Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front Differential Lube etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47mountain cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Differential Lube etc.
    Posted: 31 May 2018 at 4:14pm
I have just bought my first CJ2A, a 1947 in pretty nice shape and will undoubtedly have a bunch of questions for you guys. The previous owner who did the bulk of the restoration told me that he never intended to take the jeep off road and that the hubs ( Warn ) "had no guts in them". This was not really an issue as I wanted something of a project but not a complete basket case. I pulled the plug on the front differential and found that it has no lube at all in it. My question is whether this is safe or not. I also do want to get the 4WD working at some point so what would you suspect the  " no guts in it " would require to fix. Thanks in advance.

Matt
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 4:21pm
Welcome aboard!  There is a ton of great info here, get familiar with the search function.  

You definitely want oil in the differential.  Also be sure there is pudding in the knuckles.  If the Warn hubs are missing the guts, you'll never connect the wheels to the axles.  Plan on either replacing or rebuilding them (if you can find the missing parts).
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 3:53am
Matt, Welcome to the madness!

The search feature is useless unless you click on the "Advanced Search" button, then it works OK.

If neither he, nor you, drove the Jeep with the 4WD lever engaged, you may be OK with no gear lube in the front axle. I highly recommend addressing this issue ASAP. Is the front drive shaft installed? If not, you should be OK.

Knuckle Pudding in the steering knuckles is essential. Get some John Deere corn head grease, or some other lube that others on this site recommend. I have used the John Deere grease to good effect. YMMV.

Last, but not least is the need for pictures of this Jeep. Please & Thank you!

Again, Welcome Aboard, Cpt Logger.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 3:59am
It may be faster and easier to find a set of original hubs than to find Warn parts.
What you want to do will depend on how you intend to use it and how much of a hurry you are in.
1946 CJ2A 14098
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 5:55am
Also, are there actually axle shafts in the axle?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 6:25am
I would pull the differential cover and see what, if anything, is inside.
And, of course, we want a picture.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
47mountain cj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47mountain cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 3:30am
Got a chance to crawl under and look for the front drive shaft and it is in place. The Jeep apparently according to the previous owner has never been running 4wd. Inside the differential the gears are in place and appear in good shape although I am only looking through the filler port. I don't know about axles being on place. I guess I will have to pull one of the warn hubs to see. I bought gl-5 for the front diff and ordered cornhead grease for the knuckles. Thanks for the input and here's a pic of the CJ.

Matt
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 4:05am
If it really is in as gooda shape as it looks, you should have this sorted out pretty soon.
1946 CJ2A 14098
 Post Reply Post Reply