame, then its paint and primer.

murphy744 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murphy744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2020 at 2:22pm
Life keeps getting in the way, but slowly its getting done. Finally got the primer laid down yesterday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2020 at 10:39pm
Well, those look pretty nice.  Thumbs Up
murphy744 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murphy744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2023 at 9:05pm
Its been a slow build, but I'm getting there. Waiting on the brown truck with my Walcks suspension.

dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2023 at 9:38pm
Looking good
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
 Post Reply Post Reply