Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front driveshaft for CJ2a

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chorrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front driveshaft for CJ2a
    Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 7:41pm
About a year ago I bought a 47 CJ2a at a junkyard for $600:

After buying a lot of parts from Walcks and Kaiser Willys, a lot of help from the forum here, and a lot of elbow grease I finally got it pretty close to where I want it to be:

In driving it on the highway I hear a pretty dramatic rumbling when I lift off the throttle, in between engine powering the wheels and engine braking.  I feel a fair amount of play in the splined interface between the yoke and the shaft on the front driveshaft, but the U-joints are good.  Anyone have an extra front driveshaft sitting around that they'd part with? One with the splined sections that are still good and tight?

Thanks,
Chuck
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 7:47pm
Can't help with the driveshaft, just wanted to say nice job Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Can't help with the driveshaft, just wanted to say nice job Thumbs Up

Agreed, I cannot help either but man what a difference a year makes!  Nice Job!  I have never seen a flat fender in a junk yard, ever.  You should post up a thread showing how it started and where it is now.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
Roadmap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadmap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 9:27pm
I will check this evening. I know I have 2 but need to check if they are worn or not. Where in NC are you? I am just west of Winston.
chorrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chorrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 9:33pm
Amazing - thanks for looking.  I'm actually a little west of Winston as well, up near Wilkesboro.

-Chuck
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2021 at 11:11pm
That is an amazing junkyard find these days, and yes you did a fine job bringing it back. Very nice looking.

"I have never seen a flat fender in a junk yard, ever."

When I was into Jeeps last time, which was 30 something years ago, there was a 4X4 repair garage just down the road from where I live now. That place had a junkyard with several rows of flat fender Jeeps from WW2 on up, with a long row of old Willys Pick ups along the back fence. A lot of those were in better shape than some that were still on the road.

A couple years ago I drove over there to see if they were still in the business. Found out the man who ran that outfit had retired years ago, and all those Jeeps were hauled away long time ago. I hope they didn't go to a scrap yard, but I didn't want to ask. It was the old man's son I talked to and he now operates a grave stone business out of there.  
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Roadmap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadmap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 2:42am
PM sent
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 3:56pm
Looks like a CJ3A windshield on that Jeep. You could probably find someone who would swap for a CJ2A windshield if that mattered to you, but it would not bother me a bit, I am not afraid of the Jeep Police.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Roadmap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadmap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2021 at 9:38pm
Chuck,
PM sent.
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2021 at 10:16pm
I have one.
If interested please PM for info.
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2021 at 5:39pm
I had about the same problem with the front shaft on my pickup, good u-joints but worn out spline. I had the shaft rebuilt by a driveshaft specialty shop, cost $140. They just cut the old spline off and welded a new one on then balanced it. If you buy a used one you are taking a chance on the condition and whether the yokes will interchange
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
chorrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chorrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2021 at 7:01pm
Thanks for all the replies on this - I think Roadmap has got a suitable replacement for mine, and he's closeby so I can avoid shipping.

I'll try to take some more pictures and do another writeup with a little more detail on the restoration process, although it's been rattling around in the mountains for the last couple months so will look a lot muddier than when I had just finished it.

I will share this recent shot - I bolted a little hitch on the front bumper and have been using it to pull/push a haywagon around to haul big pieces of metal:

A couple years ago my dad and I bought a 100' high USFS fire tower on an online auction.  It took us a week to get it disassembled, and we're working on putting it back up now on the family farm.  

We found that with the weird steering of the haywagon it's easier to maneuver if you push it with the end of the jeep with the wheels that steer.  It still requires some mental gymnastics, but can be done.

-Chuck
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2021 at 9:40pm
What ya gonna do with that tower? I have family in Kansas that have about a 50 ft tower on their farm one of the things they do is they have a low power FM radio station that the antenna is on the tower it covers about 5-6 farms in their area (their farm is a little over 8 square miles) and it broadcasts from and internet radio station to the FM radios in the tractors and trucks. I know now days with Cell phones thats not a big deal but they have done this for like 30 years. My cousin says it does weird him out when he's half asleep plowing a field (tractor runs on GPS straightest furrows you ever seen) and all of a sudden the music stops and his MOM is tell him to come in for Lunch or something LOL.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
NC flatfender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC flatfender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2021 at 1:54am
I got a 79' IDECO fire tower at auction, and just put the top section and cab back up as a clubhouse for the kids. Mama was not going for the full installation. If you put up 100' on a high spot in Wilkesboro, you should have quite a view.
two CJ2As plus a 4-63 truck, all needing attention
 Post Reply Post Reply