Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

front spindles and wheel bearings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote con2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front spindles and wheel bearings
    Posted: 21 Jan. 2020 at 11:12pm
I disassembled my front brakes for a thorough rebuild.  The inside races on both the inner and outer wheel bearings appear to have spun, as indicated by marks on the spindle.  Same on both sides.  The inside of the spindle nut washers also show wear marks where they contact the outer wheel bearings.  I can easily slide the inner and outer wheel bearings on and off of the spindle, but they don't seem to have any side-to-side play.  The bearings should slip onto the spindles without pressing, correct?  I'll be replacing the bearings.  Does it sound like my spindles need replaced as well?  
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2020 at 11:18pm
Yes, the bearings just slip onto the spindles. No pressing. Always replace bearings and races together with brand matched parts. Replacing just one part (the bearing and not the race, or vice versa) will lead to premature failure. 

No reason to replace the spindles if there is no damage to them.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2020 at 11:19pm
The bearings are designed to be a slip fit on the spindle. The races are a press fit into the hub.

X2 on what Wheelie said.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2020 at 11:20pm
The inner wheel bearing should be held into the hub by the inner seal. It should slide off the spindle with the hub when removed. The outer wheel bearing can be removed once the spindle nuts and washers are removed. Both should slide on and fit as you describe.

When you reassemble, tighten the spindle nut until you feel drag on the bearings while spinning the hub, then back off 1/6 of a turn.
Dave
con2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote con2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2020 at 5:06pm
Thanks folks.  Now that I read those replies, I think the "spin" marks on the spindles (though not excessive) might have been due to the spindle nuts not being tight enough.  I'll follow those recommendations for tightening. Oh, and sorry about the slow reply on my part... I didn't sit at the computer at all over the last week.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2020 at 5:47pm
The inner race of the bearing is supposed to turn on the spindle. This ensures that the wear on the inner race is not always in the same place. I would not say they “spin”, but “walk” is the word used when it was explained to me. The spindle should have a light coat of grease to provide lubrication for this and to prevent rust. BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply