Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front Axle Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Axle Upgrade
    Posted: 28 June 2022 at 12:55pm
I have a GPW front axle in my jeep, Dana 25, with Bendix style axle shafts. I am getting a clicking when I steer full travel. I’m told it’s the balls binding up. I want to upgrade the axle shafts to the Spicer style that was in the CJ5. 

I need to confirm the length of the axles so I can buy the correct Spicer style. I could take mine apart to measure but I’m no mechanic so I really only want to dismantle the axle once to perform the upgrade. 

So I have 2 questions…

Does anyone know the length of the front axle shafts in a CJ2A? My threaded ends are cut to allow for locking hubs.

Will any CJ5 front axle shafts fit in a CJ2A or GPW axle. Or did the CJ5 come in different widths.

Thanks for the help.

Appreciated!
15 Field RCA
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 4:05pm
Most axles from 1955-1971 CJ’s  are Spicer shafts.
24-1/2” and 31-1/2” lengths. All vintages of Dana 25 and 27 shafts are fully interchangeable excluding the method of end float adjustment.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply