Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

front axle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farmer John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front axle
    Posted: 30 Sep. 2020 at 11:59pm
First please bear with me as I'm new to Jeeps. I have a CJ-2a that I just bought that was supposed to be completely redone but is a catastrophe mechanically and safety wise actually could have gotten me killed, but I'm gaining on it, new body turned out to be the only thing good on it. Anyhow I'm in my 60's have worked on farm equipment and heavy equipment all my life was a Service Manager for an Allis/ Same/Kubota/ New Holland  dealer in another lifetime, and now just a retired farmer. Anyhow the head gasket blew with about 150 miles on it, I got that squared away drove another 150 and one of the inserts came out from under the #4 exhaust valve and went thru everything before I could shut 'er down. Rebuild they did for $1400.00 turned out to be a hone job on wore out +.060 cylinders didn't even bother to take out ridge in #3, don't even think about doing "pull clearance" on those, gauge would fall down into the pan. Fun and games, so much for much for taking a ride for coffee when you need a break from it all,LOL. Anyhow down to my question for the eons of knowledge that's out there. I have a "snap/binding" noise when I come to a stop and push the clutch in, pretty sure sounds like the front axle, and sounds almost like a bad u-joint they're new but that means nothing with the people that worked on it, haven't taken propeller's down to check them. Some movement in shafts, wobble,spline wear I can fix that. Todays question is snapping noise and if I may, left steering hub has a slight click in it. Is that a possible worn Rezeppa or Bendix ? Doesn't seem like a Spicer would make that noise when you move the wheel ever so slightly back and forth. Seems like a lot of backlash, I don't think worn axle splines and spiders in diff  would make that much play. They worked on that as well. Anyhow I dread getting out the Prussian blue, great shades of tractor rear ends, R&P's take forever to set up if you don't have factory gauges, and The "Universal Guide has very little compared to factory tractor shop manuals. Is there a better manual? I will greatly appreciate all of your help, I know there is a vast wealth of practical applied knowledge from folks that have actually been there and really worked on them, not just opinions. Thanks so very much, John
john
 Post Reply Post Reply