Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Leak revisited and carb question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsteed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Leak revisited and carb question
    Posted: 30 Apr. 2013 at 5:35am
So.... I removed my carb tonight as it has been leaking fuel at the intake manifold gasket (or at least thats what I think). Carb looks good inside, very clean. Since it has been running well, I don't think I need to tear it down. I, like others here suggested, thought the fuel leak was probably due in part to the fuel pressure and the solex carb. So, I thought about a pressure regulator. Nevertheless, the carb is off so I'll replace the gasket. But now that I look down that intake, I can't think of why the increased fuel pressure would cause the fuel to leak out the gasket. In fact, I doubt it has anything to do with it. Thoughts??

Also, is this heat shield supposed to be here...? 

I haven't seen it anywhere else. 

I'll replace the gasket (which looked good!) and see if that stops the leak. If it doesn't, I'll install the pressure regulator. I'm resisting the pressure regulator because a) I'll have to cut into the fuel line (all metal from pump to tank) and b) I don't want to add anything to the engine that isn't absolutely necessary. 
Jordan
------------------------------
No you can't play with my toys!
jsteed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsteed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2013 at 6:17am
And follow up question... How in the world do you torque the nuts down that mount the carb? I could barely find the room to get a small wrench in there. There's NO WAY I'm getting my torque wrench in there. The nuts seemed a little loose, so I'm wondering if that contributed to the leak... 
Jordan
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2013 at 6:59am
Get rid of the Solex and get a Carter WO, after market foreign made items are C_ _ _ t!!!!
"COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2013 at 10:39am
How thick is that gasket? Is it a diffuser? If it is thin, heat from the manifold transfers very easily and can cause fuel to boil out at the bottom. The heat shield is there to help protect the carb from exhaust manifold heat radiation. 
jsteed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsteed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2013 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by dodjh dodjh wrote:

Get rid of the Solex and get a Carter WO, after market foreign made items are C_ _ _ t!!!!

HAHAHAHAHHHAAAA! I actually would really like a carter, but a decent one looks like big bucks online and many places require a core. If you ship me one I'll replace it ASAP! 

The gasket is thick, I believe it probably is a diffuser, it has the triangle thingy on it. looks relatively new. But with that plate there, I can see how there's a leak because there's still metal on metal with the plate there. Its thick, measures at .051. I'm going to ditch the plate and see what happens. I'll be sure to keep the fire extinguisher in the jeep for a while (haha).

JS
Jordan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2013 at 3:40pm
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2013 at 4:21pm
The think gasket with the diffuser needs to be crushed to collapse the circular bits that are preventing the gasket from sealing.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2013 at 4:30pm
I regularly use a 7" long 9/16" open end wrench to tighten the nuts enough to crush the copper clad bushings in the diffuser. Just tight enough to seal.
jsteed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsteed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2013 at 8:14pm
Yeah, that's what I used to get it off, no problem. But some people have said it needs to be torqued down properly. Maybe that meant with an open end wrench! 

On another note... it looks like a member here has made me a ridiculously generous offer on a w-o carb. I can't believe what they sell for online and on ebay. I bid up to 150 on ebay and didn't even hit the reserve. No longer will I bother looking there for my jeep parts! I'm not even going to bother putting the solex back on. The price of the carb is less than the fuel pressure regulator and the brass fittings for it, not to mention the originality and US made factor, which is priceless. 

One step at a time. 

JS
Jordan
 Post Reply Post Reply