Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fredericksburg Battlefield tour - Oct 24th 2020
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fredericksburg Battlefield tour - Oct 24th 2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fredericksburg Battlefield tour - Oct 24th 2020
    Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 12:51am
The Fredericksburg Flat Fender Club (FFFC) invites you to our first battlefield jeep tour on October 24th, 2020. The Fredericksburg Virginia area is rich in history. There are four major Civil War battlefields in the area; Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilderness and Spotsylvania Courthouse. Not to mention George Washington’s boyhood home where legend has it he chopped down a cherry tree, but could not tell a lie about it Wink

This will be a one day, informal tour where we will meet near one of the battlefields and drive through portions off all four. Start time will probably be 10:30am to allow time for folks to arrive and get unloaded.  We are still planning the route, but expect it will be less than 50 miles. We will stop at a few key locations for photo ops and make a patrol through historic downtown Fredericksburg. If folks would like, we can stop at the world famous Carl’s Ice Cream stand for some cool refreshment.

Due to the current COVID situation, we won’t be able to gather afterwards at a restaurant. But FFFC member Shawn Biggar has graciously offered to host an outdoor gathering afterwards with a cookout, BBQ or Pizza at his home near the Chancellorsville battlefield. He also has room for trailer parking.

There will be more to follow as plans solidify.

There are numerous motels in the area and plenty to see. We hope you will join us and enjoy the day or the weekend.  Please let me know if you would like to come.

Steve
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 5:47am
Sounds like a fun time... if I was closer I would definitely join ya! 
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Sounds like a fun time... if I was closer I would definitely join ya! 

Me too, I'm sure you would enjoy it!  Hopefully we can get a few to come.  Its our first time, so I expect a slow start.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2020 at 2:15pm
I have it marked on my calendar,    hoping to be there.       

This will be another year that I can't do Maxon/Dixon,   so this will be a nice substitute.   I have not been to those battlefields in many years,  and will be fun to tour with an expert. Wink

I will probably drive Wilson there,   even though over an hour away  (even more if we take backroads,   . .  cars fly on Rt 20,  so probably will not take that quickest route).   
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2020 at 11:18pm
Our 24 October Fredericksburg Flat Fender Club Battlefield tour will be going through some very historic, and perhaps even a little spooky places. We will be meeting at the Chancellorsville battlefield visitor center, which is located at the site of General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson's wounding. This was a tragic, accidental event that occurred as Jackson was returning to his lines after scouting out the enemy's position. He was wounded by men of Lane's North Carolina brigade, of which my Great Great Grandfather was a member! If you get to the visitor center, you can walk back behind it to a monument that identifies the location.

Part of our tour will take us through The Wilderness battlefield and right past Ellwood Manor. This is the site where Jackson's arm was buried after being amputated at a nearby field hospital. The tale of Jackson's arm is quite a story on its own. Follow the link below to read more about this. 

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 12:45pm
We had a great battlefield tour yesterday. Photos are posted on our Facebook group page.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2020 at 1:18pm
Thanks Steve for organizing this event.    The weather turned out great.   I was a little worried because I left in the rain for the 43 mile drive.    Fortunately, the rain was gone just a few miles down the road as I headed east.

The leaves are starting to change which really added to scenery.  I like how the American flags add atmosphere to the photos.   The Fredericksburg crew were a fun group to hang out with.  Your history lessons were very interesting.  Smile     I enjoyed the tour very much.

-Ron
 Post Reply Post Reply