Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front cross member cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front cross member cover
    Posted: 07 May 2008 at 4:00pm
Is anyone aware of a front crossmember "cover"? I just bought a 46 2A 38950 for parts and it has a formed, sheetmetal cover the is attached to the front cross member with 2 sheetmetal type slotted screws. It is also attached to the bottom lip of the grille with 2 bolts. Attached to the back edge of it a piece of the "horse hair" filler that butts up agains the bottom of the radiator.  I've seen dozens of 2A's but I've never seen this part. It's rusty but repairable.  Are there reproductions of this part? It is specific to any year of 2A? Is it correct for a '45? Thanks
old iron
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 5:36pm
It's called a "brush guard".  In the parts list:
663550 Kit, Chaff Screen and Brush Guard
Wanted, front frame cover

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 7:01pm
what color is it? body color? bubba painted over color? or just plain black? i am leaving mine black, but there has been much discussion about original color of this item...nice find..low

Edited by lowenuf - 07 May 2008 at 7:04pm
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

what color is it? body color? bubba painted over color? or just plain black?
Yes, Yes and Yes! Wink

Probably another "we'll never know for sure", but I have my opinion.  It was an optional item, so:
  • if installed on the assembly line - body color
  • if purchased & added aftermarket - black
I have 2 of them:
  • one came off my '46.  Underneath the bubba red paint, is only black.  The underside is also black.  No trace of original body color anywhere
  • the other I got in a bunch of original Harvest Tan sheetmetal samples.  There's some bubba red overspray on the front side, on top of the Harvest Tan.  Under the Harvest Tan it's black.  The underside is unpainted, w/oversparay of Harvest Tan around the edges.  No primer!
Sean
 Post Reply Post Reply