Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Gauge Erratic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Gauge Erratic
    Posted: 30 July 2021 at 6:15am
I just replaced the fuel gauge and sender on my '46 CJ2a.  I tested the sender unit ut of the tank and all works well.  When I turn on the key the gauge reads accurately.  When I start the engine the fuel gauge reads accurately at idle, but when I apply power it goes to full no matter how much fuel is in the tank.  When I stop at a light and the motor goes back to idle the gauge reads accurately again. 

This is more a minor inconvenience than a serious problem since I don't drive long distances, but I want to make sure there isn't some larger electrical problem lurking.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 10:23am
What voltage gauge did you get?
BOULDER 48 2A
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 12:24pm
Six volt.  I have a six volt system.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2021 at 1:58pm
Chech the voltage output, sounds like the charging system is at fault.
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 6:30am
Where is the best point to check?  The generator is a somewhat recent rebuild from the PO.  The regulator doesn't look original but is pretty old.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
DMusil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMusil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 7:08am
Hook a meter up to the battery.
DMusil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 8:36am
I'll hook a meter up to the battery.  I'm guessing check voltage while engine is off, at idle, and at 1000 rpm or so.  What are the correct parameters for a six volt system?
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 10:46am
At least 2000 rpm or more to evaluate regulator output. Leave the lights off in case the voltage is real high as 6v bulbs will fail. Maybe PO had a 12v generator built??
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 12:04pm
Battery voltage with engine off: 6.49
Battery voltage at idle (640 rpm) engine warmed up: 7.05
Battery voltage @1000 rpm: 8.26
Battery voltage @2000 rpm: 8.18

I noticed when revving the engine from idle the ammeter pegs up to 40, then settles down to just on the plus side of center. 
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 12:38pm
Regulated voltage spec is 7.1 to 7.3. The manual describes how to adjust the regulator (section I). Or,  a new reg is a Standard Motor Products VR2.
BOULDER 48 2A
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 1:39pm
I forgot to mention, all connections between the generator and regulator should be checked for cleanliness, shorts, opens, and a proper ground from reg to generator.
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2021 at 2:27pm
Looks like my regulated voltage is a bit high.  I'll check the manual to see if it can be adjust within spec.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
 Post Reply Post Reply